Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 25 Censored news stories of 2007

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I might have a browse through some of the more interesting- (and less tabloid-headline-) looking stories later, but the fact that Steven Jones even gets a mention immediately dashes any hope of credibility for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Eeb

Dude, by posting stuff like that here, you are doing these stories a huge disservice. Just looking at the top 5 stories here -

#1 Future of Internet Debate Ignored by Media

#2 Halliburton Charged with Selling Nuclear Technologies to Iran

#3 Oceans of the World in Extreme Danger

#4 Hunger and Homelessness Increasing in the US

#5 High-Tech Genocide in Congo

Can any of these really be called a "conspiracy theory"? The best way for these things to go unheeded is by questioning whether they are real or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Eeb wrote: »
    Dude, by posting stuff like that here, you are doing these stories a huge disservice. Just looking at the top 5 stories here -

#1 Future of Internet Debate Ignored by Media

#2 Halliburton Charged with Selling Nuclear Technologies to Iran

#3 Oceans of the World in Extreme Danger

#4 Hunger and Homelessness Increasing in the US

#5 High-Tech Genocide in Congo

Can any of these really be called a "conspiracy theory"? The best way for these things to go unheeded is by questioning whether they are real or not.

He's not saying that these things are conspiracies, he's pointing out that there's a conspiracy to hide the truth from the public. Thought personally, I say it's sadly, more a matter of these stories not being as interesting as Britney Spears' little sister getting pregnant. Just shows the world we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

humanji wrote: »
    He's not saying that these things are conspiracies, he's pointing out that there's a conspiracy to hide the truth from the public. Thought personally, I say it's sadly, more a matter of these stories not being as interesting as Britney Spears' little sister getting pregnant. Just shows the world we live in.

I think we would argue that the corporate controlled media have an agenda to push such shíte on the masses, and bury stories contrary to Murdochs agenda. There has been evidence of this many times in the past, and can currently be seen with the media blackout of Ron Paul in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There are good reasons why such stories are considered untouchable by the British media, usually because they involve minors, for example an ex-British PM and his daughter's failed suicide attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

humanji wrote: »
    Thought personally, I say it's sadly, more a matter of these stories not being as interesting as Britney Spears' little sister getting pregnant. Just shows the world we live in.

Middle east turmoil, financial news, global warming (:rolleyes:) etc isnt as interesting as the spears junior pregancy either yet we see enough of all that.
    Kernel wrote:
    I think we would argue that the corporate controlled media have an agenda to push such shíte on the masses

No doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Intersting read. Some frankly scary stuff in the majority of those news stories although I had heard mention of them in some more left of field media sources (not mass media print or broadcat stuff mind).
    No matter whther you think it's conspiratorial or not, you can't deny the fact that many of the stories in that list are of importance, and should be of interest to the public at large....the fact that they barely made news at all should alarm any right thinking individuals out there.
    Hiding this in conspiracy theories does the subject injustice and just makes it look like more crank commentary (and yes I understand why it was put here at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 SASQUATCH

A large amount of people over a certain age just don't know where to find these kind of stories. They don't seem to realise there are other sources apart from TV and newspapers, and would probably not give any credibility to the internet, cause they don't really understand what the **** it is, or the massive difference between it and other media channels.

It would be safe to assume however that the people who work for the more traditional media (print/broadcast) would or should have a bit more savvy when it comes to using the web as a source of news albeit secondhand reporting...why does so little of this apparently censored news make it into the mass media?
    They have no bother using the web for chasing up the latest celeb goss...

[edit] After a quick count, 10 of those 25 stories are credited with appearing first in traditional media, but seemingly failed to make it much further since they didn't make any headlines that I can recall...given the weight of at least some of the topics (of those 10), it's hard to understand why the trad media didn't "run" with them....the 9/11 engineer's report thing especially...too soon?

Wertz wrote: »
    ...the 9/11 engineer's report thing especially...too soon?
    What 9/11 engineer's report thing? :confused:

• Advertisement

#18 Physicist Challenges Official 9-11 Story

About 3/4's down the page. I was being a bit general in the description I gave, physicist challenging the official report by NIST into colapse of WTC 1, 2 and 7 on the grounds of basic laws of gravity.
    Nothing that hasn't already been aired on Loose Change, just with a bit more academic weight to it...

There's a big difference between a physicist and an engineer, and the "challenge" in question has as much academic weight as a helium balloon.

NIST are mainly engineers last time I heard (at least the branch that carried out the initial report on the collapse). It's that report that was challenged by the physicist in the article. There may be a big difference between the two disciplines but they both obey the same laws of nature. I've not delved into his background but I'm sure his credentials are accurate. Claims that test procedures were altered to suit the findings is damning enough IMO.
    Why no academic weight then? A crank? Too independent? He calls for a non-US investigation of the facts....since the original report is almost 2 yrs old now, it doesn't look like one will be carried out and everyone just wants to move on.
    If in fact there's anything to the whole thing no matter how outlandish, we're unlikely to ever know for certain without an international study on it...which will probably never happen.
    Enough OT, I'm sure there's a huge thread on it here somewhere...

Advertisement