Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help get vista to connect to samba server

• 26-12-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got samba setup on my server, created a directory called public with read and write permissions for everybody, this is the guide i followed
    Now, we'll move on to installing and setting up Samba for file sharing to both Linux and Windows machines. Go to Servers > Samba Windows File Sharing. As was the case with Squid, Webmin detects that Samba is not installed, and provides an easy link to install it using APT. Go ahead and click the link, to download and install Samba. Once this is done, we will now configure file sharing.

Since we are sharing on a trusted network, we will setup our file server with read and write permissions for everybody.

Return to Servers > Samba Windows File Sharing, and, in the first section, click "Create a new file share", then complete as follows:

* Share name = enter whatever you would like to identify the share as (I am using public),
    * Directory to share = /home/public,
    * Automatically create directory = Yes,
    * Create with owner = root,
    * Available = Yes,
    * Browseable = Yes,
    * Share Comment can be whatever you wish.

This will create the share public, with Read-only permissions for all. Using Others > File Manager, navigate to /home, select the folder public, and click Info. In the info window that opens, in the Permissions section, select all the checkboxes for User, Group, and Other, thereby giving permission to everybody to read and write to this folder.

Now, navigate to /etc/samba, select smb.conf, and click Edit. Look for the line
    ; security = user

and change it to
    ; security = share

Scroll down to the end of the file, to find the section which describes the share we just created, and edit it to it look like this:

[public]
    comment = public
    path = /home/public
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    force user = nobody
    force group = nogroup

Save and close. If you need to change your Workgroup, do that from the Windows Networking tool in the Global Configuration section on the Samba Windows File Sharing page. Samba's default workgroup is, ironically, MSHOME. Click Restart Samba Server, and verify that you have access to the shared folder with read and write permission from your desktop machine, by creating and deleting a file in the share. The only settings you will have to enter on your LAN machine to gain access are:

* the correct workgroup (Samba defaults to MSHOME),
    * the server's address which is 192.168.0.1 in our setup,
    * the name of the share which is public in our setup,
    * no username or password is required.

Now, I can connect fine from my pc & laptop running Ubuntu, but i can't using Vista. This is a screenshot of the error i'm getting
    networkkc6.th.jpg
    I've the workgroup set in vista to what it should be.

I've googled & found that early adopters of Vista found that it will not connect to Samba share folders out of the box. The technical reason is because Microsoft Vista’s default security policy is to only use NTLMv2 authentication. But that NTLMv2 authentication is supported in Samba 3.0 & I'm running Samba version 3.026, so this isn't the problem.

Can anyone shed any light as to why its not working, I can post the full contents of /etc/samba/smb.conf, but its huge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok, got it sorted :D

Just had to map the network drive in Vista & it now shows up under my computer. I was making the mistake of trying to have it visible in network. :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

out of curiousity were the workgroups/domains the same name ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ya, same workgroup. I can map the network folder but under network the server shows up unnamed and i cant access it. But mapping the drive as drive Z sorted me out, just wanted access to all my media

Advertisement