Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lie about insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

You can lie to the insurance company if ou want, and you'll probably get covered. However if anything happens and you are in a accident. It's called non disclosure and the Insurance company wont pay out a penny and you may have trouble getting insured in the future. If anyone is intrested a health insurance or life insurance company is well within there rights not to pay out on non disclousere grounds on something as trivial as lying about if you smoke or not.

I'd really like to know what car you've got. Im really going to be dissapointed if its a Prelude or Impresa or something rubish like that. But since you havent named it alrady I recokon it all b0llox

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Thing is, to be honest, I don't think your "car" can be all that special, and if it is, you sound like you don't give a danm about it :D

starn wrote: »
    I'd really like to know what car you've got. Im really going to be dissapointed if its a Prelude or Impresa or something rubish like that. But since you havent named it alrady I recokon it all b0llox

Hey! I have a prelude, it's my first car, I love it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put it this way lad: you rear end someone, your car be be slightly scratched, you may bay up to €6000 depending on "damage", and then there is "whiplash"...

...and then your car is taken from you, to pay off costs, and you hear it's been smashed into a lamp-post 2 days later.

Thing is, to be honest, I don't think your "car" can be all that special, and if it is, you sound like you don't give a danm about it :D

Jiminylemux, before you even attempt a reply to that...

Your reference to insuring this oh so special car….
    ….thing is I wouldn’t care about my own car if I was in a crash I would repair it or get rid of it….

So, Unless you can actually tell us what it is. Of us who have already said I believe will maintain that it doesn’t exist or isn’t that special.

…Oh well, this thread was interesting, at least for awhile… I would like to thank BigKev49 for his input of humor which tried to keep it alive for a little longer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Always glad to help. Tis the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

is this it?...
    03lb39.jpg:D

Rare?... Definately!
    Powerful?... Who knows. You could drop in a motor from, say, a jensen interceptor.

Ah I'm only teasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Ok without being too hard on the original poster this car might be his dream car and special to him,one mans dream car might be another mans rubbish,and i dont mean that in any sarcastic way.

But.......

What kind of idiot buys his dream car without getting a quote from an insurance company first,infact what kind of person buys any car that is a sizable change from his current car without getting a quote?? i went from a 1.4 petrol to a 1.9TDI on my last car change and i got enough quotes to last al ifetime before i even started shopping.

And...

What sort of person says....
    ….thing is I wouldn’t care about my own car if I was in a crash I would repair it or get rid of it….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

....Thing is I wouldn't care if I ploughed into the back of you at the traffic lights and my insurance is void because I lied to the insurance company so I would be able to swan around in my sweet car that I just had to have but couldn't really afford to pay for.

.... Seriously mate, I don't know how anyone could even start this thread without thinking "actually no I won't put this up in public. I'll keep the fact that I'm a bit silly to myself".
    The more I look at this thread the angrier I get that so many of us get ridden up the ass on insurance every year, even though we know that we'd tell nothing but the truth because its the right thing to do. While people like this guy (but not this particular guy because he hasn't lied yet) get away with being big fat liars so they can drive around in cars that are cheap to buy but dear to run.

ARG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i know a guy who spend 40,000 on a new lancer and couldnt get insured on it , so he said ti was an aygo. a few weeks later it got stolen and he got done for fraud , lost 40,000 and got a 4 year jail sentence

moral of the story : honesty is the key. if you cant get insurance , you brought the wrong car.

• Advertisement

S.I.R wrote: »
    i know a guy who spend 40,000 on a new lancer and couldnt get insured on it , so he said ti was an aygo. a few weeks later it got stolen and he got done for fraud , lost 40,000 and got a 4 year jail sentence

moral of the story : honesty is the key. if you cant get insurance , you brought the wrong car.

I don't know if I should be feeling bad that this post made me smile like this >> :)

and yeah, I am yellow to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 keefalmighty

Do we get a prize if we can guess the car?

I'll go first.
    Is it a 67' Mustang? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

I guess it'a a 20 year old 911.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

didnt read the whole thread but if your willing to pay whatever it takes to get insured then of course you can.

if 4 insurance companies refuse to quote you you ring the first one back and they are obliged to give you a quote. now dont get me wrong they are legally allowed quote you 10K but they still have to quote you.

if you lie and you have an accident the very best case scenario is that when you have an accident they refuse to pay out.

I had one guy call me who knowingly didnt do something that was a requirement for his policy. he crashed speeding around a corner writing off 4 cars and injuring 6 people. rang us we found out he didnt do this thing so refused to pay out. he is now going to be effectively bankrupt until he can pay each person back for all their court decided loss's.............the court will not be lenient on their awards knowing that he deliberately decieved an insurance company and effectively drove without insurance.

if the problem was that he deliberately lied about car details or his details on his form then he could of easily had an attempted fraud prosecution on his record aswell.

the fact you are even contemplating lieing shows a complete lack of respect for other people and general lack of intelligence. sure people lie but there are some things that just should not be put in jeopordy and car insurance is one of them

edit; also if you had of insured it under your parents name you would be in the same position as above as you must be the registered owner of a car to have a policy on it when they found out your parents did not own it you did the policy would be void(only exception is between husband and wife)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

OP, maybe if you said what car it is, other people who use the forum could invite you to join a club or members group that will help you avail of cheaper insurance.

Just so you know....

If you lie on your policy, Insurance companies will find out. Theres checks we can do to see what type of car matches a reg. Same for Drivers.

If theres ever an accident or claim, somone will always ask to see your licence or other companies ask you to send them a copy (or they should) if you lie about anything, even the engine size, we can decline the claim in full. So obviously a potentially huge cash payout from you personally.

I work in a claims dept, and I've declined a number of claims in the past for whats called as "non-disclosure" ie not disclosing information or giving false information when you incept a policy.

Basically, If you drive around, and lie on a policy, you have no insurance. Simple.

P.s get one quote, get refused ie with Quinn, then get refused in writing from 2 others...FBD&Hibernian then go back to quinn, and they have to insure you, however, they dont have to keep the quote down!

Spy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

If you lie chances are you'll be caught and if you do your basically fcuked. Kill someone and your looking at jail time, if not it's quite likely that no insurance company will touch you for at least 5 years.

Your only option is to try XS Direct, if they won't quote you then there's no chance. Whats this amazing car anyway?

not tellin ya what it is because ill probably have to sell it

What difference does that make, when we see one for sale were hardly going to think it's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Your only option is to try XS Direct, if they won't quote you then there's no chance. Whats this amazing car anyway?[/quote]

thats not really true when i was 19 i bought an impreza wrx and had 5 points and got insured off quinn for 2800, i know it was a bit expensive but not considering my age and the power of the car, a friend got quoted 3600 on a 1.6 octavia a few months after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Do we get a prize if we can guess the car?

I'll go first.
    Is it a 67' Mustang? :D

I'm guessing it's a deLorean

and not just any deLorean but one of the 5 gold limited edition ones they made for American Express :D:D:D

• Advertisement

guil07 wrote: »
    Your only option is to try XS Direct, if they won't quote you then there's no chance. Whats this amazing car anyway?

thats not really true when i was 19 i bought an impreza wrx and had 5 points and got insured off quinn for 2800, i know it was a bit expensive but not considering my age and the power of the car, a friend got quoted 3600 on a 1.6 octavia a few months after[/QUOTE]

Thats fairly cheap, was that at the start of the year and how long ago was it, generally they won't go near a 19 yr old on that car

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

my policy started in march and i bought it in april, if ya go up to them with proof of ownership they have to insure ya, sorry i was 20 and it was april 06 i was only after turning 20 in march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jiminylemux

its a 27 year old yanktank 5ltr engine
    it doesnt come up on XS Direct list
    i cant drive it as a main car as its to big and unrliable
    i am trying to get 2nd insurance policy on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

'70s Mustang?

Most companies would insure that as a classic car, even though it doesn't qualify for classic tax. The problem is, most companies want you to be 25 and have a fully insured daily driver. You may be able to get insured under the Irish Vintage Society group scheme but from what I've heard what you're actual coverd for is fairly limited. I'd recommend "selling" the car to a family member and seeing if you can be a named driver on their policy.

This might be handy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jiminylemux

ya i tryed all classic car companys no luck must be 25
    i also tryed Irish Vintage Society the guy said i was to young and i wasnt going to get classic insurance till iam 25 from any company
    named driver policy you still have to be 25 i tryed it no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

:(

I'd say mothball it for a few years. It would cost you a fortune in tax until it ticks over 30 years anyway.

Advertisement