Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas...

• 24-12-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Have a good one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Right back atcha Esteban! Happy Christmas!

Sorry, I mean--Happy Holidays! :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Enjoy church...to be honest Christmas Day Mass is not tolerable..I skip it.

Meh, it doesn't seem as long nowadays as it did when I was a nipper and there were a tonne of toys at home waiting to be played with! :D

Ah but is it not torture that hour or so without the newly recieved gifts? Stopped going to Christmas(eve and day) mass about 4 years back. The thing is because of my 'interest' in religion, the 'rents don't say anything about it.

When I get Pro Evo tommorow, I will score with Kaka and that will be my thinking about Jesus act for the day.

Ah Christmas mass in our local church is only max 45 mins, so it's not the worst thing in the world!

Pro Evo is awesome :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are ye trying be controversial Esteban?
    You post Happy Christmas in an Atheism forum, probably the one forum on boards that doesn't have no connection with Christmas? :confused:

Are you seem to seem to be looking forward to it but call one hour of mass "torture"
    What part of Religious festival don't you get?

If you don't want to go to Mass that's your choice but don't be a hypocrite and then celebrate Christmas.
    You seem like one of those people that are never seen in a church outside a funeral or wedding. If you're realy an atheist then you'd never go to a church, ever, not even for a family members wedding/ funeral.

What are you going to do if someone asks you to a godparent? Stand by your beliefs or show up and go through the motions?
    I'll never attack your beliefs but I will if you're a hypocrite.

Well actually I go to mass about three times a month, in which case it is perhaps a bit ironic.

Have you never read any of my threads on this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've stopped reading your posts a long time ago :D

I just picked up on the "torture" bit

I see....look I'm human, I believe in God, however give me the choice of my new(hopefully) PS3 or mass, Sony wins out.

micmclo wrote: »
    Are ye trying be controversial Esteban?
    You post Happy Christmas in an Atheism forum, probably the one forum on boards that doesn't have no connection with Christmas? :confused:

Are you seem to seem to be looking forward to it but call one hour of mass "torture"
    What part of Religious festival don't you get?

If you don't want to go to Mass that's your choice but don't be a hypocrite and then celebrate Christmas.
    You seem like one of those people that are never seen in a church outside a funeral or wedding. If you're realy an atheist then you'd never go to a church, ever, not even for a family members wedding/ funeral.

What are you going to do if someone asks you to a godparent? Stand by your beliefs or show up and go through the motions?
    If you're realy an atheist then you'd never go to a church, ever, not even for a family members wedding/ funeral.

Why's that, then? If I go to a buddhist temple am I then a buddhist? A mosque and I'm a Muslim? Or does it just make me "less" of an atheist if I humour my family at anniversaries, or observe tradition during this, the Christmas period?

• Advertisement

*Said with Lisp*

People please stop its christmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

give me the choice of my new(hopefully) PS3 or mass, Sony wins out.
    There's hope for you yet, my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Happy Christmas everybody!

Went to 9 mass there*. My Mum is recovering from chemo so is unable to deal with the crowds, so the priest let us use a back room of the church. It had comfy seats and a kettle, though i thought putting on a cuppa might be a bit much :D Dozed off for a while, I'd nearly forgotten what mass was like. And the music was atrocious.

*Yes yes, I'm an atheist and I went to mass. I only did so this one year because for most of it I was convinced my Mum wouldn't be here now and I did it to make her happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

micmclo wrote: »

I'm an Atheist and I'll celebrate whatever the hell I want thank you. I'll get drunk for Christmas, Easter, Wednesday, World Orgasm Day...pretty much any excuse I have to party with friends and family.

I, like millions of others, have great fun at Christmas while having no belief in Jesus.
    You seem like one of those people that are never seen in a church outside a funeral or wedding.

Esteban has been a very vocal, if incoherent, critic of atheism since he stumbled onto this forum a couple months ago. Do your research.

If you're realy an atheist then you'd never go to a church, ever, not even for a family members wedding/ funeral.
    Being an atheist does not mean anything at all whatsoever ever in any way beyond "I do not believe in Gods". Hell, you could go to Church every day and sing God's praises at the top of your voice and still be an Atheist if you don't believe in God. Why you'd do such a thing is a different matter entirely of course...

What if your beliefs are "I don't believe in God" as opposed to "I don't think anyone should ever take part in a religious ceremony for any reason"?

And I'll attack your position if it displays the intellectual integrity of a turnip. Done and done.

And I mean done.

EDIT: Merry Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

esteban ... in a mildly jovial and even cordial post? On the atheism forum?

Christmas miracles do happen.

Happy Christmas from an avowed heathen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Taters

I'll be going to church today, just so that I don't upset my parents I suppose. But I'll bring a copy of Richard Dawkins' God Delusion with me, just in case anything mad and unimaginable happens.

Merry 25th of December. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Where's all the fire and brimstone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

happy christmas you filthy christians!!

no....wait....
    oh.....****....wrong....place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

estaban, not sure where your new enemy came from!

Anyhoo... merry festivities to you all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Happy holidays everyone ... hope you spend it with you are yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Xmas is done. Happy whatever to one and all.
    We are a day ahead of most of you so now suffering with a hangover.
    catyear.jpg
    *crawls off to find enough drink to get through the new year*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have a good one.

Happy Christmas man, belatedly. All the best for 2008 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

DaveMcG wrote: »

Why's that, then? If I go to a buddhist temple am I then a buddhist? A mosque and I'm a Muslim? Or does it just make me "less" of an atheist if I humour my family at anniversaries, or observe tradition during this, the Christmas period?

I have to say I agree with you on the weddings, funerals. But I don't think I'll ever understand why you would willingly as an atheist go to mass a christmas except to service a keeping up appearances for your parents and their contemporaries. I think Christmas/Christmas mass is a sizeable intrusion on individual sensibilities this time of year and your parents/familly should respect your beliefs as an individual. If your an atheist you shouldn't go imho. I definitly didn't and never will either and my familly can like it or lump it.

I go because it's tradition. Is that not a good enough reason? Just because I don't believe in something does not mean I have to protest it at every given opportunity. Hell, atheists "shouldn't" be celebrating Christmas at all -- but it's a traditional holiday and has alot of good aspects, so why on earth not? Just cos I do does not mean I believe, so I don't see why I shouldn't do any of those things.

Unless you're anti-theist, I don't see the hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I have to say I agree with you on the weddings, funerals. But I don't think I'll ever understand why you would willingly as an atheist go to mass a christmas except to service a keeping up appearances for your parents and their contemporaries. I think Christmas/Christmas mass is a sizeable intrusion on individual sensibilities this time of year and your parents/familly should respect your beliefs as an individual. If your an atheist you shouldn't go imho. I definitly didn't and never will either and my familly can like it or lump it.

I like them. I'm fond of most religious rituals, and some are very good indeed. A good Evensong is a great pleasure, both aesthetically and emotionally.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I go because it's tradition. Is that not a good enough reason? Just because I don't believe in something does not mean I have to protest it at every given opportunity. Hell, atheists "shouldn't" be celebrating Christmas at all -- but it's a traditional holiday and has alot of good aspects, so why on earth not? Just cos I do does not mean I believe, so I don't see why I shouldn't do any of those things.

Unless you're anti-theist, I don't see the hypocrisy.

I don't like it you do I suppose thats fundamentally what it is. I believe personally that its tradition that is wrong and stagnant about this country and many others its almost xenophobic or tropophobic for want of a better term.

Also christmas is lonely

:D

Yeah because Ireland is such a bad country to live in :rolleyes:

I am not one for Irish pride, but I think your taking it a bit far. How is going to a once off mass damaging?

Like to an Atheist there is not divine meaning in the building, and its not like there going to strap anyone down and force them to watch the greatest story ever told. My Muslim friend went into a church for a funeral, no big deal.

I have no idea what those words mean by the way. What do you think this is UCD?

• Advertisement

Yeah because Ireland is such a bad country to live in :rolleyes:

I could be a lot better with the wealth we supposedly have (probably best in politics).
    I am not one for Irish pride, but I think your taking it a bit far. How is going to a once off mass damaging?

Like to an Atheist there is not divine meaning in the building, and its not like there going to strap anyone down and force them to watch the greatest story ever told. My Muslim friend went into a church for a funeral, no big deal.

Its boring, long and meaningless. My experince of it has been a gathering of feeble minded Irish peeps trying to stay on the good side of "the big man" once a year. They should grow up. Plus terrible f**king music.
    I have no idea what those words mean by the way. What do you think this is UCD?

Let the holy google guide you.

Advertisement