Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studio information

• 26-12-2007 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm a bit of a lurker making my first post here

I'm just wondering is anyone aware of any studios for hire in the south Dublin, Wicklow or Kildare region and a general price range

I used to use Dublin Studio on O'Connell Street but thats gone about a year now

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

A new studio had its opening in either Rathmines or nearby last friday - I briefly saw a sign up in Conn's during the week - Haven't checked it out yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

This is a pretty broad question but thought I'd throw ito ut there. Just wondering if people have any advise on studio work? Any tips or anything like that? Hoping to do some over the next few months you see.

I have my fair share of experience... What you looking for? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jack Ryan

Fajitas! wrote: »
    A new studio had its opening in either Rathmines or nearby last friday - I briefly saw a sign up in Conn's during the week - Haven't checked it out yet though.

cheers, I'll have to drop into Conns again

It's on the wall to the right, of the counter nearest the door - Was mentioning their launch party, so may have been taken down by now.

Edit: Quick google later, they are;

"The Light Exchange"
    22A Fortescue Lane, (off Mountpleasant Avenue Lower),
    Rathmines,
    Dublin 6.

"Hire facilities include fully equipped professional photography studio, Mac and PC digital imaging with Photoshop CS3, Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Flash, Illustrator and more ... and black + white single person darkroom (colour darkroom to be phased in at a later stage). Video and film lighting will also be available in our studio."

I think their email is thelightexchange@gmail.com

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Any idea how much they charge?

No, I'm afraid, haven't used them!

http://www.thelightexchange.com/

its on their website

thanks very much Fajitas!

funny old world, up to '76 I lived about a 3 minute walk from there

Odd, for a few months last year, I lived 3 minutes from there if not less...

very small world

• Advertisement

Indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Jack Ryan wrote: »
    http://www.thelightexchange.com/

its on their website

thanks very much Fajitas!

funny old world, up to '76 I lived about a 3 minute walk from there

does anyone have their phone number? their webpage isn't working

Hmmmm, nope, just the email above.

they have an evening offer of something like 3 hours for 60 euro
    do you know of anyone else offering something similar in Dublin? (out of hours and cheap preferably)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Is this them?

The Light Exchange
    22A Fortescue Lane
    Mountpleasant Ave Lr
    Rathmines
    Dublin 6

(01)4975626

Other than Dublin Camera Club, nope, I'm afraid.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Is this them?

The Light Exchange
    22A Fortescue Lane
    Mountpleasant Ave Lr
    Rathmines
    Dublin 6

(01)4975626

thanks
    talked to Suzan and we're all set
    I'll go around their place later on to have a look at what I need (and don't need) on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

It looks very nice but one thing is bugging me. The studio space and the training area aren't separated from each other (ie, no door between, just the open staircase).

I went today to have a look at the place
    it was much more than I anticipated it

it was after 5pm and no training was going on so I can't tell how bad they could be

I'll be there tomorrow for the evening, I assume there won't be any training at that time either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great little place, convenient location, the two girls seem very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fw

check this one out
    www.southstudiosdublin.com

run by young photographers mostly - was in there today, real nice people/cool space

light exchange is real good too - great rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

fw wrote: »
    check this one out
    www.southstudiosdublin.com

run by young photographers mostly - was in there today, real nice people/cool space

light exchange is real good too - great rates

This one seems nice, but did you check the page that outlines the rates? €90 for one hour seems good. However, it seems that you have to pay a €100 non-refundable deposit? So nearly €200 for one hour? Ouch...

I've had my session on Friday on that place in Rathmines
    handy location and for 60 euro (incl VAT) for 3 hours, 18:15 - 21:15, 3 x 1000w lights on arms or stand and big softbox and a mac at hand with a big screen to see pictures at 100% or to show them to your client it's very good value

one of the pics here:
    DS2_8181-5bw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

I've used theLightexchange twice. Great place though ceilings are quite low. Price is now €100 for about 3.5 hours

I've used it about 5 times now in the last 6 weeks

€100 for 3.75hrs (well it would be if I could make it in for 9.30 on a saturday morning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

helios wrote: »
    This one seems nice, but did you check the page that outlines the rates? €90 for one hour seems good. However, it seems that you have to pay a €100 non-refundable deposit? So nearly €200 for one hour? Ouch...
    My interpretation of that is that the deposit forms part of your payment. E.G. a half day is €220 = deposit of €100 + €120.

Presumably you only 'lose' the deposit if you don't turn up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dreamworks

This is great. Have been looking for a studio for long but couldn't find one in dublin. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Following on from this, anybody got any details for agencies to get models?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Dublin Camera Club (DCC) have a Studio for use by qualifying members. There are certain rules that need to be followed, but it's a great facility.

1/ You need to be a financial member of DCC.
    2/ You must complete a Studio Course.
    3/ To gain access outside hours of normal meetings you need to apply for a key to the premises.
    4/ The Studio is NOT for commercial work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

hi,just a quick question about the studio for anyone who has used it,how to the lights fire,are they contionuous modelling lamps or strobes,and does your camera have to be wired or do the have a transmitter for your hotshoe ? ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

? ? ?

I'd assume it's either a sync cable or a wireless transmitter - All the strobes would most likely have continuous modelling lights for focusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

hi,just a quick question about the studio for anyone who has used it,how to the lights fire,are they contionuous modelling lamps or strobes,and does your camera have to be wired or do the have a transmitter for your hotshoe ? ?

they use bowens lights that have modelling lights (continuous) and then they flash when you trigger them. They have a wireless transmitter or you can use a cable attached to the camera

It's a great little studio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fw

the joinery on arbour hill d7 have a photostudio for rent too, its really cheap. (120 full day, 60 half)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

fw wrote: »
    the joinery on arbour hill d7 have a photostudio for rent too, its really cheap. (120 full day, 60 half)

Anyone used this space?

• Advertisement
Advertisement