Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to view the POST screen with no CPU installed?

• 24-12-2007 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am having the most headwrecking time of late with my rig. I had a defective mobo so i replaced it at the weekend. However when fitted my PC will not turn on. So in order to eliminate which part is the problem i am wondering is it possible for the PC to show the Post screen without CPU and/or RAM installed?

Happy Christmas
    Flop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im sure it probably is possible some how. But i cant think of a way to get it to post with no cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

Without ram...yes, without cpu....no.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another lower spec cpu ?

seriously the POST is done by the CPU
    you can get POST cards so you can view the POST codes without a video card or monitor

One thing I've always wanted was for the PC to be able to boot up on the cache memory of the CPU so you could run diags / format drives without needing RAM

Advertisement