Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

530d Oil Type vs Service Interval

Options
  • 24-12-2007 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on long-life synthetic oil with long service interval VS semi-synthetic oil and shorter service intervals. Car is an 03 E39 530d.

Two options :
    1) Use BMW approved LL oil (0w30 I think), and service according to the green/amber/red timer ... oil change approx every 18k miles.
    or
    2) Use non-approved oil (5w30? Castrol semi-synthetic), and change oil every 6k miles, regardless of driving style etc.

To me it seems that 18k is a very long service interval, and that the more frequent changes under option 2 would be better for the engine long-term.

I'm assuming here that the long-life oil is put in by BMW in order to give the longer service intervals that seem to have become the norm in more modern cars???

Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I also use BMW LL approved oil on my 320d (E46). I don't care what the on board computer says, I change my oil every 8k regardless. Some might say a bit OTT but it's my choice. I also change the crankcase breather filter every SECOND oil change (ie. 16k)

Advertisement