Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading socket 939 processor...

Options
  • 26-12-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

well lads , i have an abit an8 32x motherboard and i was wondering what was the best socket 939 chip you could get for them, i think its time to upgrade the chip, dont want to have to replace both mobo and chip so just liikin for a to notch chip o throw in!
    thanks,
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not worth it, socket 939 is now discontinued. Am2 & Am2+ are the latest sockets used by Amd. You might find a 3800+ or 4000+ on ebay but it would be a waste of money as even the slowest intel core2duo processor would demolish it.

Consider an upgrade kit mobo, ram & processor.

Btw, what are the rest of your specs? and what do you mostly use your pc for?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

i know thahat they are disontinued but i just dont want to have to but another motherboard when i only got one a few months ago, got 1.5gb ram! so im lookin for what the best chip was b4 the stopped makin em! , mostly use the comp for inerenet bit of gamin and a fair bit of encoding! i can find the chips on ebay!whats the deal with the X2 chips?

thanks again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

a opteron 160/165/170 will be the best you can get. Then just overclock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not worth it, socket 939 is now discontinued. Am2 & Am2+ are the latest sockets used by Amd. You might find a 3800+ or 4000+ on ebay but it would be a waste of money as even the slowest intel core2duo processor would demolish it.

Consider an upgrade kit mobo, ram & processor.

Btw, what are the rest of your specs? and what do you mostly use your pc for?

Seconded. It's too late now realistically to consider upgrading an S939 computer. It's just too far behind. I have an S939 rig myself, but I did my rebuild early in the first half of this year, even so parts were very scarce.

For recerence, I got a Opteron 180 (2.4Ghz) and they're supposed to be great overclockers, but I was only able to get it to ~2.65Ghz before temps and vcore demands started running out of control.

You MIGHT find a dual core S939 processor on eBay or Adverts, but if not, really at this stage you're as well off to consider moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

banbutcher wrote: »
    well lads , i have an abit an8 32x motherboard and i was wondering what was the best socket 939 chip you could get for them, i think its time to upgrade the chip, dont want to have to replace both mobo and chip so just liikin for a to notch chip o throw in!
    thanks,
    Richie

I would say if you slap in an X2 cheap and you have a half dacent gfx card, go for it.

Get what ever you really can get at this stage.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-134-AM&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

As long as you have a dual core cpu and a good gfx card to back it up, you can play the vast majority of games well.

i.e. my mate has a X4200+ , 2 gig ram and a radeon X1900XT 256mb. He has been able to play any game on high settings @ 1280 x 1024 res.

A cheap X2 and maybe a cheap radeon 3870 would have you well set up for the next year in gaming without breaking the bank.
    (and you can always transfer the card to a new rig later on...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

yeah, that's probably the best idea. Get the OEM 2Ghz and a Socket 939/AM2/775 compatible cooler.

What do ye reckon bout this?? good bad indifferent?
    thanks again!

Best your gonna get, this is what i found also, but not worth the price.

Get a good cooler & overclock it to the max

what bout this one? is there much of a difference? and is that one good to over clock? coz i have this heat sink, im not most over clocker-iesd person around! :) i dont want to spend a fortune ya see! need a new power supply too any ideas??

Cheers again

banbutcher wrote: »
    what bout this one?

Thats socket Am2 m8

Lol, love the way they call it 4.8Ghz, its 2.4Ghz on each core, that dont make it 4.8 :D

As for a psu, go for a good reputable brand 500/600W, Antec, Seasonic, Corsair. Don't skimp on a psu, its the most important component in your case especially if your going overclocking. Buy a good one and it'll last you through your next build.

• Advertisement

ah right i didnt read it properly, i think i might just bite te cheap bullet and get this, for the time being, is it a decent chip compaired to my 3200+ one at the moment??
    once again thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Anything will be a big leap over your current cpu. But dont bother with a manchester core cpu, they were crap then and are still now`.

Get this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=289422

And this to cool it:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=405603

And with a decent motherboard and ram 3ghz is easilly in your reach, also the extra 1mb l2 cache will give huge improvement in multimedia applications.

But really thats a waste of money. As for 35£ you can get a e2140, another 45-50£ will get you an asus p5k SE. And another 50€ for 2gb ddr2..

So in reality its a huge waste of money for you to upgrade.

Advertisement