Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Melodic Death Metal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

Who else but the gods of the genre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAjKtmT3lk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

More into at the gates and what have you. In Flames though were great back when.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

I really wish they could have just called it melodic heavy music, or heavy listening, or emotional metal.

Anything but draw a comparison to death metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Carcass around Heartwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Dark Tranquillity
    Children of Bodom
    Wintersun
    In Flames
    At the Gates

And I agree with punk about the comparison to death metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Edge of Sanity are another great band in this style, try their Purgatory Afterglow album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

In Flames though were great back when.
    What's wrong with In Flames these days? Their last album was fantastic. I've seen them live twice in the last year and I have to say that Anders Fridén is a very underrated vocalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Wintersun, definitely! I wish they'd hurry up with the new album, I thought it was meant to be out two years ago

malice_ wrote: »
    What's wrong with In Flames these days? Their last album was fantastic. I've seen them live twice in the last year and I have to say that Anders Fridén is a very underrated vocalist.

Come Clarity was a letdown in my opinion (was way better that Sountrack.. though)

Heard their new track a while ago and I'm not holding out much hope for the new album.

kieranmcg1 wrote: »
    Who else but the gods of the genre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAjKtmT3lk

COB - the Gods of the genre?! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »

Nothing wrong with it as such. I just prefer their older stuff by a great length. I didn't say anything about anders, in fact I believe him to be an influence

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

I gotta say, I haven't really heard much melodic death metal(at least not on purpose), but I gotta say, In Flames didn't impress me when I seen them supporting Slayer last year.

And I really don't get how they can be compared to death metal at all. I've never heard a death metal band that lacked brutality even half that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

I think they added the death metal because death growls are used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

In Flames (circa 1996), Dark Tranquillity (anything up to Damage Done), At The Gates (everything they've done), Sacrilege, Dissection (going in more of a Black Metal direction but still melodic as ****!), Dawn, Gates of Ishtar (Dawn of Flames), Amon Amarth and Insomnium are all bands that have influenced myself and what I write on guitar.

My favourite genre also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i love In Flames, still an amazing band.
    i'm gonna have a listen to the other stuff recommended here too.
    any irish bands any use with this kinda thing?

any irish bands any use with this kinda thing?

Primordial, I think they'd be somewhere in or near this genre? :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFqencsiIhw

Primordial, I think they'd be somewhere in or near this genre? :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFqencsiIhw

Primordial are nowhere near the Melodic Death Metal Genre.

Well then I'm lucky I said "I think".

Well then I'm lucky I said "I think".

Pretty much! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

For more recent bands, I think the Black Dahlia Murder are quite good despite the 'metalcore' tag that they incorrectly get lumped with. I'd also throw a nod towards Carcass' swansong. Taken out of the context of being a Carcass album (and those who can't get past Symphonies....), there's some great tunes on there - Generation Hexxed, Keep On Rotting...

This isn't really a genre I've actively listened to in a number of years though. It got a bit overdone but it's still enjoyable to listen back to those bands like The Crown, Carnal Forge and so on. Never got on with In Flames though and I picked up a fair few albums but just never clicked with me.

• Advertisement

Swansong is a good-times listen I reckon. Agreed, there some great tunes present. Heartwork kind of started it all off in ways. A Classic in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Carcass++

I heard a track from Swansong, on the "John Kenny" (da da da da da da da) radio show maybe 10 years ago and bought it soon afterwards. Heartwork has some quality tracks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dean-16

well my faves are
    Scar Symmetry
    Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
    DeadLock
    Daath
    Amorphis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Isis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Wintersun, definitely! I wish they'd hurry up with the new album, I thought it was meant to be out two years ago

Apparently they're having trouble with recording, the equipment isn't up to spec for the stuff they're trying to do and that's why it's taking so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭subzero12

how about ceremonial oath
    or someless well know bands like Absurdus ,Carnal Forge,and Vespers Descent
    and carnal forge are one of my favorite melodic death bands of the minute.
    http://www.myspace.com/carnalforgeband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

It's got to be Opeth.

I think the newer Carnal Forge isn't quite as good..I may well have said it previously but I'm all about arsis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Eucharist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Amon Amarth
    Summoning
    Windir

Three great bands :)

Hauk

Advertisement