Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

distributor cap lead sparking

Options
  • 26-12-2007 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 98 volkswagen polo mk3. Recently it seemed to start 'kicking' for lack of a better word.

I popped up the bonnet there today and couldn't see anything wrong.

When I turned the ignition though, I noticed that one of the leads plugged into the ignition distributor cap seemed to be sparking. Every time it sparked, the car kind of kicked.

Does that sound like I've found the cause of the problem? Would I just need to replace the leads and cap?:confused:

Comments

Yep this happened to me before. The cause was worn leads. Try it in the dark the spark will be arcing between the leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

yeah just replace the lead that should sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If I was you I'd be inclined to replace all the leads. Those HT leads on VWs of that year are notorious for failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Yeah thats a pain in the swiss! A problem on VW's that goes even as far back as the '68 and '76 Beetles that I used to have (VWs arent put together in some regards as well as the marketing dept would lead u to believe!).

I'd go with what everyone else is saying and buy a whole new set of HT leads. Make sure you only remove and replace one lead at a time because if u get all mixed and get a lead going from the distributor cap to the wrong spark plug, the engine will misfire and its a real pain in the arse if you arent a very experienced mechanic... I had to learn the hard way. Or else colour code the leads with the corresponding spark plug and its place on the dizzy cap before u start.

I find it helps to give the whole dizzy cap, new leads, coil and all that jazz a good spray with silicone spray or "damp start" spray as this displaces moisture which can effect the starting of cars like your polo that are probably getting on in mileage... especially in Winter when its always wet.

I know feck all really and my terms are probably all wrong but those 2 tips I just gave u helped me in the past... and I had to learn the hard way!
    Best of luck man! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

While you're at it, you might as well replace the cap and rotor on the distributor. Cheap insurance, especially during winter time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement