Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want new monitor(s)...

Options
  • 24-12-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

i've had a iiyama 19inch CRT vision master pro454 monitor for the last 3-4 years and it's served me well.

it was great for gaming, vibrant, big, great resolutions at great refresh rates (1600x1200 @100hz for single player and 800x600 @ 200hz for online play).

since i'm getting older i haven't as much time for gaming anymore so the whole 800x600 thing for online play won't bother when i move to LCD monitor(s).

now i'm looking at getting two monitors as i code a lot and feel i'd need the extra space.

i've been looking around but the whole market is flooded with crappy widescreen monitors which have god awful resolutions. my pc is for working on and playing games not watching movies. i know people use widescreen for gaming but i for one despise it.

i was looking at getting two of these monitors but the thing is they are fairly expensive and the image contrast ratio (800:1) isn't as good as the widescreen monitors like this.

i'm open to suggestions as well and will pay top notch for monitors that will do 1600x1200 native resolution with < 5ms response time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

For a little extra you might consider a 22 inch like this:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

the 22" widescreen dell monitor in my sig is well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guess i'm confined into getting widescreen monitors so :(.

what's the response time on those monitors anti, can't seem to find anything on dells piss poor website.

are they good for games?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Cremo wrote: »
    guess i'm confined into getting widescreen monitors so :(.

what's the response time on those monitors anti, can't seem to find anything on dells piss poor website.

are they good for games?

Dell are great for the price i got 19" widescreen it has 5ms response but i mean you dont notice anything i had a 16ms before and never experienced any ghosting etc.

i've sourced them dell's for a good 150 euros cheaper than the dell.ie website (overclockers.co.uk)

looking over on pixmania i spotted these, what's people's verdict
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/535704/art/samsung/syncmaster-226bw-22-wide.html

• Advertisement

anyone got any opinons on them samsungs?

i've actually sourced them a bit cheaper than pixmania as well, well 20 euros off each monitor.

of course i'd still change my mind if anyone could suggest non-widescreen monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Samsung have been very bold with the 226bw afaik.
    When their supply couldnt meet demand they started using different companies to produce the 226bw panel all under the guise of the exact same panel. However one google serch will show numerous people claiming the inferior quality of the A and C panels not made directly by samsung.Research thoroughly before u buy that monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I just got the 28" Hanns G available from overclockers.co.uk, and I'm very impressed with it, everything is huge :) Use my old 4:3 20" as a second monitor, great for gaming/coding. Also, it will do 800*600 natively (with black bars at the side) or 960*600 widescreen.

Advertisement