Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home network configuration

Options
  • 24-12-2007 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Some relatives have recently got a dsl connection and I'm trying to set it up as best as possible for them.

At the moment, the connection is situated in an office in a seperate building - with a 50m cable run into the house. Theres a netopia 2247 wireless router in the office. I want to move the wireless router into the house - with it more or less acting as a bridge. Wireless is not needed in the office - just need bog standard router acting as internet gateway. I have an old ZyXel Prestige 660RU-T1 router (from BT). It has 1 ethernet port and one USB Port.

Couple of questions...
    Can the prestige be used with an eircom connection?
    Can both the ethernet and usb ports be used together or is it only possible to use either/or? (i need the ethernet port for the cable run to the house).

The other aspect of this is that I need to connect a network device to the router in the house - which will need to connect to a server and update every minute or so. How much more difficult is it to setup port forwarding with this setup?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You should be able to use te Zyxel with the Eircom, just copy over the relevant login details etc from the Netopia.

Don't use the USB for broadband, they're very tempermental from my experience, and not worth the hassle. Ethernet is much more reliable.

What you should do is buy an ethernet hub and plug it into the Zyxel. Then plug any PCs in the office into the hub, along with the 50m cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

or just get an access point for the house . a lot easier to set up... two routers on one dsl connection can get hairy if not set up correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I presumed the OP just wants to use the one router on the dsl, and the other (the eircom) just as a router, taking an ethernet connection from the zyxel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Sean_K wrote: »
    I presumed the OP just wants to use the one router on the dsl, and the other (the eircom) just as a router, taking an ethernet connection from the zyxel
    Yes, thats right. I do.

Is it really that difficult to configure two routers as opposed to 1 router and a bridge/access point?
    My last experience with Access Points wasnt a good one (Linksys kit that ended up in the bin)

Advertisement