Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church front on Bedford Row

Options
  • 24-12-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where the church front came from on Bedford Row? Its across from where Mullanys was.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

It was always there behind the frontage of the Central Cinema.

It was a church before it was a cinema iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where the church front came from on Bedford Row? Its across from where Mullanys was.

Mike

They got it in Guineys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

3 times Mayor of Limerick Peter Tait got married there in the 1850's.
    I'm delighted it's been saved and on display again. It will add fantastic character to the street. :D

Can't say the glass front they're putting on it is going to the nicest though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Seemingly it was a Methodist Church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Can't say the glass front they're putting on it is going to the nicest though

I was hoping the steel structure was there as a temp support - so it's going to have a glass annex?

phog wrote: »
    I was hoping the steel structure was there as a temp support - so it's going to have a glass annex?

The iron ones at the start were but if you look now you'll notice they've replaced it with brand new white ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

The steel bracing was to support the facade while the rear of the church was being demolished, a new building has now been constructed behind the facade. When finished it'll contain retail and office space.

Below is a render of the finished product and also an image of the church before it was converted into a cinema!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Its official title was the "Primitive Wesleyan Methodist Preaching House". It was founded on Bedford Row in 1821. It includes an elegant entrance and balustrade (which we can see again) and apartments for the preacher.
    I found this reference in "The History of Limerick City" by Sean Spellissy.

Advertisement