Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competitive slug shooting

Options
  • 26-12-2007 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Competitive shotgun slug shooting, cool!
    http://www.nasrc.ie/Target%20Shotgun.htm
    So anybody know anything about the equipment rules?
    I dropped an email off to the Secretary last week but I haven't got a reply back yet.
    I'm wondering if you can use adjustable iron sights, holo, red dot, muzzle brakes etc.
    What types of slugs are permissible?
    It sounds like great fun, oh sorry.......it looks like a challenging discipline that would fully involve the shooter.
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The picture in the link is a little confusing.
    "In the prone position", yet the man pictured is clearly not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

LOL, I kind of thought that myself but as it's not my gig I wasn't going to comment. That particular position wouldn't be fun for me as a leftie; my support arm would be just hanging in the air and there is no option to shoot from the other side due to the wall. Anyway it's just a picture of a competition in Germany. Usually courses of fire don't specifically benefit left or right handed shooters as this would raise a dispute during a competition. Just one thing though, firing full power slugs in the true prone position is very hard on the body and I wouldn’t fancy doing more than a couple of rounds as all the recoil energy has nowhere to go except through your body. I’ve not fired too many center fire rifles with .270 being the biggest, the .270 was a pussycat compared to a Winchester super-X slug in a Remington 870.
    I just ran some rough math on this for fun:

Winchester super-X 1 oz slug (437.5 grains) in a 7lb Remington 870 12ga
    Muzzle velocity 1700
    Free recoil 15.2 ft-lbs
    Free recoil energy 25.1 ft-lbs

Federal 130 grain power shok in a 8 lb CZ 550 .270 caliber rifle
    Muzzle velocity 3060
    Free recoil 7.1 ft-lbs (8.1 ft-lbs if the rifle was 7 lbs like the shotgun)
    Free recoil energy 6.3 ft-lbs (7.1 ft-lbs if the rifle was 7 lbs like the shotgun)

Basically the shotgun will fairly take it out of you in the prone position compared to a rifle. Anyway a bit of useless information just for fun.
    Cheers,
    Slug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Mellor wrote: »
    The picture in the link is a little confusing.
    "In the prone position", yet the man pictured is clearly not :confused:
    Once you're lying down, the position is considered 'prone'. There is another variant which has the shooter lying on their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

rrpc wrote: »
    Once you're lying down, the position is considered 'prone'. There is another variant which has the shooter lying on their back.

Prone is lying on your front. Lying on your back is called "supine", incidentally the traditional position for long-range (1,000yds+) fullbore match rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rrpc wrote: »
    No, afraid not. I am aware what prone is. As sandy mention the opposite is supine. Its not a shooting term by the way, its an anatomical term, although shooting or similar is where it is most often used.

As I said, the picture showns a man on his back, it may be an accepted "prone" position. but its a little misleading, I imagine its not the only accepted..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

No matter what you want to call it the traditional rifle shooting position on the ground with a slug gun will knock the crap out of you after a few rounds :D

Advertisement