Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most improved players for your club this season and players who have gone backwards

• 25-12-2007 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Mine:

Chelsea:

John Obi Mikel (has to stop making rash challenges tho)
    Alex ( ok he only came this season but after a slow start he's been immense)

backards:

J Cole (back to his hammer days, yes he has scored a peach at the weekend, has contributed very little this season, bar the through ball to Drogs against Valencia)

Kalou ( has the ability to beat his man, never takes the right option, I hope he improves just can't see it happening)

SWP ( unfortuanatelyafter a good spell last year, he isn't playing well at all)

Essien( since Jose left, he's been shockingly poor, he's become so ordinary)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Aston Villa

Improved : Agbonlahor, Young

Backwards : Davies,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United:

Forwards:

Ferdinand (he was good last year, but this season he has been utterly immense)
    Rooney (I think his game has improved a whole lot after last year, and the best is about to come from him)

Backwards:
    Carrick (who seems to have lost all his ability as a footballer)
    Saha (who seems to have lost all his ability as a footballer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My Club : Shels

Most Improved : :eek: Er, we only had two lads who played for us the previous season, Jim Crawford and James Chambers. Chambers should be in the premier division, and had a smashing season. Jimbo was injured a lot of the time, and is now gone from the club. Legends both of them for sticking with Shels.

The club is also "most improved".

Going backwards : The dwindling fan numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Arsenal:

Forwards - Just about everybody, but Flamini and Hleb in particular.

Backwards - Henry & Ljungberg :D Also, Lehman - always a nut, but now a bitter nut on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Everton

Going Forward : Osman

Backwards : Hibbert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool

Most improved, none really unless I can cheat by saying Harry Kewell ;)

Players gone backwards - Jamie Carragher. Last season with Agger he was fantastic but this season without his prefered partner he has struggled at times (and too many hoofed balls). Mentions for Crouch (lack of starts) and Kuyt who is never going to be more than a willing foil for Torres.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I have some similar chats with my mates about Carragher and it seems almost no one see's what you see Mike.
    By the way I agree 100% with you and one other mate does but some mates were saying its cos of the changing defenders every week etc etc.

Too me it looks like he has lost a little bit of pace. He can adjust his game as all good defenders do when they start losing the their pace.
    I know he wasn't blessed with lightening speed in the 1st place but I think you know what I mean ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I think Carragher is playing at a similar level, it's just that Liverpool have adjusted there ethos and are slightly more attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Liverpool:

Improved: Arbeloa, Masch

Gone Backwards: Riise (at an alarming rate)

Next year it will be all about the Lucas......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs

Most improved:

Malbranque, stamini has improved a lot so lasts the full 90 minutes. Always felt he was a good buy.

Backwards:

Dawson, struggling under the weight of being the senior CB in King's absence. Also worried about his absence through illness at the moment, he's suffering from migraines (Dean Richard's loss of form was due to his ill health)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Liverpool:

same as and also sissoko gone backwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Not much to mention for Shels as Des said, so I'll choose Villa
    Most improved: Wilfred Bouma
    Gone backwards (in the sense that he'll probably never play for us again): Thomas Sorensen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looking at alot of clubs, i could name many players that are performing well below par this season. Some of the Arsenal players on the other had have improved immensely since last season. Likewise players like Anelka and Banjani (even though they were also decent last season) have made big improvments.

For united,

Most improved:
    Evra, the lad just gets better and better.

Gone Backwards:

Carrick.
    Saha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool

Improved:
    Arbeloa - Hes been surprisingly consistent. Can defend and attack. Great little player and an absolute bargain

Mascherano - We only saw a cameo last season of about 10 games. He has been immense this season. Our best player after Torres &
    Gerrard.

Kewell - Played 1 game last year. Has featured in the last 10 this year and has 5 assists. Has really improved our left hand side. Heres hoping he stays fit.

Gerrard - Was good last season but not his usual electric self. After coming through a bad run of form early this season he has been immense. 11 goals and about the same in assists, he is a vital player.

Backwards:
    Riise - Contributes very little going forward and is shaky at the back. Hasnt scored in the league in over a year

Carragher - Too many fouls & bad tackles. He has given away a few penalties and hasnt been his usual rock solid self

Sissoko - Our team has moved on in terms of the type of game we are playing. We are attacking more and keeping possession and passing the ball more than in the past. Sissoko hasnt adapted well to this new style of play.

Kuyt - Has been very poor this season. Gives the ball away a lot and offers little in front of goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Blackburn

Improving:
    Bentley and Santa Cruz have gone from strength to strength.

Declining:

Benni Mc Carthy has had a bad start to the season and the decline of Pedersen worries me. He was our formidable playmaker and now is just a squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Liverpool:

agree with that also sissoko and crouch, who doesnt seem to try as hard when things aren't going his way, have gone backward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Norwich

Improving: Gary Doherty (again!!), Luke Chadwick

Declining: Chris Martin,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Manchester United

Improving
    O Shea, Evra, Ronaldo

Backwards
    Saha (sick note, getting worse), Van Der Saar (maybe a little critical there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Trilla wrote: »
    Manchester United

Improving
    Evra, Ronaldo

Backwards
    Saha (sick note, getting worse), Van Der Saar (maybe a little critical there),O Shea

sorry you had a typo

how can you say O'Shea is improving, he's beyond bad at this stage, it seems like he reached his peak after his first season with United and has being going rapidly downhill since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Aston Villa

Forward: Martin Laursen - The big Dane joined Villa in 2004 and spent most of that time on the treatment table but this season he has been in outstanding form and has even weighed in with a few goals. All this while carrying Zat 'Walking Liability' Knight in the centre of defence.

Backwards: Luke Moore - After his blistering pre-season form I finally thought that this would be Luke's year. The guy has bags of potential but has never really held down a regular first team place and now that he has turned down a new contract it seems like his heart isn't in it any more. Such a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Most Improved: Stern John, not technically "improved" but I had it in my head that he would flop and he is doing the opposite. Strictly speaking I'd say Bradley Wright-Phillips is most improved.

Backwards: Marek Saganowski, remember him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

UNITED

Forward
    EVRA

Backward
    Carrick

Passed it
    Giggs
    It breaks my heart to say this but father-time has finally caught up with the legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Most Improved

Faz Kudozovic - from frustratingly inconsistent winger to skillful influential striker

Gone Backwards ,

Keith Foy - has the talent but zero application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Didi Hamann has been nothing short of sensational. Everyone thought he was finished but now he's our mvp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Didi Hamann has been nothing short of sensational. Everyone thought he was finished but now he's our mvp

I would of thought Elano or Dunne would be your MVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal:

Improved.

Clichy: Gets better with every match, and certainly one of the best LB in the country if not the best.

Gallas: Had a slow start to his Arsenal career, but since been given the captaincy has shown that Arsenal certainly got the best out of the Cole deal.

Fabregas: I am not in the least surprised by his goalscoring this season,very unlucky last season not to have been on score sheet more.

Flamini: Again a player who I feel has been unlucky in previous seasons, played LB for us in champions league final season for a good chunk of matches and was superb, unlucky not to start cl final. Was close to leaving club, got his chance in cm and has not looked back.

Hleb: Superb on the ball, imo has also got stronger this season, not easily pushed off the ball now.

Adebayor: While comparisons with Henry are unfair, he is slowly turning into a top class striker.

Backwards:

Hard one this, would be unfair to say Lehman as he has not been in team. Possibly Rosicky which is maybe slightly harsh but would like him to be more consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Smegball wrote: »
    I would of thought Elano or Dunne would be your MVP.

Well Elano hasn't done anything for weeks due to injury. Dunne is rock solid but was that way last season too. Hamann was apparently on the scrap heap last year and the turn around under Sven has been sensational. I only wish he was 5 or 6 years younger. Any City fan will tell you the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MAN UNITED

Forward:
    Evra, Ferdinand, Rooney

Backward:
    Giggs, Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Newcastle : Going forward

Nzogbia - Is been playing out of position all season at left back but he puts in a great performance nearly every game, dfinetly one for the future.

Milner - Same as above, this kid will no doubt be in the england senior squad soon enough, he is just pure class, always gives 110%

Backwards - Martins - not as effective as he was last season but its probably due to the fact that he is being played on the right rather than a striker.

Our 1st 11 is generally a new team so cant really comment on the new players, but they could all do with rolling their sleeves and stop feckin around :@:@:@:@:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

MAN UNITED

Forward

Fletcher - When he first began to play he looked like an unskilled, out of his depth player but now when he makes an appearance he looks like a very solid hard working player who would fit in well at 80% of the clubs in the Premiership.

Vidic - Well, he's become one of the strongest CB's in the Premiership.

Backward

Giggs - Yes, he was a brilliant player with a fantastic career, but he's simply not up it anymore. At least when Scholes got older, he changed his game and played a more reserved midfield role, Giggs is still trying to beat players.

PDN wrote: »
    Arsenal:

Forwards - Just about everybody, but Flamini and Hleb in particular.

Backwards - Henry & Ljungberg :D Also, Lehman - always a nut, but now a bitter nut on the bench.

Agreed 100%.

Forward: I think you could say the majority of Arsenal players stood up to be counted this year, in particular Hleb who is stronger and more demanding of the ball. Flamini i always rated but as we have seen him in more games you could say he has improved. Almunia isnt as bad a gk as people make out

Backwards: Eboue, Senderos (further then last year), Gilberto (he was prob our best player, arguably last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well Elano hasn't done anything for weeks due to injury. Dunne is rock solid but was that way last season too. Hamann was apparently on the scrap heap last year and the turn around under Sven has been sensational. I only wish he was 5 or 6 years younger. Any City fan will tell you the same.

never wanted him to leave liverpool. absolute legend. fantastic player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Improved: Aquilani, Doni, Vucinic

Backward: Mancini, what the hell happened to him? One minute he and Totti are the best of buddys, then they are fighting each other. He and Spalletti have had a falling out as well..the result this is not the Mancini of 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Improved: Aquilani, Doni, Vucinic

Backward: Mancini, what the hell happened to him? One minute he and Totti are the best of buddys, then they are fighting each other. He and Spalletti have had a falling out as well..the result this is not the Mancini of 2006.

Vucinic is a class striker alright. I take it he will be playing for Montenegro when we play them in the qualifiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

United

Forward:
    Evra gets better most times I see him but he has took a few dives this season which I dont like but not enough to dislike him. Ronaldo had an amazing season last season but so far this season he has been even better. Giggs has been brilliant this season especially compared to the last one.
    Anderson.... now I know he is new but for someone who didnt seem like he started good he has had big boots to fiill since the ginger lad got injured and he has been absolutely amazing. unlike his mate Nani

Backwards:
    Carrick, well backwards is the only way I can describe him. his passes all go that way too.
    Saha. thats all I have to say about that,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

JæKæ wrote: »
    Vucinic is a class striker alright. I take it he will be playing for Montenegro when we play them in the qualifiers?

Yeah, yeah..I expect him to play in a deeper role though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Will just repeat what others have said about United:

Forwards:
    Evra - it's hard to believe he was fighting with the floundering Heinze for his place last season, has become immense and without doubt one of the best left backs in the world. As good as Gary Neville in his prime.

Ferdinand - i've always regarded him as a great defender, but this season (in PHB's parlance) he's been utterly utterly utterly brilliant. Has everything as a defender, and his consitency this season makes him IMO the best centre back in the Premiership right now.

Backwards:

Carrick - wasn't great last season by any means, but he was at least trying to improve himself and towards the end of the season put in some displays that indicated he might be able to establish a place in the team. Not happening at all.

Saha - jaysus

I would also like to point out my admiration for the Arsenal team, they have really pulled it out of the bag. Anyone could have predicted that Fabregas would become the immense player he has, but still deserves a lot of credit. Gallas has become a fantastic captain and cemented a great partership with Toure, but again it's still somewhat predictable as we all knew they were great players. But elsewhere, it's unreal the improvement some players have made. Hleb, Flamini and Adebayor were pretty average last season, now they are amazingly good. Sagna and Clichy have become the best full back combination in the league. Even Almunia has stepped up. If Rosicky and Van Persie start to live up to their obvious potential, everyone else is rightly ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Forward;

Iniesta- the complete midfielder, better than Fabregas imo... Cant praise him highly enough, prob my favourite barca player at the moment.

Messi- not much needs to be said, he needed to learn to pass the ball and a better finisher.. He's still a little overly selfish, but he is setting up bucket loads of goals also. He carried the team to a number of victories..

Backwards; (could write an essay here)

Ronnie- He just seems like he doesnt care.. So much talent, but he doesnt seem to be applying himself, doubt we'll ever see his 2005 form again at this club...

Henry- He seems almost nervous... He is trying really hard though, which i respect alot. I think he is still adapting to his new role because he isnt really top dog anymore, and will be setting up goals this season as well as scoring. Also doubt we'll ever see his arsenal form with his chronic back problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Timans wrote: »
    MAN UNITED

Forward

Fletcher - When he first began to play he looked like an unskilled, out of his depth player but now when he makes an appearance he looks like a very solid hard working player who would fit in well at 80% of the clubs in the Premiership.

Vidic - Well, he's become one of the strongest CB's in the Premiership.

Backward

Giggs - Yes, he was a brilliant player with a fantastic career, but he's simply not up it anymore. At least when Scholes got older, he changed his game and played a more reserved midfield role, Giggs is still trying to beat players.

Fletcher barely played at all this season and think he made his first start in the last week or so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If he was 5 or 6 years younger he'd still be at Liverpool. :)

I'd still like to have him and never agreed with getting rid in favour of Sissoko.

• Advertisement
Advertisement