Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zend Framework

Options
  • 26-12-2007 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I have just downloaded the zend framework. I have been messing around with it and its a great framework. I'm a very capable php user so it wasn't much of a problem learning the framework. I loved the mvc architecture system it used. It makes web pages so much easier to build. Well thats its job. It is very much an object based system and deals with more advanced php5 only concepts such as interfacing and abstract classes as well as singleton design patterns etc.
    I would not expect it to be for the faint hearted if they were afraid of classes.
    Things like PDO (PHP DATA OBJECTS) and all.

It really made me knuckle down and really get a better understanding of the power of OOP. "Im still not brilliant though". More work to do

I loved the way you could import feeds with a single function and use all the major API's with ease if needed.

It also has a great support for databases and almost every aspect of the Engine through abstract classes and interfaces etc.

Sorry for the long drawn out POST.

Just wondering do any of you "developers" use it much or do you use other framework.

I would guess Zend is the best as it is support heavily by IBM for gods sakes.

What do you all think.

Happy Christmas!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

cake :) but it depends on the project of course sometimes its overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Personally I think Cake is the best MVC Framework out there. Luckily, if there's anything in Zend that you might need when building something with Cake, you can actually use it as a companion to Cake, which is nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Sorry to drag up an old thread but if I wanted to move into programming from another area of IT, PHP & web programming, would Zend be a good certification to have?

VB.NET and ASP drive me insane, I get a lot more out of PHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I use CodeIgniter quite a bit myself. I love it -- but it's the only one I've really tried so far (the documentation for it is fantastic).

Any of you Cake or Zend people tried CI? Would be interested to know how the various frameworks compare.

//edit.. just realised this thread is a year old :D

youcrazyjesus! -- personally, I'd always go for knowledge over certifications. Leaning CodeIgniter taught me a lot about best practices and good application architecture while also speeding up the process and, at the end of the day, it's still PHP which I know and love. I'm sure it's the same or very similar for the other frameworks.

So I'd say yes, learn it... and if you want to get a certification afterwards then yes, get a certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Well zend is the only certification available for php.
    I found the exam pretty easy to pass once i studied certain books geared towards it - google them.
    Annoyingly they dont tell you what score you got - It's just 'pass'.
    Studying for the certification is actually pretty educational
    so I'd say go for it.

P.S. zend certification has nothing to do with the framework - it's a general php certification.
    http://www.zend.com/en/yellow-pages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Thanks. It's more for walking into an interview where I can say I have it as I have very little programming experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I'm looking at Zend at the moment too. I started with Cake, but wasn't getting it, and thought the documentation was a bit sparse. I'm liking Zend, although I wish it had scaffolding. The certification attracts me to it also - I'm thinking of getting PHP5 certification too.

Anybody know if there are sample questions from the exam legally available for free? I'm not ready to buy the practice exams yet, but I'd like to know the difficulty of the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

3 words... Ruby on Rails.
    I used to use PHP a lot, now i never do. RoR all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Zend is the daddy of PHP frameworks IMO. I really like Code Igniter as well but it's not nearly as well featured as Zend.

Advertisement