Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players outside the Top 4

• 26-12-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Outside of the top 4 teams (United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) which players do you think could make it into the top 4 squad, and preferably which squad?

Personally players I think these guys could make it at top 4 clubs would be
    Ashley Young
    Berbatov
    Robbie Keane
    Aaron Lennon
    Anelka

I think Dean Ashton would be fantastic for Liverpool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hunty, Doyler and Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des man, you are in love! every thread i go into! its all "hunty,doyler and long!"?!?!?!?

let it go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think Shay Given would make the Arsenal team, and could be a replacement for VDS at United

Richard Dunne as a backup for any of them.

Petrov looks good to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was thinking about including Hunt and Doyle, but Long, love is truly blind :) Anyone who scores against Sunderland would be a good bet for you too DesF :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Arteta is the best player outside the top 4.

• Advertisement

i hate Sunderland as much as the next man, But you crossed a line today Des, Cheering for the mancs against them! the dark side . . . . . how could you?! :(

Anelka,Cahill,Arteta,Berbatov,keane,Elano,Petrov,Richards,shorey,Dunne,Ashton . . . . i'm sure there is more too.

Doyle,hunt and long can go and ask my bollox

Mr Alan wrote: »
    let it go!
    Nope :)
    PHB wrote: »
    I was thinking about including Hunt and Doyle
    Well, in reality, I reckon Hunt could do a job with potentially Liverpool.

Very direct winger, and I love his attitude to playing. He just relishes being on the pitch, it's great to see.
    Anyone who scores against Sunderland would be a good bet for you too DesF :)
    :) lol
    i hate Sunderland as much as the next man, But you crossed a line today Des, Cheering for the mancs against them! the dark side . . . . . how could you?! :(
    They're better than Liverpool :p

Who would Arteta replace to be honest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Young is by far the best player outside the top 4. Better than every other winger in the league except obviously Ronaldo too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Messi
    Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo
    KaKa

A lot of the players in La Liga and Serie A as well, too numerous to mention

Tommy Tiernan posts here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

?

Personally players I think these guys could make it at top 4 clubs would be
    Ashley Young
    Berbatov
    Robbie Keane
    Aaron Lennon
    Anelka

I think Dean Ashton would be fantastic for Liverpool.

Not sure about Yong, Keane, Lennon.

Agree with Anelka, only a matter of time before he moves from Bolton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Well, you said which players could make it into the squad, so I think he'd easily replace:

O'Shea
    Fletcher
    Diaby
    Sidwell
    Diarra
    Denilson
    Sissoko
    Makelele
    Alonso

Unearthly wrote: »
    I think Shay Given would make the Arsenal team, and could be a replacement for VDS at United

Not sure about that, Almunia has impressed me this season, has had a lot to put up with and risen to the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I agree with Archimedes about Arteta, he is a class act.

Are you talking first 11s PHB? Because in terms of squad places there are dozens that could replace squad players in the top 4 teams.

Well I mean in general really, not first 11, but first team players. By that I don't mean Johnny Evans, but I mean Pique. I mean Saha but I don't mean Dong.

I can't see Arteta being better than Scholes/Anderson/Carrick/Hargreaves or Lampard/Essien/Ballack/Makelele or Gerrard/Alonson/Mascherano or Fabregas/Flamini/Denilson

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd swap him for Rosicky in a heartbeat. Great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I can't see Arteta being better than Scholes/Anderson/Carrick/Hargreaves or Lampard/Essien/Ballack/Makelele or Gerrard/Alonson/Mascherano or Fabregas/Flamini/Denilson

Comparing the wrong players. Arteta plays on the right for Everton. I think he'd easily replace Benayoun at Liverpool, far superior player IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

There's a hoard of keeper's outside the top 4 who'd waltz into the N.1 position at Arsenal. Given, Gordon,James,Robinson.

Aside form that I'd say that Downing and Petrov would walk into LM for Liverpool and Anelka would get into all of the teams' starting 11 if they were playing 4-4-2

Bubs101 wrote: »
    There's a hoard of keeper's outside the top 4 who'd waltz into the N.1 position at Arsenal. Given, Gordon,James,Robinson.

Robinson :D:D,

Maybe James would be the only one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Anelka,Cahill,Arteta,Berbatov,keane,Elano,Petrov,Richards,shorey,Dunne,Ashton . . . . i'm sure there is more too.

Doyle,hunt and long can go and ask my bollox

Agree with your players 100%. With the addition of Given and Ash Young.

But why would Doyle, Hunt and Long ask your bollox if they can play for the top 4?

cause my bollox knows everything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Micah Richards would get ahead of a few of the big 4's right backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

DSB wrote: »
    Young is by far the best player outside the top 4.

Not a hope buddy.

Cahill, Arteta, Richards, Given, Berbatov... and of course Gareth Bale. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Agree with your players 100%. With the addition of Given and Ash Young.

But why would Doyle, Hunt and Long ask your bollox if they can play for the top 4?

Whatever about Doyle and Hunt (I'm not convinced of eithers ability to be first choice at a top cass side atm) but what has Long done to suggest he could take a spot in a top side? and which side / player would he be in for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Not a hope buddy.

Cahill, Arteta, Richards, Given, Berbatov... and of course Gareth Bale. :D

id have young ahead of every single one of those bar cahill

Stekelly wrote: »
    but what has Long done to suggest he could take a spot in a top side? and which side / player would he be in for?
    Are you insane?

Shane Long will clearly, CLEARLY, be world class in the next eighteen months or so.

Insane and blind.

Ah, no. Seriously.

millersangel was just saying that he, in his infinite wisdom, doesn't think the three lads would make it in any of the "top 4" teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Titus Bramble :D

Jaskaleinen is a good shout for this I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just want a little answer here not trying to annoy and honestly the idea is quite scary, what about arteta in for scholes i would think he'd do damage better tackler to.

I don't think you realise that most United fans consider Scholes still one of, if not the, best player in the team. He was our 2nd best player last year in a team that won the league. He is utterly class and imo better than any other attacking midfielder in the league last year, and this year, I think he's the 2nd best after Fabregas.
    Arteta is nowhere near Scholes now, and nowhere near Scholes at the height of his game. Also Anderson I think has already shown he's got more in his game than Arteta does, even if its not totally there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I would say Berbatov would get into any of the top 4. And, he'd be amazing with Rooney I think.

Also, Arteta would definitely get into the squads but not the starting 11's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i'd have to disagree especially about anderson he doesn't have half the nuances and subtleties in his game that arteta has, and yea i realise ye worship people who're past their prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Young would probably start with chelsea, pool and arsenal but I cant see him making the utd team.

I would say Gordon would have good chance of making the first team in one of the top 4. Petrov for Man City is another player who could make it.

Off Topic but is Adebayor going to be playing in the African Nations Cup?

mayordenis wrote: »
    i'd have to disagree especially about anderson he doesn't have half the nuances and subtleties in his game that arteta has, and yea i realise ye worship people who're past their prime.

Scholes has been written off before and come back just as good.

Just look at him before he got that eye injury, he was probably the worst player at the club. Then he came back last year and was excellent.

His form this season didn't match last years but only a fool/Liverpool fan would write him off not turning in more great consistent performances.

eoccork wrote: »

Nope, his country didn't qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hmm, the key thing here is, are there players there that would IMPROVE the top 4. im not sure if there are many players that would walk into a fully fit top 4 side, but -

given could defo be one at arsenal. united have been interested in him before, maybe a replacement for van der sar, but foster is the number 1 option atm.

berbatov, could fit into united, but would he displace rooney/tevez at the moment? would be a good option though. anelka already has had his stints with arsenal and liverpool.

micah richards would probably be a good option for all 4 clubs, but maybe he is over rated?

liverpool need to improve in a few positions, but not sure if the type of players they need are there. defo on the winger front anyway.....hunt? thing is Des, how could you adore him if he wore a liverpool jersey?!!seriously like.

liverpool also need another striker, but im struggling to see who.

other players who i rate, but not necessarily think would improve the top 4 -

arteta and cahill, benny mccarthy(though off form this year), friedel, shorey, elano, defoe.

hunt? thing is Des, how could you adore him if he wore a liverpool jersey?!!seriously like.
    :eek:

I never thought of that. What will I do??

other players who i rate, but not necessarily think would improve the top 4 -

defoe.
    Meh, I think Defoe hasn't fulfilled much of his early potential, he was quality with West Ham, but seems to have lost his way a little, and isn't going to get in ahead of Keane/Berbatov once the Festive Madness Fixture List is done with, unless one of them gets injured I suppose.

I think if Fergie had have wanted him, he would have taken him when he was leaving WHU. So Fergie obviously doesn't see him as good enough for United.

• Advertisement

eoccork wrote: »
    Young would probably start with chelsea, pool and arsenal but I cant see him making the utd team.

I would say Gordon would have good chance of making the first team in one of the top 4. Petrov for Man City is another player who could make it.

You don't rate Young higher than Giggs or Nani? Mad. And eh Gordon has been dropped from the Sunderland team like on occasion. He isn't that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Togo didn't qualify for the African Nations cup, so Adebayor won't be playing.

Edit: Whoops, answered already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DSB wrote: »
    Gordon has been dropped from the Sunderland team like on occasion. He isn't that good.

i said that when we were interested in him that he just wasnt that bloody good and i was ridiculed, i love it when im proven right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i personally like tim cahill, think he has a great approach to the game.

I think Gareth Barry could be a good squad player for any of the top 4, but I reckon he'd stay with Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I'll just name a few players I'd like to see in the Liverpool side. Cause i really don't give a flying fcuk who would improve United, or give Chelsea more flair, or who would be English for Arsenal.

Dean Ashton - Would be the perfect foil for Torres. Big strong lad, very very intelligent player. Not the quickest, but wouldn't have to be playing alongside El Nino.

Anelka - Just a great player. Full stop. Shouldn't be wasting away at Bolton the way he is.

Berbatov - Crying out for a player of this ilk. Looks disinterested at times. But fcuk it. Holds the ball up so well and brings people into play.

Bale - Guys gonna be brilliant. We're crying out for a decent left back too. While i think Aurelio is as good as anyone when fit. The poor bsatard is made from glass.

Man City - Some great talent here. Sven has bought very very well. Elano, Petrov, Corluka would all improve Liverpool somewhat.

I'd probably throw our Robbie Keane in there too.

All in all i don't think there's too many outstanding players outside of the 'top 4'(hate that term). And the ones that are, will all be overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon the following...

Nicolas Anelka - Clinical
    Dimitar Berbatov - Intelligent
    Elano - Bags of quality. Great signing for City.
    Shay Given - Remains one of the best goalies in the league
    Micah Richards - Strong and powerful and still young
    Roque Santa Cruz - Impressive player who brings a lot to the table.
    Mikel Arteta - Crafty and cunning. A joy to watch.
    Tim Cahill - Very underrated performer.
    Robbie Keane - Quality on his day.
    Ledley King - Solid defender, when fit of course
    Michael Owen - Super striker, when fit of course
    Richard Dunne - He'd fit in at Liverpool well I reckon
    Obafemi Martins - I think he'd be awesome with regular service provided

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I think Santa Cruz would get into a Top 4 team at the moment and from what Ive seen Nicky Butt could too with the form he has shown this season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Petrov would improve any of the top four's left wings, IMO. I think he's been a more useful player than Elano all season for Man City. Roque Santa Cruz could easily display Saha, Voronin, Crouch or even Shevchenko, although it's debatable if these are first teamers and whether he's want to warm the bench at a big 4 club.
    I think Arteta, for all his skill, is best suited in the smaller pond of Everton and wouldn't thrive so much at Manchester United or Arsenal.

Given is having a terrible season, maybe just a blip, but he wouldn't replace any of the top keepers at the moment (except maybe Cech, who's on a rich streak of turgidity).

I fail to see the appeal of Dean Ashton or why BBC commentators constantly fawn over him. Berbatov is not all that either. Ashley Young would improve Liverpool (or Liverpool would disimprove Young) if he replaced Benayoun or Pennant, or Kewell, though I think Babel has more potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Robbie Keane is the premiership's top scorer for 2007. Must be in with a shout for one the awards along with Ronaldo and Fabregas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement