Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis leading Gamespots Readers Poll for Game of the Year

Options
  • 25-12-2007 3:23am
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Much to my suprise Crysis is leading Gamespots Readers vote on game of year for all formats.

Well its a not cert to win as there is 3 days of voting left. But it is leading with over 30,000 votes at the time of posting this by over 4,000 votes from second place Call of Duty 4 with Super Mario Galaxy in third just ahead of tied 4th place Bioshock and The Orange Box. At this stage at worst I can see the game coming second.

I find this odd considering its a PC only game and thus would would have a smaller voting pool, as well as the mixed reviews its recieved on boards.ie from several gamers which I thought would be a reasonable indicator of peoples opinion in general and not least a previously well read post on boards commenting on its poor sales just a few threads down from this post. Its also running away with the vote for best graphics techncially (not surprisingly and it is hands away the best) and best PC game which it leads both comfortable.

You can say what you want about gamespots reviews but this is a readers vote.

Wonder why Crysis is doing so well. I personal thought the game was good but not outstanding myself. Is it the majority of people who view gamespot PC players and are just sticking up for the PC's flagship title? Or is the current console generation not established yet evening the voting field. Or do you think the game is actually that good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Very suspicious, considering barely anybody bought it.

More odd goings-on at GameSpot... Advertisers / Publishers putting pressure on again?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No way it was game of the year. Should go to Bioshock or Orange Box imo. (i haven't played Mario Galaxy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Thought Crysis was better than BioShock, though they both feel down a bit between idea and execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Don't know about anyone else but if I go to the Readers Choice section (when logged in) I don't even get a link to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the reason being that a pc game is winning is because the majority of people are visiting the site on their pc.

also the fact that millions of people who play consoles don't have internet and can't influence the vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Folex wrote: »
    Very suspicious, considering barely anybody bought it.
    Just because they haven't bought it doesn't mean they haven't played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Blowfish wrote: »
    Just because they haven't bought it doesn't mean they haven't played it.

As it stands, it has received as many votes as there was copies of the game sold :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think people are under estimating how many people are buying the game and how many people have pirated the game.

The sales figure stated in the other thread of around 89,000 was for America alone and do not include sales figures for online distrubution nor does it include sales figures for Canada etc.

Apparantly Crysis has done well in Japan which is a suprise cause what few games the Japs buy on the PC they tend to be games they make themsleves. They probably liked Crysis cause they got to shot North Koreans.

Think figures are not available for Europe but as a poster on gamespots forums posted with figures to back it up, the PC game The Witcher has sold an impressive 1 million copies world wide according to its Polish publisher (100,00 in Poland alone, but its well known there) while doing this it never got ahead of Crysis in the sales charts bar for maybe one week.

Maybe its got a larger player base than thought.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Crysis is better than Bioshock imo, But Orange Box should win hands down

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well mass effect and uncharted where both completely absent from the nominations so i have no interest in this charade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Am I the only one who is surprised that Kane And Lynch isn't winning? It is Gamespot after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

(From playing the demo) UT3 all the way baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Azza wrote: »
    Wonder why Crysis is doing so well.

Perl script?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,362 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

super mario galaxy should be the game of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

What's all this non-sense? Call of Duty 4 should be game of the year of course!*

Just started playing Crysis this evening. Impressed with graphics (of course) and enjoying it so far. Only played 30 minutes mind you... Still, prefer my CoD4!

*Slightly biased opinion

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

super mario galaxy should be the game of the year

lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

conzymaher wrote: »
    lol

Why exactly, it's one of the finest games in the last 5 years and inches ahead of Bioshock for my personal best of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

humanji wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is surprised that Kane And Lynch isn't winning? It is Gamespot after all...

:D

While I don't personally rate Super Mario Galaxy as highly as some its still a good game. Its more deserving of the award than Crysis which incidently has won now. Galaxy had so many great things going for it, wonderful and quirky level design, the perfect mix of new and the old. Huge amount of content. Great soundtrack. Above all great gameplay. I have a couple of minor quibles with it like the almost non exsistent voice acting (could be a hardware limitation) and the rather weak story. I know its a children story and it merely serves as an excuse to go to these strange and quirky worlds but some more effort would of been appreciated for the adult crowd playing it. The boss battles where not overly exciting either.

As for Crysis while I don't think it should of won,I do have some admiration for the type of game Crytek tried to make with Crysis though, open ended world where your pick and mix tactics and my in opinion the games misfires because they where unable to create decent AI to give the game an immersive enviroment. Though that type of game is a more ambitious type of game than your standard linear FPS. Most other FPS games don't need complicated AI, they get away with scripting for the most part.

mayordenis I agree with you about Uncharted Drakes: Fortune not showing up on the list being a bad omission. I only played the game for around 45 minutes but I was very impressed.

Probably would of given my game of the year vote to............Call of....no wait....The Oran.....no hold on .....Bioshock. Close call though I really liked MGS Portable Ops as well as Gear of War PC. Problem with this years games for me is that this year I for the first time played through Resident Evil 4 and MGS 3 Subsistence and they where better than anything out this year. So I think I will go with Bioshock for this years best game.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Super Mario Galaxy defo. It has an average review score of 97 on metacritic. Anyone who knocks it clearly hasnt played it,it is full of innovation. What new stuff has COD4 brought to the table? Orange Box is also deserving, it must be the biggest bargain ever in gaming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Super Mario Galaxy defo. It has an average review score of 97 on metacritic. Anyone who knocks it clearly hasnt played it,it is full of innovation. What new stuff has COD4 brought to the table? Orange Box is also deserving, it must be the biggest bargain ever in gaming

Full of innovation, but with sluggish controls and a poor camera that are really shown up when compared to Ratchet & Clank, which would be its closest competitor.

Orange Box is the most deserving for me, by miles. Portal alone would get my vote, throw in TF2 in the same box and you have the comfortable game of the year. And I don't even like Half Life 2.

Just thought I'd let you know while Crysis won the readers vote, gamespot awarded Super Mario Galaxy its game of the year award.

On eurogamer.net Crysis came 27th in its top 50 games of 2007, while Super Mario Galaxy came 2nd. Portal won eurogamers top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Crysis is way better than the hyped Far Cry.
    Crysis outstanding but no is not the best game this year.
    Even Portal was more epic.
    The worst thing about Crysis is it didn't end, left you on a cliff hanger after a boss no harder than killing 5 koreans in a tank.
    Crysis also had its low parts like near the begining, parts in zero gravity and the tank level. Near the end the game gets great but just ends.

Problem is its a trilogy.

The Orange Box however has that problem called steam and broadband only multiplayer for Xbox 360.

Bioshock is close but I couldn't decide between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

here, now steam isn't a problem, if you have a stable connection to the internet it's the best portal for games around. sure their servers got hammered when half life 2 came out, but they didn't expect the sheer volume of people trying to validate the game, they soon learned from their mistake.

broadband only multiplayer only for x360? isn't that the same for every 360 game out there? and seriously if it wasn't and i was hosting a fps game on xbox i'd kick anyone with a 56k ping (if that's possible).

Advertisement