Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless connection constantly needs to be repaired

• 25-12-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Set up a wireless network in my folks house using a Belkin wireless G USB network adaptor.

But I've got a problem I can't figure out. After a few mins surfing no web page will load anymore. But the windows status monitor reports that the connection is still active with excellent reception etc.

The only way to continue using the net is to 'repair connection'.

What's going on? I've tried updating drivers etc. but nothing works :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

re: current setup:
    What model card? What driver version?
    Operating System? Vista by any chance?
    Static or dynamic IP?
    WEP/WPA?
    MAC filtering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Karoma wrote: »
    re: current setup:
    What model card? What driver version?
    Operating System? Vista by any chance?
    Static or dynamic IP?
    WEP/WPA?
    MAC filtering?

Hey Karoma,
    Cheers for the help!! Should've given more details!

Using XP SP2, fully updated.

USB wireless adaptor is a Belkin 802.11g-125HSM F507051

Driver version 5.1.40.40803

The system obtains an IP address automatically (which means it's set to dynamic, yes?)

According to the settings, security is set to TKIP encryption (which means WPA according to a google there. I set it up with a passphrase under WPA).

I don't know how to check MAC filtering....

this is really starting to piss me off.

The connection now needs to be 'repaired' every 4/5 mins.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Try setting to static IP and a set channel (not auto). I've seen perfectly good network cards fail to work on a certain PC regardless of the OS or settings. You may end up just having to try a different wireless adapter.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Cal wrote: »
    You may end up just having to try a different wireless adapter.

Yep, espec since your current one is a Belkin. Complete crap I've found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Forgot about this thread. Sorry.

I'd go Cal and irlrobins on this one. My Belkin PCI does similar with Vista. Don't bother with their support. One thing you could check for is interference (It's unlikely to be the problem here, but worth a shot). Download NetStumbler and run it and see if there are other wifi networks using the same or +/- 2 channels + check the real reception. You could also test the setup without any security (No WPA) just to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

This is a long shot but ive had this issue on tons of networks. Just make sure that in the properties of the card that the "power save" mode is un checked. On these devices sometimes they allow the PC to power off cards etc that havent been used for a period. As i say long shot but worth a look..

Cheers guys.

Feel a bit guilty cos I set it up for my folks and they get stressed when anything goes wrong.

Go it in Harvey Norman and all they had were belkin. What make would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Linksys, Dlink and Netgear are all good in my experience. Me personal favourite would be Linksys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I concur with Irlrobins. But if you really want to be sure, google the chipset of the Belkin one and just be sure to get a unit with a different chipset.

Cal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

he guys, could it be the same as this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055208387

If so, change the channel, it might help (you have 11 channels)

Long shot as well

Advertisement