Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah, Christmas Mass....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I went for mass yesterday and today and i enjoyed it, i am spending xmas alone this year:( although it was sad to see families around it was brilliant!:D
    I think everyone is entitled to their opinion about religion:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Representatives of the catholic church "scratched" young children's arses for years with impunity....what's to respect?

I respect people's right to believe in whatever the hell they want to believe in....that's a completely different thing than respecting what it is they believe in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wertz wrote: »
    Representatives of the catholic church "scratched" young children's arses for years with impunity....what's to respect?

I respect people's right to believe in whatever the hell they want to believe in....that's a completely different thing than respecting what it is they believe in...

So did thousands of other paedophiles? What's your point? There are paedophiles in every profession, whats your point worts? Your pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm by no means a religious advocate but these kind of remarks are infantile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

Jesus this thread went out of hand, no-one can even ask a simple question like "are you going to christmas mass" anymore.

I went, it was fine. No big deal. The folks liked it and the forty minutes zoomed by fairly handy.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Infantile? How so? How can one be expected to hold respect for an organisation that stood over the crimes of it's members for so long?
    Hypocrisy has been mentioned several times in this thread....I'm of the belief that it's the height of hypocrisy for someone to stand at the top of a large hall and conduct a service to families on the back of what has happened over the past decades.
    If all that's infantile then great....forever young and all that.

Cheeedude, ad hominem attacks make any of the rest of your points null and void in my eyes. I'll live with your pity thanks. Very christian of you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I just think it's an appropriate bandwagon, fashionable to jump on to suit people's own agendas. Of course, it happened - no one's denying that, but to dismiss the WHOLE organisation based on the actions of a few is, in my opinion, infantile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i fainted at xmas mass when i was about 12...great way to get out of going...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Went to mass for the first time in 3 years, some baby behind me sh1t himself so I took into a fit of laughing for the hour.

• Advertisement

Cheeedude, ad hominem attacks make any of the rest of your points null and void in my eyes. I'll live with your pity thanks. Very christian of you...

Who said I'm Christian?

Your the only one making cheap shots at an entire organisation based on a few stupid individuals? I think you need to sort yourself out.

I just think it's an appropriate bandwagon, fashionable to jump on to suit people's own agendas. Of course, it happened - no one's denying that, but to dismiss the WHOLE organisation based on the actions of a few is, in my opinion, infantile.

Yes it's an appropriate bandwagon that can be boarded by anyone with an axe to grind, that's fair enough.
    I didn't outright dismiss catholicism BTW, I said I had a hard time showing any respect for it, and yes that's solely because of paedophaelic scandals, specifically on this island.
    That's not for a moment to say that the catholic church didn't do a lot of good for this country down through the years....education, health, charity...but with the stuff coming to light of late, even that good work is blighted in my eyes.

But all this is way OT on what should be a happy day. I don't have any wish to upset anyone on here...as I said, I respect other's beliefs/opinions without attacking them for it...shame that that can't be reciprocated...

daveirl wrote: »

I don't care. I'm just saying...go argue with a priest...

I'm just saying respect beliefs and religions...it's not that hard.

I'd say any endorsement was more in the way of inaction and a willingness to turn a blind eye from people in authority within the church.
    Even I don't believe that there were orders from the Vatican to go off out raping and pillaging with the Pope's blessing.

But how many suffered as a result of that inaction? We've heard of plenty of cases (not just in Irleand) where priests with questionable allegations made agaisnt them were juggled between dioceses in the hope that it would all just go away. It didn't.
    Those orders to move individuals must have come from higher up the foodchain....and their very existence points to the fact that the people in charge were at least suspicious of the activities.....but they did nothing.
    This is an organisation that preaches do unto others as you would have done unto you.
    Suffer little children, more like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Havent read the rest of the thread, but yeah, my parents stopped brining me and my brother to Christmas Mass (and mass in general) years ago. Best thing they ever did:D
    Minus the whole..giving birth thing...... ¬_¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    ha ha ha....are you gay by any chance?
    haha its not often you see somebody add 1+1 and get 50

I respect the views and beliefs of people regardless of whether I personally believe them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jesus, Christmas mass, one damn thing I'm glad i don't have to suffer through anymore.

Last i heard , only old culchies do this?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

cooperguy wrote: »
    haha its not often you see somebody add 1+1 and get 50

:confused:

But I didn't add any numbers....

cheesedude wrote: »
    I respect the views and beliefs of people regardless of whether I personally believe them or not.

....and yet I'm pathetic for having a different POV than you in this very thread?
    You're doing your credibility wonders....keep it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I go to mass most Sundays, if not all. I believe in my religion but ill never preach of force it down somebodys throa - unlike some religions. Wouldnt have much faith ih the Catholic Church, but I go to mass mainly because its only a half an our out of one day every week and its a nice place to reflect and say a prayer. Its not that big of a deal. I do NOT like somebody insulting me for my choice, and dont have much time for those whos opinions of the religion are incredibly rude. (Theres a difference between dislike and the dislike expressed by some)

As for Christmas Mass, same as usual. When I was younger id have always prefered to stay at home and open presents. Now I go for similar reasons plus its a special time of the year, the choir is nice (no cheeky, you dont have to be gay to like music) and you meet loads of people - some you have not met in a long time!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

:confused:

But I didn't add any numbers....

That sarcasm sucked. ;) You must be gay? :p

• Advertisement

Mock them as much as you want, just don't be surprised if someone decks you for doing it to their face because someone will think you are personally insulting them because you are mocking something that they believe...

I'm not saying i believe in anything, i'm just saying you have to be sensitive of how other people will take it up.

Sully wrote: »
    That sarcasm sucked. ;) You must be gay? :p

I beg your pardon! I don't think I used any sarcasm...aaaah I'm so confused! :D

I'm 100% straight....tho I do have tendencies! lol! Thats a joke! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Guys, it's Xmas... whether we like it or not its a holiday-get with the program!
    Stop nagging too

So did thousands of other paedophiles? What's your point? There are paedophiles in every profession, whats your point worts? Your pathetic.

His point, and I agree with him, is that considering what the catholic church is all about - its horrible to think of what they did to children and then attempt to cover it up.

There sick bastards. Yes, there are paedophiles but they have issues (mentally) and probably are not a devoted catholic. These people are priests, and they preach against this stuff. Yet they have done it. Its horrible and one reason why I don't like the church.

....and yet I'm pathetic for having a different POV than you in this very thread?
    You're doing your credibility wonders....keep it up.

It's got nothing to do with your point of view, i don't give a **** what you believe in or if you **** goats for a living.

The way you tried to explain your point of view was similar to an uneducated degenerate who robs stereos on fridays.

• Advertisement

I beg your pardon! I don't think I used any sarcasm...aaaah I'm so confused! :D

So you were just plain stupid then? Fair enough!
    I'm 100% straight....tho I do have tendencies! lol! Thats a joke! :D

You disclose to much of your personal life across boards. Im beginning to wonder are you for real, and do you actually practice what you preach. No offense or anything, but your comment to another poster about being gay was the worst argument presentation ever. Forgive me for being sceptical.

It's got nothing to do with your point of view, i don't give a **** what you believe in or if you **** goats for a living.

The way you tried to explain your point of view was similar to an uneducated degenerate who robs stereos on fridays.

You might as well give up. Your getting nowhere, and your making a fool of yourself. Quit while your ahead, and bow out while you have some dignity left! I partly see where your coming from, and partly agree (in some areas) but your not going the right way about it.

Its After Hours - remember that.

So you were just plain stupid then? Fair enough!

You disclose to much of your personal life across boards. Im beginning to wonder are you for real, and do you actually practice what you preach. No offense or anything, but your comment to another poster about being gay was the worst argument presentation ever. Forgive me for being sceptical.

I call everyone gay, It's a friendly/slagging kinda fun thing. In all fairness you're the only person taking it personal. It's a joke, It's christmas, lighten up, have a laugh. And also, I don't give out any personal info on this. :confused:

Plus here, where on earth did you come from? I wasn't even calling you gay!

I call everyone gay, It's a friendly/slagging kinda fun thing. In all fairness you're the only person taking it personal. It's a joke, It's christmas, lighten up, have a laugh. And also, I don't give out any personal info on this. :confused:

In such a discussion, perhaps calling someone gay wouldn't be funny? Bad timing? Fair enough if you were being funny, it didn't seem that way to me!

Unless im mistaking one with someone else, which I might be, but dont you have a habbit of boasting about your sex life a lot? o_O

You might as well give up. Your getting nowhere, and your making a fool of yourself. Quit while your ahead, and bow out while you have some dignity left! I partly see where your coming from, and partly agree (in some areas) but your not going the right way about it.

Its After Hours - remember that.

I don't think i'm making a fool of myself. I do what i want. So don't tell me to bow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I call everyone gay, It's a friendly/slagging kinda fun thing.

Especially when flirting with members of the same sex.

Unless im mistaking one with someone else, which I might be, but dont you have a habbit of boasting about your sex life a lot? o_O

You must be so.....theres a lot of female boardsies... so go back and do your research then come back to me.
    Stark wrote: »
    Especially when flirting with members of the same sex.

Oh my gosh, I'm not gay!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

This thread is hilarious.

First mass, next how preferring to scratch your ass instead of mass is a direct insult to religious people to a cheeky girl calling people gay :D

I simply don't like South Park anyway...I saw one episode which i thought was seriously OTT when Jesus Christ's mate Mary had blood coming down her leg...i was just like "what the ****" and all my south park loving mates were the exact same...

PS: Just because I don't like South Park, you are kind of saying that you wouldn't get on with me, i'm probably the craziest person you have ever met in a good way so don't think just because I don't like South Park that i'm some Opus Dei living prude not that I give a **** either way...all i'm saying is open your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Webmonkey wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious.

First mass, next how preferring to scratch your ass instead of mass is a direct insult to religious people to a cheeky girl calling people gay :D

I got in there with some semantic culchie bashing and no-one batted an eyelid or a bible, tis the season for forgivenesses and alcohol!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Longfield wrote: »
    I got in there with some semantic culchie bashing and no-one batted an eyelid or a bible, tis the season for forgivenesses and alcohol!!
    Oh yes i see it now, you little scot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The unintended pun of the year and no one picked up on it?

Yup you're mistaking her with someone else...I reckon I know who it is, I reckon a lot of others do to...
    Answers on a postcard to:

Administration Dept.
    The Ladies Lounge
    Boards
    IE*

*Postal address may not actually exist.

Anyway, I'm off to rob some stereos or f*ck a goat or something.

Yup you're mistaking her with someone else...I reckon I know who it is, I reckon a lot of others do to...

Thank you!!! He is mistaking me with someone else! A common mistake with gays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

...And Christmas is done for another year. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Thank you!!! He is mistaking me with someone else! A common mistake with gays...
    Using "gay" as an insult is pretty immature.

Ya, I know its okay to make mistakes. Gays to make mistakes, and you made a mistake by calling someone gay. Hence, your gay. Ya.

Indeed.

Wertz: Its either her or coolsmileygirl. I know CSG had the link in the sig about being a slut/slag/whore etc but im not sure if she was the one boasting about her sex life.

• Advertisement

With all due respect to the poster involved, that's who immeadiately sprung to my mind when I read Cheeky_gal's abhorrence-filled reply to your allegation.

Random thought; wouldn't it be hilarious if someone changed the L to a Y in Gal? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement