Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenDNS

Options
  • 24-12-2007 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I've just switched to OpenDNS because I've noticed my ISP's DNS has been slow of late.

If you're not familiar with DNS, it's what turns www.boards.ie into a bunch of numbers that your computer uses to download information from the actual site.

Well...I just wanted to say that it was well worth the 30 seconds effort it took. Anyone who's looking to improve their browsing experience should consider it IMO.

Their website is at: https://www.opendns.com/start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Agreed. It was very handy a good while back when eircom were having some issues with their DNS servers. Haven't looked back since. If only it would correct my silly mistakes, like typing .cm instead of .com!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

OpenDNS are good, got them configured as default DNS servers in the router, never have nearly as many "page cannot be displayed" that I had using eircom, sites like rapidshare.com were really hit & miss with default eircom dns servers, since switching to OpenDNS I've yet to have any rapidshare.com issiues aswell as other sites
    Agreed. It was very handy a good while back when eircom were having some issues with their DNS servers. Haven't looked back since. If only it would correct my silly mistakes, like typing .cm instead of .com!
    It actually corrects mistakes for me :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nice, added the dns addresses to my server. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Ive been using them for months too, I find them way faster than the default ibb ones and it does correct mistakes occasionaly!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i use opendns as well and there's one little niggle with it.

say i type a domain that doesn't exsist into the address it goes to their search page which is http://guide.opendns.com/?url=<domain-name-here&gt;

i'd prefer if it went to the default this page can't be found.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The straight dope

Our nameservers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

think I'll try one and leave my ISP as the second one for a wee while

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Cremo wrote: »
    i use opendns as well and there's one little niggle with it.

say i type a domain that doesn't exsist into the address it goes to their search page which is http://guide.opendns.com/?url=<domain-name-here&gt;

That's how they get something out this.
    That aside, they're fast and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I use it too, but it seems to totally f**k up the VPN client I use for work, so I have to manually switch to my ISP's DNS when I use that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im on BT and never had any dns issues. So moving over is a bit of a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

UTV's DNS servers are sh1te. They regularly fall over at the weekends and don't get fixed till Monday morning, so openDNS is a godsend for those occasions. It was happening so often a couple of months ago that I made OpenDNS the primary DNS service on my router.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This is all a bit new to me lads. I'm with NTL and I've just changed the DNS on my Linksys router to the Open DNS. What happens now? I've created an account with them but don;t really understand what (if anything) I need to do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Zascar wrote: »
    This is all a bit new to me lads. I'm with NTL and I've just changed the DNS on my Linksys router to the Open DNS. What happens now? I've created an account with them but don;t really understand what (if anything) I need to do now?
    Nothing! It's fairly transparent -- your request is answered by the OpenDNS servers instead of your ISP's. You can test to make sure you're using the OpenDNS servers by visiting the site again (different content).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Cremo wrote: »
    it goes to their search page which is http://guide.opendns.com/?url=<domain-name-here&gt;

Been using them for a good few months now, and this is the only thing that annoys me about the service. Very handy to only have to remember one (or two) IP addresses when you regularly switch between several internet connections (pain in the hole now that some ISPs have started blocking queries originating from other ISPs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

think I'll try one and leave my ISP as the second one for a wee while

The advantage of a linux home server, i can add four, my isp's 2 and the openDNS 2. All other pc's just use the dns of the server. Although i wonder if having four will actually slow down my queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The advantage of a linux home server, i can add four, my isp's 2 and the openDNS 2. All other pc's just use the dns of the server. Although i wonder if having four will actually slow down my queries.
    No, it won't. The primary DNS server is used normally. If it becomes unreachable/unresponsive, the secondary will be used. Then the tertiary, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 555john

I've just set up OpenDNS on my home router a Linksys and all network access has slowed down to a crawl, even accessing my router!
    Has anybody had this happen or know how to fix it? The only change I made was to set the Primary/Seconday DNS on my router to the OpenDNS IP.

I'm setting this up for security reasons (helps prevent phishing and XSRF attacks with the correct filters set) so would really like to get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Have you tried rebooting the router?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wow zombie thread !

also test these easy to remember numbers
    google 8.8.8.8
    Verizon 4.2.2.2

reminder OpenDns is on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

It's a good idea to use DNS like these as your primary server and your ISP's as your secondary. Another good free one is Google's:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

wow zombie thread !

also test these easy to remember numbers
    google 8.8.8.8
    Verizon 4.2.2.2

reminder OpenDns is on

Indeed... Closed :)

Nick

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement