Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free credit with a new phone

• 24-12-2007 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Since O2 have changed the T&Cs for the free credit when you get an upgrade (you now have to buy €20 credit a month, every month, to get the €10 "free" credit, or else you forfeit it), do any of the others (vodafone, meteor or 3) have decent offers?

It was very nice to be able to get a new phone every 8 or so months with the €80 or €90 free credit to keep you going....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Vodafone and meteor both do the same - in fact meteor have been doing it for a lot longer than o2.

Don't know about meteor though.

To be fair to o2 with all their new price plans you'd probably be topping up by 20e a month anyways to use them so it does *kinda* make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I'm probably on of the few people that would only spend €10 a month on phone credit anyway so O2s new price plans are useless to me anyway. I usually receive far more calls than I have to make due to my work, so I only really use my phone for personally use during off peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Recon wrote: »
    I'm probably on of the few people that would only spend €10 a month on phone credit anyway so O2s new price plans are useless to me anyway. I usually receive far more calls than I have to make due to my work, so I only really use my phone for personally use during off peak times.

so register the imei to someones number who DOES top up with 20 a month and let them get the credit, when you buy a phone its at a massively subsidised price that the network is basically paying for, thats why the 20 topup was brought in, you're already getting the handset for less than half its actual cost and you were getting free credit as well without any revenue for the network

krudler wrote: »
    so register the imei to someones number who DOES top up with 20 a month and let them get the credit, when you buy a phone its at a massively subsidised price that the network is basically paying for, thats why the 20 topup was brought in, you're already getting the handset for less than half its actual cost and you were getting free credit as well without any revenue for the network

I know that, and I'd like to keep it that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Vodafone do it now also but only require a 10 euro topup per month.

May suit you better.

• Advertisement

buddy wrote: »
    Vodafone do it now also but only require a 10 euro topup per month.

May suit you better.

Thanks, I'll probably move to them when I run out of phone credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

With 3 you get €10 up front on the sim, €10 when you port your number over onto their network and €10 per month provided you top up by €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I rang Meteor about this they told me a new connection gets €10 free credit with €10 top-up the previous month, and upgrade customers get €10 free credit with €20 top-up the previous month. So there's not the same incentive to upgrade. There must have been a massive drop in upgrade sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Upgrades are only 10e a month as well. Definitely not 20e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

vodafone top-up for free credit only applies to their advertised Christmas offers!

afaik meteor do not require monthly top-up for free credit even though they say it on their website i have never been required to top-up for it and o2 are just so expensive why would anyone chose them anyway?

three network ask for €10 top-up to get €10 and tesco have some ridiculas €10 top-up to recieve €7.50 or €8.50

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »

nobody cares how much the network subs a phone it is still sold at a certain price and unless they want to start relatint the prices to the subsidy and releasing info on all their subsidising habits network people should just be quiet and stop saying we are getting something for nothing!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    afaik meteor do not require monthly top-up for free credit even though they say it on their website i have never been required to top-up for it....
    Are you sure about this FoggyLad? The change only came in for new connections/upgrades in June/July this year.

they have always stated on website that free credit was subject to top-up and for my last upgrade and last phone from them it was real FREE credit!

You're saying they're still giving no top-up needed freebie credit? But have you upgraded since June/July, or know anyone who has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You have to top up by 10e. If foggy isn't, then it's a system mess up as I've seen loads of people who haven't topped up and have gotten nothing

nope not upgraded since july/august but they are not offering anything then as they are giving the same credit only it is not free! what a rubbish descision for them to make!

Advertisement