Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Catherines Park, Lucan

• 24-12-2007 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

This may not be specifically in the correct forum, but seeing as how this park is located right beside Dublin 15, it may be of some interest to other (dog) walkers from the area.

Anyway, the park is on the RHS of the road from Clonsilla to Lucan. It's behind Westmanstown, before the new(ish) roundabout at Laraghacon.

The gate to the park previously only opened until 4.00 pm every day and closed much earlier (1/2 day) on Friday. (I think the gate was also closed all day Saturday and Sunday). When the gate was closed, you had to park on the road, whic was dodgy enough to get across. If you parked on the avenue leading into the Park, there was a good chance that your car would be locked in when you returned.

Now the park is open until 5.00 pm every evenings in winter, extending gradually to 9.00 pm in the summer. You can also drive down the avenue, at the end of which, they have built a brand new carpark, capable of holding >100 cars.

There is a new tarmac footpath from the carpark, down through the football pitches, to the park proper, the path up the side of the hill, and down to the Liffey.

Going into the Park yesterday however, I didn't notice any barriers to keep caravans out, so perhaps we'll have new semi permanent residents/visitors unless this is addressed quickly by Fingal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Went for a walk there today took about 2 hours its really a great place.

Whats the house ruins that are there? Does anyone know ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Dublin 15 forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Zaph wrote: »
    Moved from Dublin 15 forum

The parks is all the green area for the whole of the Ongar area, should it not be in the Dublin 15 forum as well.

and we can thank the like of manor park and planing for put a public amenity away from public transport and on road to dangerous to walk:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well seeing as the park isn't in D15 (afaik), its probably best in this forum, as the park is in Lucan

Its part of Fingal County Council remit also boarding south Dublin County Council

Also it was the in part the action of Joan Burton TD that allowed the purchases of the the land a Dublin 15 TD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Is this the same park that stretches to the car park onthe left as you come off the first slip road from N4 just before McDonalds ?
    If so I only discovered that myself during the winter with the dogs and it's a great spot. There was still lots of works going on at the time but the dogs loved it and slept for the rest of the day when we got home, bliss.

Can only put a link to google maps or live maps on how to get into it from the Clonsilla side that the op is talking about ? edit: nevermind, looks like someone has already added a few placemarks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

The bit south of the Liffey is called Lucan Demesne, (access at N4 slip road there at Annadale Cottage/McDonalds at the Lucan end).

Down I think by the Fire station in Leixlip (in pass the Garda Station, then take a left, not straight on) you can access the park and walk all the way to Lucan Village. You either come out where the OP specified, going one way, or fairly quickly after entering the Leixlip end, take a right and cross the Liffey to come by the Demesne.
    That appears to be the only point in the park to cross the Liffey.....(Thx to my wife and her friend who found out the hard way recently :D)
    There may be another bridge there somewhere but didn't appear too obvious.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Think there is only one bridge over the liffey so if you come in from Lucan side you have to circle back and come over the same bridge that overlooks the treatment works in Leixlip.

You can also walk across into Confey from here - instead of walking to the grass area from the Leixlip side you continue on up the avenue and walk across the playing fields to your left into Confey. (before the locked gates)

Not sure which ruins you were looking at however there are the remains of a little church there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Black Sky wrote: »
    That appears to be the only point in the park to cross the Liffey.....(Thx to my wife and her friend who found out the hard way recently :D)

Same as myself ! We walked from the Lucan side down to the bridge and over it and back up along the opposite side of the Liffey. When I got to the end of the path before it cut up into the forrest I could see the car park through the trees and realised we'd have to walk all the way back again !
    Was up there yesterday afternoon with the dogs and came from the Clonsilla side this time, few people around but they made a nice effort around the car park up that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

its a great park up there all right, confey play up there, apparently they use it for winter training! the pitches are superb,in grewat condition! thankfully it is somewhat out of the way for youths so the facility will remain and retain its evident quality! lovely place for a morning jog too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Went for a walk there today took about 2 hours its really a great place.

Whats the house ruins that are there? Does anyone know ?

Here is a photo I took this week.

20080721_0062.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I don't know the history behind the ruins but anytime I'm back in Ireland I try to take a walk in the park as it's quite a relaxing place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

Its a great facility up there, however it isnt going to remain unspoilt forever!

TheScript wrote: »
    Its a great facility up there, however it isnt going to remain unspoilt forever!

It was purchased by fingal COCCO, under the advice of Joan Burton to green are for the whole ongar development area, so i can see fingal splashing out on another 200+ acres in the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nick Molloy

I remember swimming in the Liffey many, many years ago when we used to pay, proabably about 6p, to enter Lucan Demesne. There used to be a derelict cottage by the river and legend was that Patrick Sarsfield, Earl of Lucan was born there. This area would now be paert of the Italian Embassy grounds and entry probibited

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

Does anyone know where can I find a map and info about it. We want to do a Treasure hunt and we would need a map for that. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

really great park, and theres an amazing amount of wildlife there. spotted kingfishers, jays and hawks this week alone. only negative point is the amount of dog poop all over the place.
    great for dog owners, bad for children. need to get dog owners sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I must say as a dog walker its horrible that nobody picks up after their dogs up there, I always have a pocket full of bags when I walk with my dogs. Even though there is a set area up there for the dogs to go before you walk anywhere with them, the dogs always want to go more than once when on a walk!!
    There is a serious lack of bins for the bags though, that is my only issue with the park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

The longer the better, their going to ruin the park with all the changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 peter422

the house ruins are
    1219 Warris De Peche founded a monastery at St. Catherine’s, Leixlip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Apologies for bumping an old thread

Anone know what the work going on in the park is? Seem to be digging in a coupé of areas ať least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Apologies for bumping an old thread

Anone know what the work going on in the park is? Seem to be digging in a coupé of areas ať least.

Looks like they are just redistributing mounds of earth from previous works.

protest march tomorrow. they want to build a road right through the heart of it. marvelous.

emo72 wrote: »
    protest march tomorrow. they want to build a road right through the heart of it. marvelous.

Yeah went to support that walk only to find out the road does not go 'right through' but more like along one side. Felt duped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We desperately need a road connecting N3 and N4 but not anywhere near the park imho. What was wrong with the plan to extend the ORR (R136) north to the N3? That seems to be the logical route seeing as it goes south all the way to Tallaght. And while we're at it, make it a dual carriage way. The disgrace of having had an empty (bus :rolleyes:) lane both ways for the past 15 years is beyond insult to the people who need that road.

unkel wrote: »
    We desperately need a road connecting N3 and N4 but not anywhere near the park imho. What was wrong with the plan to extend the ORR (R136) north to the N3? That seems to be the logical route seeing as it goes south all the way to Tallaght. And while we're at it, make it a dual carriage way. The disgrace of having had an empty (bus :rolleyes:) lane both ways for the past 15 years is beyond insult to the people who need that road.

Unfortunately that was encroaching on Luttrellstown golf, and money talks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

The reason that it's not a dual carriageway especially between Ballyowen Rd to beyond the Pennyhill is that road is going right through a high density residential area. That stretch of road was subject to strict conditions prior to its eventual opening to complete the ORR.
    So, you'd be happy to open up the ORR to dual carriageway status through an existing high density area in favour of a new road which proposes to skirt round a park??? :rolleyes:

Eh yeah. And I live right beside the ORR. And many of the other people right beside it need it too for their local traffic, going to work, etc. I live at least 3km from St Catherine's park, so clearly not a case of NIMBY ;)

Why build a dual carriageway if you're only going to use half of it? What a waste. And obviously as it goes through a residential area, it should not be used by HGV (as it can't now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

degsie wrote: »
    Unfortunately that was encroaching on Luttrellstown golf, and money talks :rolleyes:

Messrs McManus and Magnier, owners of Luttrelstown Castle have also acquired the StEdmunsdbury lands that would be required for the southern portion of any link between the R136 and R121. The reality is that any prospect of a crossing at this location died when Dublin Corporation was split into DCC, Fingal, SDCC and DLR.

This new proposed route that skirts St Catherines Park only has about 500M in SDCC and the rest is in Co Kildare, the lack of intra Dublin Local Authority rivalry might just make it feasible. It will however dump all of the traffic onto the N4/M4 at the southern end because the Dublin Road into Celbridge remains a disaster and there is no prospect of any connectivity further south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Eh yeah. And I live right beside the ORR. And many of the other people right beside it need it too for their local traffic, going to work, etc. I live at least 3km from St Catherine's park, so clearly not a case of NIMBY ;)

Why build a dual carriageway if you're only going to use half of it? What a waste. And obviously as it goes through a residential area, it should not be used by HGV (as it can't now)

I also live right beside the ORR and for that very reason, I would object strongly to allowing a change of use to dual carriageway status. Allowing 2 lanes to be used will bring even more traffic, not just local traffic, to the area which is already congested especially at peak times. When it was originally built and opened, the ORR was intended to service existing and proposed new residential and industrial development areas, including Adamstown and Grange Castle Business Park. The road was also to improve linkages between the towns of Lucan, Clondalkin and Tallaght, within the south County Dublin area. These days, more and more people are using the ORR to avoid the M50 carpark and notably to avoid delays/tailbacks on the M50 due to crashes etc.

I do agree with you that the bus lane is a waste. The ORR was built as a single carriageway with a bus lane either side as the plan back 15 years ago was to increase the public transport network. That didn't happen hence the empty bus lanes. And that is where the waste lies.

As a local resident, I am also one of the other people you refer to that need it for going to work etc. However, the then proposed ORR as a dual carriageway going through a residential area was refused 15 years ago and I've no doubt there would be plenty of objections if the idea was mooted again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The existing junctions of the ORR at the Lucan Road, N4, Willsbrook Road and Castle Road could not handle the extra traffic that would be generated if the ORR bus lanes were opened to all traffic, particularly in the northerly direction. It would create total gridlock on all of the adjacent residential access roads.

Would the logical place for it be further west? Out beyond Leixlip? Future proof it for the further development of the city? I always thought the ORR was too close to the M50. Also the Liffey valley park would be protected.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The existing junctions of the ORR at the Lucan Road, N4, Willsbrook Road and Castle Road could not handle the extra traffic

Willsbrook and Castle (and Griffeen) would be a matter of timing of the traffic lights. Agree with N4 though, that's why the whole vision of the OTR was not just N4 to N81 but N3 to N81 and indeed relief for the M50 (but not for HGV)

And also huge traffic relief for Lucan village and surrounding areas...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC National Toll Roads have the right to toll ANY link road between the N3 and N4

Not sure if the govt bought out that part of that awful one-side contract.

• Advertisement

Jesus. Any link to that, Capt'n?

I guess it's a legacy of the brown envelope corrupt politicians and councillors era. No motorways in and around capitol cities should ever be tolled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I was just here today. On the right as you drive in the long road there is a large old ruin in the field. What is its name?

Advertisement