Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Last petrol station in the south - M1 corridor

Options
  • 25-12-2007 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭

Heading up to NI tomorrow, have a full tank already but I want to make damn sure I need to buy as little or no fuel in the North... where's the last station on the way up the M1 corridor? The first I've found on the way back at 4am with a fuel warning light is the Statoil in Dundalk but thats quite a bit south...

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

YOu would have to come off the M1 and head for Dundalk - the Esso and Statoil at Dundalk south are possibly the nearest. There is also one near the exit for Drogheda South (south of toll bridge).
    Im heading up shortly and I will probably fill up in Tesco Maynooth - once Im on dual carriageway/motorway, I'm not coming off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I always fill in the statoil in Dundalk, the last one I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've filled up in the Esso in Maynooth due to having an extreme aversion to Tesco petrol...

I've been told theres a TOP just south of the border in some wee village but likely to be closed, so it looks like a trip to Statoil it is then. To get identical petrol to Tesco, but oh well...

(Ravensdale is the wee village according to TOP's site)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MYOB wrote: »
    (Ravensdale is the wee village according to TOP's site)
    It surely looks small enough in the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Exit M1 north of Dundalk, signed for Ravensdale. Follow signs thru roundabouts for Carlingford. There's a Statoil on the Carlingford road, pretty cheap too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

JHMEG wrote: »
    Exit M1 north of Dundalk, signed for Ravensdale. Follow signs thru roundabouts for Carlingford. There's a Statoil on the Carlingford road, pretty cheap too.

Ya the one at carlingford is the one i use all the time when im biking. Its handy for a quick piss and a coffe. Fill up and non stop to Limerick where i get off the bike with a sore back and swear ill never get up on it again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's more expensive in those border stations. Their main business is the nordies coming south. Better off to hit Drogheda or Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The statoil at Ballymascanlon r'about as has been mentioned is usually a cent or two dearer than further south....it's also always got a tailback of NI reg cars awaiting filling.
    Most convenient IMO is around Drogheda, perhaps Emo on tullyesker hill....come off M1 just after crossing cable bridge, follow signs for drogheda, straight on at the r'about for retail park then take a left at last r'about. Emo is about a mile north. Fill up then continue to head north and rejoin M1 at monasterboice. I'm assuming here that that Emo is open tomorrow...can't say for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I always fill up in Ardee before joining the M1 from the N33 link road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ended up using the Texaco opposite Dundalk IT, 117.9... not the absolute most northern but very close to the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Aye but two crappy sets of traffic lights to wait on, both ways.
    My way in Drogheda has no lights, no doubling back and a stretch of 100kmh national road to ease you back onto the M1.
    I'd say Newry was a nightmare today...

[edit] I wonder whent he powers that be will cop the hell on and allow proper Mway service stations along the M1 and other Mways around the country. The amount of fuel and time that must be wasted by people diverting into bypassed towns and villages to fill up must be huge. Our usual forward planning at work eh :rolleyes:

Advertisement