Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your superstitions?

• 26-12-2007 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Saw mention of a couple of superstitions in another thread, namely wearing a lucky shirt, and having to see every match (or else Utd will lose!)

My cousin has a thing about touching his phone during the match... If he does, then Liverpool are gonna lose.

I personally don't have any superstitions, but would be curious to hear everyone else's! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh was thinking about this after the thread :) I really do believe this, and to be honest, its kinda annoying, more for my friends than me. 'Sorry can't go to your wedding, the United game is on and its crucial we win'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think we should get into a debate on how exactly you influence the game, but suffice it to say you are a nutjob! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Wear whatever jeresy Utd are wearing on a match day. Wear my Utd ring and when out watching a game turn off my phones and give them to the old man, though that's more due to the fact I dont like getting distracted oh and sit in the same seat in the pub all the time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

A few years back I fell into this , wore a dirty work t shirt and sat in a certain seat in the pub. We won and when on a great run of winning games. Which was great but for one thing . Sitting in our local on a Sunday in a old dirty work T -shirt .

Ps i was working on building sites and doing a bit of painting at the time. so the T SHIRT was something to beholded.....

Wear whatever jeresy Utd are wearing on a match day. Wear my Utd ring and when out watching a game turn off my phones and give them to the old man, though that's more due to the fact I dont like getting distracted oh and sit in the same seat in the pub all the time :D
    That's bound to lead to conflict! What if someone sits in your seat?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

On Boardeaux match days, I always wear the same T-Shirt to work.

On match night in Tolka Park, I always have to go up to the press box and have a chat to the PA announcer and see what songs he has lined up to play pre-game, and at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

LOL i was thinking this aswell, cuz it was mostly me.

Mine are:

For very big games, ie. Chelsea, Liverpool, Champions League etc. I wear last seasons home kit, as while in Medjugorje on the day we beat Roma 7-1 i had the badge on the jersey blessed with a tear from the weeping Jesus statue. If i wear it for lesser games it doesnt feel as special. it only comes out when we need it, and we have a 100% record so far

I cannot watch a match at my mate Peter's house as here is what i have witnessed in his living room: Loss vs Crystal Palace, Loss vs Liverpool in FA cup, Loss vs Lille in Champions League, Loss vs Milan in Champions League, 0-0 draw with Reading.

Other than that, not letting my cousin go to Old Trafford as he has been 3 times and seen us lose every time.

Also, merlinsmerryman i like to wear the jersey United will be wearing during the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

DaveMcG wrote: »
    That's bound to lead to conflict! What if someone sits in your seat?! :eek:

Bar room brawl:D

That's fair enough! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If i wear my Yellow 2005 Pool jersey its bad luck, UNLESS its covered by a jumper, or another jersey (for ultimate luck should be covered with Milan Baros Czech republic jersey) a la Chelsea semi final 05 and Milan final 05.

Also wearing my Cisse 9 champions league winners red and gold jersey to Anfield, never lost there while wearing it.

For actually playing;
    Have to score a goal in the warm up against the keeper to settle down.
    Also have lucky black shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Quite simply - i will never say a player from the opposition is playing poorly, as that inevitably means he will turn the game somehow.

I will never say "we are well on top here" even If my team are 3-0 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i have a few strange ones!!

for united - if im watching a game on tv, i will deliberatley miss the first few minutes of the game, dont know how it started. but the bolton game is the only game that we have lost that i have done this and have been doing it for about 2 years now. missed the first 5 against derby, roma, liverpool and everton in the past 2 weeks. some games, if with other people, you cant be late for, so i dont always do it, but as much as possible.

also, before i go to watch a united game live, there is a certain pic on my phone that i put as my wallpaper only for the duration of the game. I have never seen united lose a game that i was at.

when im playing myself, i always leave my bootlaces undone for as long as possible before kick off and i always go for a p**s about 5 minutes before kick off!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I have no personal ones to do with me, however Ive noticed

a- Teams that play in a one off away jersey nearly always **** up/underperform. And usually they are playing the away jersey without reason i.e. the home teams strip is nothing like their own so its pointless. Was convinced pre match for this very reason that Liverpool would be on their arse in Marseilles.

b- Ireland plays absoloutely appalingly in any match that TV3 has the rights to

edit- mcant believe I forgot, but if my Man U fanatic mate watches a CL game in my gaff they dont just win, they ****ing murder the opposition. The Roma game and a few others, I nearly had to throw him out on occasion for his drunken Ingerland-esque Man U chanting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

If I bet on utd to win it wont happen

So I longer do and enjoy are success ; ;

gimmick wrote: »
    I will never say "we are well on top here" even If my team are 3-0 up.
    lol, yeah. You early jumped out of the RDS on Cup Final Day when I tried to shake your hand with about 5 to go :D
    i always go for a p**s about 5 minutes before kick off!!!!!
    Yeah, about that. Stop doing that will you.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

basically this season if i watch the match we dont win

we've been on telly 11 times so far this season, i missed 2 of those (v chalsea (won 2-0), and v birmingham (won 2-1). out of the other 9 games we havent won a single one

today was a strange one tho, i purposely didnt watch it because im a curse

BUT

it turned it on at 2-0 to us and about 3 seconds later knight was sent of and their pen given, so i turned it off

put it back on again 10 seconds before chelseas 3rd went in, so said enough was enough

at 3-3 i got curious and turned it on as ballack tucked the free kick in so i left the room and when i came back barry was after scoring the pen

much the same thing happened for the spurs match, i had to go down the street for something and turned it on at 4-1, we all know how that ended up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Everytime I go to my girlfriends house, something bad happens United. First time I ever went to her house, Keane left United. Ive also been there for the 1-0 loss to Bolton this season, the opening day of the season where we drew against Reading and Rooney got injured, the 2-1 loss against Roma last season, the 1-1 draw against Boro in the cup last season and the 1-0 loss against le Arse last season aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Don't hype up the team before the match...man that never worked out....

Lets just say on one terrible April night, I was left with egg on my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I have none because it's a load of crap

bet you all read Mystic Meg to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I cant watch an Ireland match in a pub. If I do goto the pub we (Ireland) lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Since Liverpool's Champions League run of 2005 I cant watch the tip off at the start of the game or the second half. When they went on the run something always made me miss the tip offs and since then I have seen only 1 or 2 and we have lost those games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Archimedes wrote: »
    Everytime I go to my girlfriends house, something bad happens United.

jaysus man, this time she moved i think.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm very superstitious about people walking into the room whilst I'm playing FM, but thats the extent of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If a goal is needed I leave the room. It goes in, but I miss it.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    If a goal is needed I leave the room. It goes in, but I miss it.
    Er, Mike, that's everyone's superstition.

It's the ol' "go for a piss in case I miss a goal" routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont care how many other people do it!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Hilarious all these people who sit in the same seat in the pub for all of their teams games. Try going to the matches. Might bring you more luck

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Hilarious all these people who sit in the same seat in the pub for all of their teams games. Try going to the matches. Might bring you more luck

Yeah cos it worked for you... :p

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Yeah cos it worked for you... :p

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Exactly. It's been a while since i logged on here but this thread is so pathetic that i felt so strong as to sign in and laugh at all the people who "sit in the same seat in the pub" when UTD are playing or "who won't watch ireland in the pub". Did any of you ever think of going to a match? How can you think that by buying a jersey and sitting in a pub for all your teams games makes you a supporter i'll never know :confused:

Helix is the funniest though, You obviously don't go to the games but you don't even watch them on tele. So tell me, how exactly do you "support" your team?

Anto McC wrote: »
    Exactly. It's been a while since i logged on here but this thread is so pathetic that i felt so strong as to sign in and laugh at all the people who "sit in the same seat in the pub" when UTD are playing or "who won't watch ireland in the pub". Did any of you ever think of going to a match? How can you think that by buying a jersey and sitting in a pub for all your teams games makes you a supporter i'll never know :confused:

Helix is the funniest though, You obviously don't go to the games but you don't even watch them on tele. So tell me, how exactly do you "support" your team?

Do us all a favour and make your next break from here permanent

Good point, well made :rolleyes:

Tell me Unearthly do you think that a person sitting in a pub for all Liverpools games is as much a supporter as someone who actually goes to all them, home and away?

Good point, well made :rolleyes:

Tell me Unearthly do you think that a person sitting in a pub for all Liverpools games is as much a supporter as someone who actually goes to all them, home and away?

Arguement has been done to death on here hundreds of times, not bothered getting back into it

Unearthly wrote: »
    Arguement has been done to death on here hundreds of times, not bothered getting back into it
    Ah jaysis, and I was just after sticking some popcorn in the microwave and all.

Again good point, well made :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Ah jaysis, and I was just after sticking some popcorn in the microwave and all.

Des you have made me tired with all that stuff in the Man Utd thread

I'm not fit to go into another slugfest debate :(

Thanks Anto, Happy New Year

Just noticed you're from the same parish as me. Sit in the same seat in the RF every week watching Man Yoo do ya? Fair play. Get up off your arse and go watch some football

Just noticed you're from the same parish as me. Sit in the same seat in the RF every week watching Man Yoo do ya? Fair play. Get up off your arse and go watch some football

Easy tiger. Each to their own.

Someone has had a bad Christmas.....

No Christmas has been fantastic. All the more fantastic when you get to beat armchair fans over the head with their stupid "superstitions"

• Advertisement

No Christmas has been fantastic. All the more fantastic when you get to beat armchair fans over the head with their stupid "superstitions"

Well done

I'm happy for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Might be worth splitting anto/leixlip into their own thread?

astrofool wrote: »

And bring back thejollyrodger while we're at it.

Why is that? Can't handle the debate? I mean i asked a valid question a few posts back that still hasn't been answered?

Why is that? Can't handle the debate? I mean i asked a valid question a few posts back that still hasn't been answered?

It's a topic about peoples superstitions

It's not about going to football matches

If you want to smell your own armpits, make a new topic about it

It's a topic about peoples superstitions

It's not about going to football matches

If you want to smell your own armpits, make a new topic about it

In fairness to you, thats a valid point and this is off topic so apologies.

I'm superstitious about people who have never seen "their" team live or only a handful of times and still regard themselves as supporters, i hate going to a game i know their going to if they are cheering for the same team as me because i feel my team will lose and thats a genuie superstition of mine.

I'm superstitious about people who have never seen "their" team live or only a handful of times and still regard themselves as supporters

I really don't see what the problem is though, its up to them, how is it affecting you in any way, shape or form?
    i hate going to a game i know their going to if they are cheering for the same team as me because i feel my team will lose and thats a genuie superstition of mine.

Well, like most superstitions, its pretty illogical and not worth worrying too much about. Unless the reason these people are going is that its a big game, and the reason you think Shels are going to lose is because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's not debate, it's thread hijacking. If you're so sure of your position, open a thread on it, and it'll be fun to watch you get shot down like the flaming sissy you're acting like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I cant watch an Ireland match in a pub. If I do goto the pub we (Ireland) lose.

Hmm. The only competitive matches Ive not watched in the pub in the last 2 odd years were both Cyprus matches this time around.

The pub matches were great.

Well, apart from that awful first Welsh game.....and the Slovaks deciding to ruin what until then had been a hugely enjoyable birthday drinking session on September 8th at the last minute.....and the close shave in San Marino (it was raining outside and the satellite signal got pixalated and all blocky in the dying seconds, we were all there with our jaws nearly touching the ground trying to make out whether we had scored at the last :eek: )

If you're so sure of your position, open a thread on it

If you are so sure of yours, answer the question i asked and send it to me in a PM.

flaming sissy

Meeoww!!!

Not just a sissy but a flaming sissy. You really know how to dish it out :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement