Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting to Les Deux Alps

• 26-12-2007 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey,

I`m trying to arrange a trip in March to resort of Les Deux Alps in the south of France. Nearest airport is Grenoble which unfortunately means Ryanair flights. Problem being I want to bring my own boots + boards. As well as hiked up fares on weekends (fair enough i suppose), the huge excess baggage costs (fair, i`m not so sure??) are kinda putting me off.

Was just wondering had anyone ever accessed this resort from Swiss or Italian airports that might be serviced by cheaper airlines?

Had sourced Aer Lingus home for around €50 from Lyon, but going out is about €150.

TGV from Paris to Grenoble an option maybe? Don`t have any French so their website is a bit intimidating.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

grumps wrote: »
    TGV from Paris to Grenoble an option maybe? Don`t have any French so their website is a bit intimidating.

Try the slightly less than obvious that it would even exist .co.uk version of their site:

http://www.tgv.co.uk/

Looks like you can get the tickets for travel from St Pancras on there as well which would give you the option of flying into London instead. A friend took the train all the way from Bristol via London and Paris to get to join us in the 3 Valleys last year as that actually worked out cheaper than getting EasyJet flights and a bus transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Fly to Paris with whatever airline is cheapest (check out Air France, it often works out very cheap, no baggage charges). Then get a train to Grenoble and a bus from there. Book with www.sncf.com, they will post you out the tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

If you do end up going the Ryanair option, Ben's Bus is a good way to get from GNB to L2A... http://www.bensbus.co.uk/

I have a bunch of friends flying out to Paris and taking the train from there so it is done a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 grumps

All good info, thanks.

Checked out the train from Paris and Geneva. Definitely Geneva + train would be a good option for future years. Not exactly working out schedule wise for me this time.

As for Bens Bus, seems massively overpriced for a 1 hr spin from Grenoble. at almost 40 sterling return. Think there`s a local service for about €20 return.

TGV from Grenoble to Lyon would be my option for return with Aer Lingus.

The reason I was hoping to avoid Ryanair was to avoid their handling charges for boards etc, but just looking at Aer Lingus website, they quote €30 each way for a board, 25 if web booked. Is there any way of avoiding this, e.g. a bit of sweet talk. I brought mine home with them from Canada for free, but I think thats just for long haul flights. Any of ye have any experience of avoiding these charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Best option in my opinion would be fly to Lyon. U can get a bus directly to L2A via grenoble. Thats what we did a few years ago, was grand. Or alternatively like ya say, fly to grenoble and pay the excess!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

Hi a friend of mine lives in serre che he may do a transfer for you and il say your a friend so he does it cheep could'nt even tell you how much it would cost there and back, hel burn the ear of you but hes a decent sort of a bloke talk's a lot of white lies but hes a good bloke so its there if you need it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

I've done the trip from grenoble airport to l2a loads of times

Just get the bus from gren airport into greoble city centre and then the vfd bus up to les 2 alpes. http://www.vfd.fr From what I can remember its very cheap and certainly better than a tgv he whole way from paris!!

PS A little birdy told me the irish champs might be in les 2 alpes at around that time next year!! keep your eyes on this forum for more!!

Advertisement