Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portflio Requirements

Options
  • 24-12-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

hey there, right so thinking of applying to some arts courses in DIT, however some of the one's I like require a portfolio, I did my leaving cert in 06, and went to UCD to do science but it's not worked out and am reapplying through CAO.

the courses I've picked in DIT include Visual Communications, Photography and Design - Display. I got a HB3 in the leaving cert in art and have a fair few pieces I could use in a portfolio, as well as some 3D work I could include, with photo's obviously. I'm just wondering what they really look for in portfolio's here, do they prefer still life, creative media, abstract etc?

I've also got Drama as a course and am wondering what the audition/workshop is like for that...

please and thank you!

(I know it's a big jump from science to art but I enjoy both, and was always reasonably abled in both...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Unfortunately, I can't find any guidelines on the web, so here's some info that I got from a person that managed to get a good portfolio review and now works in graphic design:

here's a link to a similar thread for you to consider: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055015278&page=0

If you can draw better than an average joe down the street, then you'll certainly get into Visual communications or any design courses ;) Also, have some variety in your work. I mean, for example: a series of pictures of transformers only is a big no, pictures of transformers done in different mediums is a bit of a risk, but pictures of transformers and related mechanical things that may interest you as well is a definite yes.

Abstracts without any subject meaning behind them are a big risk. Try to do some still life and life drawing as well.

I hope this helps -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I have still life, photography, photos of 3D work, abstracts...em..how do i explain, cut out random odd shaped pics and such from a magazine, stucke em on some paper and turned it into a mixed media abstract painting, reproductions of some of Francis Bacon's work, life drawing, not that good but meh, a few different medias in there too, watercolou, acrylic (mixed acrylic, doing effects n such), pastel, pencil, colouring pencil...

It's all pretty varied I guess...

Thank you though! :D

couple of examples of stuff below...dodge pics from phone though

couple more bits randomly scattered in this folder http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbum.jsp?PhotoNbr=1&MemberId=447938376&PhotoAlbumId=448047750

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

couldn't look at your photo gallery, as it was blocked or something like that...

you've got a good variety of work -> that's good
    however, I don't know whether DIT place emphasis on subject matter or your drawing painting technique. If they are looking for subject matter, try picking any event or a mood and draw suitable picture based on it to show how you interpret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

hmm...k...thankees...

page shouldn't be blocked...sometimes it does that though...

am doin a kinda mixed media project with the wilting tulip pic at the mo, have bits of an artistic project i did on suicide...i dunno, I'll work summit out!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 adie1988

A good way of raising your chances of getting into an art course is doing a PLC course. I did that and it was the best decision I ever made... it also gives you a great idea of what is expected of you in art college.

The things that you should include in your portfolio all depend on what you apply for.

The main thing needed in portfolios is to show that you know the basics - line drawings, tonal studies, guaches studies, print making, painting, life drawing, still life.
    The other main thing is to show your progression of ideas. Take something your interested in and run with it. I did alot of drawings of an angle grinder, then I took it apart and did some studies of that. I did some wood carvings and sculptures, etc.

You were saying about your abstract paintings, it is better to show preliminary studies and show how you got to that painting. That is what they want to see.

Vis Comm and Design Display are similar, but I doubt you'd get into Photography without having a portfolio completely dedicated to photography. But you never know. With photography they want to see your technical understanding and light use. They want to see that you know your stuff in it.

With regard to Vis Comm, include some print work. Also I got higher marks in Vis Comm than I did in Fine Art (I chose to do Fine Art in the end and am loving it), and I believe that's because I included some posters and CD covers I designed on Photoshop. That'll definately boost your points.

Anyways, that's all the info blown outa me... let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

like the pics le rack!!!
    trying to get into that course myself and found the replies helpful!
    hope to see you next year!:D

Advertisement