Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unpriced items in spar

Options
  • 24-12-2007 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing happens a lot in spar shops ?

I noticed it one time and since then most spar shops I end up going into find that as much as 40% (-ish) of what they sell is simply not priced.

I know you can ask at the till but you shouldnt have to. I think this is so that people will buy things thinking - it cant be that expensive - whereas if they knew the actual price they may decide not to.

Has anyone else seen this ? They will have items on the shelf where there is a row of 6 or 7 and one of them will be priced and there will be 5 price labels for other (not present) items covering the other items on the shelf. I know this sounds a bit wacky but I have noticed it in seperate shops so its not just isolated mismanagement - it seems to be a policy of theirs or at least a widespread practice among shop managers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Did you know that for every item not priced in a shop (excluding shops that display price on front of shelf) they can be fined €2000 for each item not marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Did you know that for every item not priced in a shop (excluding shops that display price on front of shelf) they can be fined €2000 for each item not marked.

obviously this is not very well enforced
    but who is supposed to enforce it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

green123 wrote: »
    but who is supposed to enforce it ?
    The National Consumer Agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Slightly off topic - PC World is the same. It was 'interesting' being there on Monday buying a XBOX360 game to see one 'floor' employee ask one 'till' employee for a price on an item.

You would think someone would consider the following, ignoring consumer complaints and law issues.

1. Perhaps if all items were clearly marked with prices, more will be sold (or not, perhaps its a scam)?

2. How much time is wasted by everyone, clients including, asking for the same stupid prices over and over again?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

just looking at the consumer website, u won't see many shops with these!
    http://www.nca.ie/eng/Business_Zone/Shoppers'%20Rights%20Cards/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

it annoys me senseless as well. Don't think there is any enforcement of it. Maybe email the NCA with a complaint about a specific shop to see if they do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Cabaal wrote: »

I know for a fact that the Homebase shop in Sligo has plenty of them at their tills for the customers but I don't know exactly how useful/helpful they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Cabaal wrote: »

They had them in the shop I used to work in, and also Boots had them at their tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Chaz wrote: »
    Slightly off topic - PC World is the same. It was 'interesting' being there on Monday buying a XBOX360 game to see one 'floor' employee ask one 'till' employee for a price on an item.
    PC World are truely dreadful for not pricing items - and have been for years. I challenged a store manager about it once but he just fobbed me off with some lame excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

unfortunately i have mis matched price labels and gone up to the till, find out that the item is more than i thought it had said. designed to confuse and embarrass the customer whom the shop think won't back down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

hellboy99 wrote: »

Spar have shelf price tags. Items aren't individually priced - the slot on the shelf is labelled and priced.
    McSween wrote: »
    unfortunately i have mis matched price labels and gone up to the till, find out that the item is more than i thought it had said. designed to confuse and embarrass the customer whom the shop think won't back down

I think that that is what is going on at least some of the times in more than one shop that I have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I have twice walked out of PC World when in to buy small items and gone to Argos instead because of their incompetence with keeping price labels on products. At least there is no fear of that happening in Argos (once you find the product on a page around the one it says in the catalogue!!!).

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

PC World in Mahon Point has a majority of their products unlabelled. I made a few complaints to the ODCA and NCA but they seem to go into a black hole.

It's almost fun to go in and get the staff to do price checks - maybe they will eventually realise what's wrong. Then again it's easier to go to the new Argos three doors down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For some strange reason, the likes of PC-World is not covered by the Consumer regulations. However I was doing a labelling project for a convenience store a couple of years back and came under pressure because the OCDA came round and threatened to close them down unless they got all the shelf labelling corrected PDQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

This Mace in Blessington never had the prices listed for the sandwiches.

I said it the the manager, told me they were waiting on some signs (all they needed was a marker to write on the price list board). I was using that shop for about 3 months never saw a price list.

Plus i stoped buying the breakfast roll cos they were charging 4 euro ,I could get the same roll in a Mace in Portmarnock for 3.50 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

put simply when items in spar or other small convenience stores are not priced the customer usually quesses that they are only slightly dearer than say tesco prices and when they then notice a greater difference at the till they feel embarrassed about putting the item back! so it is a form of deception!

also i thought they must have prices displayed under each product on shelves??

Advertisement