Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Castle

Options
  • 26-12-2007 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Im just looking up things about Charleville on the old 6inch maps (1834-1852) and 25inch (1998-1913). There is a farmyard and workshops between the caslte and the "grotto" does anyone know if these still stand and also St.Barthlomew's Chruch the far side with a path leading to the castle.

There is also a hoyl well closeby. Possible links to the prehistoric ritual aspects of prechristian ireland.

I also cant find any features on the road like what I found the last time we were there. Ill bring my diggin gear next time :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Thats interesting Grimes, let us know what else you find out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Well, I know there's a farmyard not too far from the castle, although I dunno if it's original or not, although I do know it's owned by Hutton-Bury.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Grimes is it the farm beside Toblerone Tower? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Nope its the far side of the Castle. It seems you would have to pass it to get to the 'Grotto'. Tobelerone Tower. I like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciancastle

Grimes wrote: »
    Hey Im just looking up things about Charleville on the old 6inch maps (1834-1852) and 25inch (1998-1913). There is a farmyard and workshops between the caslte and the "grotto" does anyone know if these still stand and also St.Barthlomew's Chruch the far side with a path leading to the castle.

There is also a hoyl well closeby. Possible links to the prehistoric ritual aspects of prechristian ireland.

I also cant find any features on the road like what I found the last time we were there. Ill bring my diggin gear next time :p

yes there is a chapel and stables and farm yard the chapel and stables and joined to the castle the farm yard is not nope this helps any more qus just pm me cian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I definitely remember seeing a big barn between the castle and the grotto and a farmhouse.

edit: Ah, just saw Cian's post now :)

Advertisement