Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

paris!!!!!

• 26-12-2007 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

my fantastic husband has surprised me with a trip to paris in feb, im sooooo excited never been ANYWHERE in europe so cant wait. my first stop will be hopefully pere le chares where jim morrison is buried and after that?????? am not too interested in the commercial 'romantic' sights though i will do the eiflel tower ect, any suggestions or indider information?? good places to eat, go out, things to do?? anything a little off the beaten track would e great...
    thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Paris is great, I didn't get alot of time there so I only seen the 'normal' sites, E. tower etc.

I didn't go but I heard that the day trip to versaille is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Jim Morrison is in Pere Lachaise in case you have to find it on a map.

One of the things I want to do the next time I am there is go to the catacombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Hey the cemetery is good, and so easy to get to with the metro. A good tip if you don't want to buy the maps of the graves is to take a digital pic of the maps at all the entrances - zoom in and you can follow along exactly where you want to go - be warned though, its massive so pick the ones you might want to visit and then plan a route that won't take you too long :)

Versailles is fantastic to see, again the train straight out and then maybe a 15 min walk up, fantastic building, wonderful interior and amazing grounds.

The boat trip at night is very touristy but still impressive. Notre dame is a must and while your there at the back of it theres the garden for the victims of the holocaust - it was closed in November for me but the display from the outside looked good.

The Musee D'orsay was fantastic - but thats because I knew the certain artists work I wanted to see again massive place either spend the day or target. Very impressive building.

The George Pompidu centre offers a fantastic view, and I really enjoyed the exhibition on the 4th floor I think, the really modern stuff, its a really nice space to wander around with little rooms and hidden spaces and loads of different media.

I was only there for 4 days but had a blast, do as much as you can, and for a bit of romance try climbing the Sacre Coeur at night, its a steep walk but worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Hi - hope you have a great time in Paris. If it's your first time then you can't really come away without going to have a look at the Eiffel Tower and the Mona Lisa in the Louvre. One tip I would have if you are going to the Louvre is to go there via the metro and access it from the metro station itself, as opposed to queuing at the pyramid entrance. You probably won't have any huge difficulties in getting in in Feb but this is a good way to avoid any queues there may be. Also, be aware that the Louvre is closed on Tuesdays!

A trip to Versailles is worth it too - you will have to take the RER (kind of DART).

If you want to do something a little different then why not check out what fairs/events are happening while you will be there. You can see a list at http://eventsuk.britishairways.com/sisp/?fx=event.search&loc_id=134133&cat_id=2229

Also, do take time to just walk around the Latin Quarter/Notre Dame/Bastille areas if you can - full of lovely little streets and restaurants.

I'm actually going myself soon :) so if I come up with any more ideas I'll let you know when I get back..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

If you're feeling particularly flush with cash go for lunch in Jules Verne restaurant on the second flour of the Eiffel Tower. It's pretty cool but since I've been they've changed the menu and I think it might be a bit unreasonable now, not sure!

Other than that, just try and do lots of walking! Sacre Coer is a bit touristy but the square with all the artists nearby is always lovely I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

The metro is fantastis and €1.50 to go anywhere. You must walk the Champs Elyssee, quite the most breathtaking street in the world. And, contrary to popular myth the people are very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

just back
    wow it sure is fantastic, checked out all the usual, but was slightly dissapointed as the catacombs were closed for renovations. metro system is cool (after the initial confusion and language barrier) highlight was def pere la chaise.

Advertisement