Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Day hey?

• 24-12-2007 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Some people hate it, others love it but most agree its probably the most boring day of the year.
    What do you think, what will ya be doing?

For me I don't really like it at all. I love christmas time, but christmas day is not really me. Try to get up as late as possible, open presents, bit of telly, ginormous dinner, then laze it away. May or may not go out to a friends house for a night of beer.

Always look forward to Stephens Day though. Mmmmmmmm pub...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's good to get time off but I don't enjoy the whole gift giving process. No one can buy for me and I'm too disinterested in shopping to make much effort the other way.

I've drawn a line in the sand this year and have called a personal halt to this ridicularse tradition. I've told everyone this year that I'm getting them nothing and they'd be wise to return the favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Most boring day of the year? No that has to be Good Friday (and not just because the pubs are shut)
    I always enjoyed christmas day even though I have no love for the festive season. Nowhere is open, there's nothing to do, if you haven't got your sh*t together by now it's too late....and you realise that it really doesn't matter a damn anyhow. Irish coffees, some load of bollocks on the TV, lounging around in new clothes, dinner and of course the prospect of no work for at least another week or so; what's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Out ****ty TV cable company cut us off so I'm well pissed off tbh. No telly for Xmas! I shall be downloading the entire internet instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

damn christmas has f00ked up things for teh jizzlord liek. my laptop charger packed in and because of tomfoolery with postage it'll be january before i can resume my warez. that and i miss my 3 meg line, i'm stuck with one meg in sligo
    :(

but, i now have money, gifts and my present to myself, 12 year old jameson :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I enjoy Christmas Day but it can get a bit boring. I'll be up early for the presents because I'm still a big child at 22! Then we'll go to mass. We usually go to my grandparents house after that but this year my mother insisted that we do all our visiting before Christmas because she wants to have a quiet day. Dinner then, then off to the boyfriend's house because someone has to see my new dress!

I think it's best if you have no expectations, because inevitably there will be fights, and someone wont like one of their presents, etc.

Just remember tomorrow that someone, somewhere, is going to end up dropping the turkey. Remember that and laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

I'll be happy once I am out of work ... stuck here til 5.15 !!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I may have some cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Absolutely love it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't like xmas day much... My mother is trying to persuade me to go with the family to mu aunties and sit around and play happy families. Something which i haven't done the last two years, and sure as hell don't want to start again now. She wouldn't normally try and make me go only for i'm going away for a year on Friday.

So, i'll be just chilling out, watching TV, packing etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I actually find the whole 'being families' thing uncomfortable. On the phone to relations who I havent talked to since the year before, saying "oh yeah sure i'll call for a weekend", we both know I won't.

No doubt an expert would tell me this stems from a messed up childhood or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What's not to like, get out of bed late, give and receive presents over a nice breakfast, read one of the new books I'm given while the mother cooks a huge dinner, stuff face, veg on couch, eat junk, have tea, call to a bunch of friends houses for the traditional '12 houses of Christmas' we've done since we were 17, get bladdered, hit the sack at 6/7 in the morning (luckily my house is always last :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'm working tomorrow so I'd say it will just feel like any other day. But then I'll get to come home and play with my toys! :D Mates having a party tomorrow evening too so if I feel like it I'll probably pop over there in the evening for a bit. Although I am working Stephens morning. Hmm. We'll see what happens sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Forky wrote: »
    Some people hate it, others love it but most agree its probably the most boring day of the year.
    What do you think, what will ya be doing?

Noyce one bruvvah. Your thread reminded me to stock up on the beer for tonight/tomorrow/early Stephens Day. :)

Sleepy wrote: »
    call to a bunch of friends houses for the traditional '12 houses of Christmas' we've done since we were 17, get bladdered, hit the sack at 6/7 in the morning (luckily my house is always last :D)

Great idea, but do the families not mind 11 mates of their son turning up, drinking for 15 mins then heading off?

Particularly whoever lives in the 9 and upwards gaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's certainly not boring in our house.......

-get up and exchange gifts
    -go to mass (boring)
    -play with presents and wait for rellies to arrive
    -exchange more gifts and start drinking
    -eat dinner
    -watch TV and nap
    -continue drinking and start playing board games and cards
    -continue drinking
    -go to sleep

Pretty sweet day if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I like Christmas morning where I get to play video games from four to noon when I'm shoved back upstairs because the TV being on annoys them for some undisclosed reason. At that point Christmas is generally over for me as I have to go back to the crappy small TV in my room where it's just not the same.

Though I don't hate the day as a whole. Afterall there's an F-load of Coca Cola to be drank. The part I don't like is the relatives coming over because it means I have to talk to them and talking to people is not exactly something I'm good at.

To summarise:
    I like Christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Dont think 'most' would agree that its the most boring day of the year. I think youre way off with that. I love Christmas day. Nice food, booze, presents, no work. Whats not to like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Christmas Day is my favourite day of the year, there is alot you can do without the pub ya know! most boring/the worst - any monday at work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I have a dear friend who simply doesn't "do" Christmas.

Every December 25th, he makes a point of staying in bed, drinking beer and watching really cheap & nasty p0rn, pretty much for the full day.
    He gets a new DVD every year, in anticipation of this event.

Odd thing is ... he's still single :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

trout wrote: »

Every December 25th, he makes a point of staying in bed, drinking beer and watching really cheap & nasty p0rn, pretty much for the full day.

That's even more pathetic than going to mass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Spending it by myself :mad:I went for mass this evening and the church was full with families... brought tears to my eyes.. i would be up bright and early tomorrow checking boards-how sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Spending it by myself :mad:I went for mass this evening and the church was full with families... brought tears to my eyes.. i would be up bright and early tomorrow checking boards-how sad!

Thats sad, why may I ask will you not be with family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

trout wrote: »

a friend of mine isn't a christmas fan either, so him and his lady go off to some tropical island. it means they have loads of money throughout the year and their "big" holiday is cheaper then normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'm working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Oh the awkward small talk to relatives you see maybe once a year, that one 'drunk uncle' who always seems to pin you in a corner with simple minded conversation, shíte telly, and the noise of scramblers at 6am - what's not to like?

Advertisement