Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Catherines Park, Lucan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

unkel wrote: »
    Eh yeah. And I live right beside the ORR. And many of the other people right beside it need it too for their local traffic, going to work, etc. I live at least 3km from St Catherine's park, so clearly not a case of NIMBY ;)

Why build a dual carriageway if you're only going to use half of it? What a waste. And obviously as it goes through a residential area, it should not be used by HGV (as it can't now)

I also live right beside the ORR and for that very reason, I would object strongly to allowing a change of use to dual carriageway status. Allowing 2 lanes to be used will bring even more traffic, not just local traffic, to the area which is already congested especially at peak times. When it was originally built and opened, the ORR was intended to service existing and proposed new residential and industrial development areas, including Adamstown and Grange Castle Business Park. The road was also to improve linkages between the towns of Lucan, Clondalkin and Tallaght, within the south County Dublin area. These days, more and more people are using the ORR to avoid the M50 carpark and notably to avoid delays/tailbacks on the M50 due to crashes etc.

I do agree with you that the bus lane is a waste. The ORR was built as a single carriageway with a bus lane either side as the plan back 15 years ago was to increase the public transport network. That didn't happen hence the empty bus lanes. And that is where the waste lies.

As a local resident, I am also one of the other people you refer to that need it for going to work etc. However, the then proposed ORR as a dual carriageway going through a residential area was refused 15 years ago and I've no doubt there would be plenty of objections if the idea was mooted again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The existing junctions of the ORR at the Lucan Road, N4, Willsbrook Road and Castle Road could not handle the extra traffic that would be generated if the ORR bus lanes were opened to all traffic, particularly in the northerly direction. It would create total gridlock on all of the adjacent residential access roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Would the logical place for it be further west? Out beyond Leixlip? Future proof it for the further development of the city? I always thought the ORR was too close to the M50. Also the Liffey valley park would be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The existing junctions of the ORR at the Lucan Road, N4, Willsbrook Road and Castle Road could not handle the extra traffic

Willsbrook and Castle (and Griffeen) would be a matter of timing of the traffic lights. Agree with N4 though, that's why the whole vision of the OTR was not just N4 to N81 but N3 to N81 and indeed relief for the M50 (but not for HGV)

And also huge traffic relief for Lucan village and surrounding areas...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC National Toll Roads have the right to toll ANY link road between the N3 and N4

Not sure if the govt bought out that part of that awful one-side contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jesus. Any link to that, Capt'n?

I guess it's a legacy of the brown envelope corrupt politicians and councillors era. No motorways in and around capitol cities should ever be tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I was just here today. On the right as you drive in the long road there is a large old ruin in the field. What is its name?

Advertisement