Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned From Mobile forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Pythia wrote: »
    I've unbanned you for now.

Let the Corinthian decide when he returns, but you're ok for now.

Did you miss corinthians and my posts highlighting his where he made a decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Boston wrote: »
    Did you miss corinthians and my posts highlighting his where he made a decision?

Actually I did as he hadn't posted in the thread in the mod forum and I had read this thread before so just skimmed through it again, missed the Corinthian's post. :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Pythia wrote: »
    Actually I did as he hadn't posted in the thread in the mod forum and I had read this thread before so just skimmed through it again, missed the Corinthian's post. :eek:

The ban is pointless. I think most people would agree it should be lifted, so its best reamin lifted. Iv sent a PM to Corinthian but I assume he is on a christmas break like most of the admins at the moment

I don't think hassling him until you get the outcome you want, is likely to get you the outcome you want. Its even money that he comes back and rebans PHD

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sully wrote: »
    but I assume he is on a christmas break like most of the admins
    WTF. He's an admin? :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

That confused me soooo much.

I don't think hassling him until you get the outcome you want, is likely to get you the outcome you want. Its even money that he comes back are rebans PHD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

That confused me soooo much.

I think he means, "Its even money [is in odds] that he comes back and rebans PHD".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Let the guy have his access. He's a productive member of the forum, and not a messer.

He has also admitted his error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Right, seeing that people are looking for a decision and none of the admins are about I'll give one.

One one hand, as pointed out th user blatantly broke the rules on advertising. The penalty for which is permanent banning. On the other hand there has been a significant outcry as to this user's continued contribution.

As such the ban will be lifted. However, the fact remains that he broke the rules and as such the ban will remain in place for one week (from this past Friday). As such he is again banned until then.

I trust this will bring an end to this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

A fair solution, Corinthian.

And we did all without cat pics! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Let the guy have his access. He's a productive member of the forum, and not a messer.

He has also admitted his error.

I think the above strikes out the "You only got one chance" rule. Think adding a week is pointless and serves no purpose. I certinally dont agree, but your the mod.

So basicly i get a two week ban,Not much i can do. Thanks guy for standing up for me if it wasn't for ye i would def have closed my boards account in disgust lol. Till Friday :( (What am i going to do till then?)

I think the above strikes out the "You only got one chance" rule. Think adding a week is pointless and serves no purpose. I certinally dont agree, but your the mod.

Mod discretion.

The moderator in question has applied theirs, and I think it's quite a fair compromise.

@PHD, close your laptop and go for a walk/pint/etc., 'tis only a website and the New Year beckons.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think the above strikes out the "You only got one chance" rule.
    No it does not. PowerHouseDan's case was exceptional and because of his previous and continued contributions to the community it was changed.
    Think adding a week is pointless and serves no purpose.
    I explained the reason.
    I certinally dont agree, but your the mod.
    Indeed.
    So basicly i get a two week ban
    One week.

People seem to be forgetting this is PHDs fault, not the mods

A fault which he admited, apologised and corrected. He got banned for it, unbanned and now the mod decided to go power crazy and ban em for another week for the sake of it (well, apparently to show that breaking the rules is not permitted. Another week, somehow makes a differnec). That, in my opinion, is a waste of time.

PHD I would imagine realise if he steps out of line again he can forget his boards.ie account. Any other user will realse PHD got of easy beccause of his contribution to the forums, admiting his mistake, apologising and agreeing to pay for advertising in future. I cant see them thinking if they break the rules they will get away. Clearly - they dont.

Give an inch and people take a mile. Thats the problem.

Who said it was the mod's fault?

PHD made a mistake, the moderator used their discretion, and on re-examination of the situation, a reasonable compromise is reached. I think The Corinthian was prudent in his decision, and I agree with that, because the situation can always be looked at afterwards.

So yes, it was technically PHD's fault, but I think it was merely a slip-up, and I don't think we need to assign blame here at all.

sully is posting as if the only reason PHD is banned is because the mod is one a mad power trip, ergo its the mods fault.

Give an inch and people take a mile. Thats the problem.
    How do you figure that out?

And in relation to your previous post about people seemed to forget that it was PHDs fault and not the mods well I didnt read anywhere here in this thread that anyone blamed the forum mods for anything to do with the banning in the first place. You were the only one who alluded to this matter.

• Advertisement

sully is posting as if the only reason PHD is banned is because the mod is one a mad power trip, ergo its the mods fault.

Ah, quoted you before he replied there. Yes, I agree, Sully is going a bit overboard here. Changing a permanent to a week long ban is totally going mad with power. :rolleyes:

What was the point in saying if a mod unbans me then fair enough yet wheni get unbanned i get banned again doesnt make sense.

What was the point in saying if a mod unbans me then fair enough yet wheni get unbanned i get banned again doesnt make sense.

My reading of it is that you're still banned for the original offence, until next Friday.

It does make a bit of sense actually. One mod perm banned you and after that you started this thread. Sully then posted in the mods forum asking for the matter to be reviewed as you hadn't got a reply to your PMs.

As a result of the thread in the mods forum a different mod unbanned you but was unaware that The Corinthian had already stated in this thread that you wouldnt be allowed access again.

I think it was a bit of a mix up between the mods concerned but I can see the Corinthians point that you shouldnt just get off scott free either. The mods did take into account the feedback here and have taken a big step back in reducing your ban down to 1 week which I think is more than fair.

Sit it out for the week and forget about this thread as you are now in a good position. You have probably got a lot more out of this than others in a similar situation.

muffler wrote: »
    How do you figure that out?

And in relation to your previous post about people seemed to forget that it was PHDs fault and not the mods well I didnt read anywhere here in this thread that anyone blamed the forum mods for anything to do with the banning in the first place. You were the only one who alluded to this matter.

See my reply to karl

If I was the mod, I would have removed the ban and made sure PHD knew damn well if he slips up again its perm and will not be removed. Ever. Mainly, based on the facts surrounding the case at hand.

I do not agree with the re-banning and iv expressed my opinions clearly. Ill leave it at that, its my opinion and thats all it really is. It boils down to the mod and the admin at the end of the day.
    Ah, quoted you before he replied there. Yes, I agree, Sully is going a bit overboard here. Changing a permanent to a week long ban is totally going mad with power. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, a bit overboard. I just disagree and am expressing that comment. You would as well, if you felt the same. I would not go as far as suggesting he was on a power trip.

You know full well what happened. You where unbanned by a mod pending a decision by the mod that banned you. And you where told by me it was likely you'd be rebanned. How is any of this a surprise to you?

muffler has explained the reason for your banning. See below. :)
    It does make a bit of sense actually. One mod perm banned you and after that you started this thread. Sully then posted in the mods forum asking for the matter to be reviewed as you hadn't got a reply to your PMs.

As a result of the thread in the mods forum a different mod unbanned you but was unaware that The Corinthian had already stated in this thread that you wouldnt be allowed access again.

I think it was a bit of a mix up between the mods concerned but I can see the Corinthians point that you shouldnt just get off scott free either. The mods did take into account the feedback here and have taken a big step back in reducing your ban down to 1 week which I think is more than fair.

Sit it out for the week and forget about this thread as you are now in a good position. You have probably got a lot more out of this than others in a similar situation.

See my reply to karl
    Ah! You were referring to Sully. Sorry I thought it was the OP

• Advertisement

The unbanning mod had said, rightly, that it was TC's ban to overrule on his return if he wished, which he did so as below.

On the basis of user representation on behalf of PHD, the ban was commuted, to run until next Friday.

Surely that's an end to it, OP.

Advertisement