Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Multiple Moon Systems

Options
  • 25-12-2007 3:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hello there.
    I'm not sure if this is the right board or if this should be on the general science board but here goes.

I am currently writing a series of novels for my own amusement (who knows maybe one day ;)) and I have a few questions about how, say, dual moons would affects the planet

Yes I know its a dumb question but I'm a stickler for accuracy. For example how would the tides be affected? What difference would it make if the moons orbited each other as they orbited the planet (or is it even possible etc.)

I know its a rather vague question and any help in the matter is much appreciated. If someone knows of other dites able to help me in this matter?

Thank you for your time :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    For example how would the tides be affected?

What difference would it make if the moons orbited each other as they orbited the planet (or is it even possible etc.)

Well the tides are affected by the gravitational pull of the moon. So if you had two or more moons then I would presume that it would affect the tides as that gravitational pull would be coming from different directions.

When you say orbit each other, I presume you mean that the moon has a moon (or so to speak). It could be possible if the moons gravitational pull is great enough. In this case I would imagine the effect to the tides would not be different to how it is now as the pull will still be coming from the same place.

Just to clarify I have no idea what I am talking about so I could be a million milles off, this is just an educated guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

depends on how big the moons are

our moon is very large so we have big tides, if we had two moons of similar size then they would have to be far apart or be in resonance where over several orbits they go back to the same patter. in the past our moon was closer and there were more days in the year and tides were far higher

with the sun and moon we get spring tides and neap tides depending on how they align, so with two moon you just get bigger tides and more periods with smaller ones it would be cyclical

if one of the moons was very small , like the average size of moons then there would be very little effect on the tide , but from the point of the story look up the Roche limit , where a little moon, but still bigger than 400Km comes too near a planet or the larger moon it would beak up and become a set of rings

Advertisement