Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Offered a 00 Astra.... Help please!!!

Options
  • 24-12-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Well lads... was offered a navy 2000 Opel Astra 5 door hatch, 1400cc today... it has NCT for nearly 2 yrs and has 80k miles on the clock.
    Bad part: he says there's oil leaking from the head gasket and he says it will cost 500 to fix....
    the price is low at €1500.... what do ye think?
    am i bringing trouble on myself???
    Cheers!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

well the head gasket can only be skimmed once ( as far as i know , thank god im not an opel mechanic. )

1400 isnt a bad price but haven said that , if the head gasket go's before 100,000 miles you know you have a troubled car.

try shopping around more and you might find a bargin

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JayLord

still though, for 1500 quid... if all went to all i could replace the engine... i cud pick one up cheap... these cars seem to be makin 4000 or so on carzone...!?!
    Any one else have any clue???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

First, you don't get the Headgasket skimmed, as SIR said! It's the head that is skimmed, and the number of skims depends on the engine.

How much oil is leaking from the engine? if it's a small amount, leave it alone. If it's a major leak, just swap the head gasket (the gasket will cost about 20 euro, labour about 200 to 400 euro). At least you won't have to have the head skimmed as the head hasn't warped from overheating.

I remember hearing somewhere that the 1400ecotec oil leaks are a common problem.

I'd go for it and drive it for a while to gauge the oil consumption and then see if you need to get it fixed.

By the way, I'm driving a AX GT for the past 2 years with an oil leak from the head gasket (common fault on them engines). All I do is keep topping it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The 1.4 is known for head gasket problems, if you did get the car and it needed the head doing you would want to get the water pump done at the same time also.

Bought it Lads... Cheers... its not a big leak, has been leaking a small bit with a while, but im after gettin a gasket kit, nd someone to da that and the timing... so should be ok!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Jaylord,
    hows the Astra driving ?

Like new... head is being done this week!!!

Advertisement