Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemartins at Christmas

Options
  • 24-12-2007 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

Any birdwatchers on here know much about housemartins? I live in County Louth and housemartins live in their nest in the eaves over my front door. I assumed they were long gone to Africa for winter - but tonight (Christmas Eve) I noticed one of them poking his head out of the nest.

Is this normal? Or a sign of global warning? Or maybe this one got left behind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I would doubt one got left behind, they are long gone. Maybe it was a sparrow or wren? Other birds will roost in available nests on cold winter nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It definitely looked like a housemartin. My father-in-law and I saw it. We could only see the head, but it was blue/black on top with a white face.

BTW, I was hoping to remove the nest, but someone has told me this is illegal. Is that true? I'm just moving into the house but they spent all Summer ****ting on my doorstep. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bohemian86

PDN wrote: »
    It definitely looked like a housemartin. My father-in-law and I saw it. We could only see the head, but it was blue/black on top with a white face.

BTW, I was hoping to remove the nest, but someone has told me this is illegal. Is that true? I'm just moving into the house but they spent all Summer ****ting on my doorstep. Any ideas?

AFAIK not all swallows migrate. Some stay around all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I think an increasing amount of birds are over wintering here. I don't see it being beyond the realms of possibility that some housemartins may stay behind.

Not sure about removing the nest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

We could only see the head, but it was blue/black on top with a white face.
    That's a good description of a Great Tit. While I'm loathe to say not impossible to be House Martin, it is what I'm thinking. Over wintering of swallows and martins are more likely on southern coast margins rather than north as far as Louth.

I have Swallow, not House Martin nests, but Great Tits roost in them at night
    Can you put a board up to catch the droppings? I did this with the afforementioned swallow nests and it worked a treat. Headroom may be an issue because putting a board up to close to nest makes the nest more open accessible to predators, but thats unlikely at the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement