Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Collins

• 25-12-2007 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Been listening to Phil now for the last hour or so, and just got to thinking, I never really hear anyone talking about him. Sure, Genesis gets lots of mention, and rightly so, but as far as his solo stuff goes, I have to admit I'm a fan.

Anyone else like a bit of Phil Collins now and again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

some of face value is listenable but not much after that I'm afraid. I feel killing urges (usually with a flamethrower and maniacal laughter) whenever I hear 'Another day for you and me in paradise', its real 98fm Q104 territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

*shudder*

Even "respectable" Genesis is awfully cringe-worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

I listen to my dad's copy of selling england by the pound from time to time, that's about it. However, I really like Phil Collins especially all his "hits". I don't think Phil Collins individual stuff can really be called rock or metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I listen to my dad's copy of selling england by the pound from time to time, that's about it.

That's the one album I have that my uncle keeps telling me is great but I can't bring myself to listen to more than one side of it. That being said it's about five years since I tried to listen to it last.

'Selling England..' Although this is suppose to be the height of Genisis commercial success I think its awful, Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme are much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I like Sussodio (in an ironic way) but not much else by the Philster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

the gorilla rocks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Can't stand him, but he does crop up on people I really like albums every now and again, such as Eno's Little Green World and John Cale's Helen of Troy (a truly superb album if you don't know it I'd recommend checking it out). I'm sure theres other collaborations besides the infamous Zep Live Aid performance with cool people, cause lets face it you can't get much uncooler than PC

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

"Phil Collins did to Genesis what Hitler did to the swastika!"

- Brann Dailor of Mastodon (who cites Phil Collins as one of his favourite drummers...)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Love, love, love Phil Collins! He's the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I went to see him in concert years ago and was a big fan.

Also I did do one of the songs from Tarzan at the Christmas Beers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

man, i would kill for hair like people in the crowd have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

heh, at work the other day me and another lad got talking about phil collins and that turned into a chat about american psycho, and how the chapter on phil collins was the most painful chapter of the book
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

damonjewel wrote: »
    I feel killing urges (usually with a flamethrower and maniacal laughter) whenever I hear 'Another day for you and me in paradise'

Its actually one of my favourite Phil Collings songs. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    heh, at work the other day me and another lad got talking about phil collins and that turned into a chat about american psycho, and how the chapter on phil collins was the most painful chapter of the book
    :D
    It's a brilliant bit indeed. And fabulously recreated in the film. Christian Bale is just superb as Patrick Bateman.
    Aw, gotta say there are plenty of tracks by the Philster/post-Gabriel Genesis that I really like:
    - Mama
    - In The Air Tonight
    - Invisible Touch
    - Land of Confusion
    - Easy Lover
    - Turn it on Again

I also like some singles he released in the early 90s: I Wish It Would Rain Down (even if the chorus is a blatant rip-off of Floyd's Wish You Were Here), No Son of Mine, Something Happened on the Way to Heaven, even I Can't Dance.
    Anything else I've heard by him is SHYTE!!! But even though it's not cool to like him he definitely released some storming pop songs between the early 80s and early 90s. Since then, everything's just been bland muck. And yep, Another Day For You and Me in Paradise is horrible stuff. And I hate ALL his soppy songs.

Edit: Mama is an incredible track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVld3SSv8XY. And that man can bleedin' well sing! It's about a young lad who's become infatuated with a prostitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i dont want to come across as a narky pants, but should Phil Collins REALLY be in the Rock/Metal Forum? Honestly.....?
    i mean mods/posters have pointed out to people that Neil Young, REM and even Smashing Pumpkins shouldn't be in here so why should Phil Collins?

Well definitely not metal, but I suppose some of his music could be described as rock. And since so much of his output is with Genesis, again they're considered rock - well, prog rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i would accept this answer had karl not mentioned this in his post.

Been listening to Phil now for the last hour or so, and just got to thinking, I never really hear anyone talking about him. Sure, Genesis gets lots of mention, and rightly so, but as far as his solo stuff goes, I have to admit I'm a fan.

Phil Collins is pop/easy listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

anyone listen to the chorus of " something in the air tonight " backwards...i done it and he says something rather scary.... :o

but everyone loves phil , regardless of the fact that the cadburrys advert saved his career ( he released his greatest hits the week after the video hit the airwaves/youtube ! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

i dont want to come across as a narky pants, but should Phil Collins REALLY be in the Rock/Metal Forum? Honestly.....?
    i mean mods/posters have pointed out to people that Neil Young, REM and even Smashing Pumpkins shouldn't be in here so why should Phil Collins?

Where did anyone point out that the aforementioned bands shouldn't be here? I think it was actually the opposite, and that the should be here. Why wasn't Smashing Pumpkins just voted an album of the week? Didn't we have a huge Pumpkins thread at the time of their new album?

I'd say you could consider Phil Collins rock, so it's fairly on topic, but I don't think there's that much discussion of the lighter side of rock, and there should be some more of that. Lets not get caught up in a squable over what doesn't belong here, ok?

• Advertisement

Funny that , there was a suggestion from myself in the forums board to split this board into a rock forum and a metal forum. I feel this forum is more metal than rock. Nothing has been decided yet but I think what was agreed that Rock fans should get more posts in about rock to balance things in the forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194047

I can see your gripe about Phil Collins however he would be rock (just about) but I believe that Neil Young, REM, and Smashing Pumpkins as well as many others should definitely have a home in this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Wouldn't be the biggest fan, but you can't deny that he has some cracking tunes. A good man's Billy Joel. But much better drummer than singer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

My opinion

Genesis until Peter Gabriel left in 1975 = AMAZING.

Post-Gabriel Genesis = started well with Wind and Wuthering and A Trick In The Tail. Live album Seconds Out from 1977 shows Collins sounding almost exactly like Gabriel. Good LP.
    After that the rot set in with pretty uneven albums. I suppose there's maybe a dozen decent Genesis tracks between 1978 and now.

Phil Collins - very poor. Take Me Home is ace and there's maybe three or four more tolerable tracks. After that - no.

Collins is a great drummer though. And he sings the Gabriel material quite well. But he belongs behind the drums in Genesis. If Gabriel returns and they tour this year, I'll be there.

Anyone see Genesis in the National Stadium in September 1972? I was only eight months old so missed it.
    First gig that Gabriel wore a costume - a fox's head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

For one of the more unusual things you're ever likely to see, click below. Trust me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs0pyWCNEIY

Quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I do like a few of his tunes - One More Night, Sussudio, Take Me Home, Separate Lives. He was at the height of his popularity when I was in school, and they remind me of those days.

And I've always really liked Easy Lover - surprisingly loud drums and ace tune.

edit: freaky - You Can't Hurry Love has just come on the radio :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Phil Collins bashing has been legal and acceptable since 1982, but I have to say that his drumming has always been second to none.

Listen to the first couple of Brand X albums, and I challenge you to name a better fusion drummer. Also Jack Lancaster's Marscape.

Listen to John Martyn's Grace and Danger and he sounds like a completely different drummer altogether. He also produced that album.

And of course, we have have early Genesis m'lud. From Foxtrot to The Lamb, go name me a better prog-rock drummer.

The problem with Phil is that his 80's MOR solo career basically lost him any earlier 'cred' as a muso that he had. But even in this period he also played, sang and produced Phillip Bailey's Easy Lover LP as well as producing Howard Jones, Freida (Abba) and wait for it....Adam Ant!

I have an original pressing of his first solo LP that I use as one of reference LPs when I'm checking out hifi. Why? Because as a producer he has a fantastic ear and went to three separate acetate houses before getting the exact sound he wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am not such a fan of the ballads but he is a fantastic drummer. I think he was a decent replacement for Gabriel. He is less dramatic and he did help Genesis become huge in the 80s and produce a couple of pretty decent albums.

Here drumming with Chester Thompson.

and here with Bill Bruford from 1976 on Supper's Ready.

stovelid wrote: »
    One More Night
    Good song.
    Easy Lover - surprisingly loud drums and ace tune.
    Quality song.
    freaky - You Can't Hurry Love has just come on the radio :eek:
    It was on 2FM a few hours before your post too - number 1 this day 25 years ago. Probably why you heard it too.

• Advertisement

I would'nt call myself a fan of his but the first episode of Miami Vice where Crocket and Tubbs are driving to what may very well be their deaths and In the Air Tonight is playing ranks as one of the greatest uses of music in a film or TV show ever. It's a very powerful song which has quite dark undertones.

Advertisement