Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Connecting to the Internet!!

Options
  • 26-12-2007 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi All

Im having trouble trying to connect to the net with my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop.

I've connected it to my wireless network and at the bottom right hand side my icon appears and tells me I'm connected, with the speed and so on but when I try open Mozilla or Internet Explorer I get the "Page Cant be Displayed".

I've also tried checking to make sure that i have an IP address and stuff in cmd prompt but a funny thing happened - the first time I did it it gave out about my Local Are Connection so I just disabled this than enabled it and it works fine again.

I now get all the information such as the IP address but I still can't get a page to open on my browser.

Cheers for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

seems obioua but did you just try to type in www.google.ie?instead of refreashing your page which may just be bringing up the page cannot be dispkayed thing, just make sure to try that, that where i make my mistakes most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

doyler442 wrote: »
    I've also tried checking to make sure that i have an IP address and stuff in cmd prompt but a funny thing happened - the first time I did it it gave out about my Local Are Connection so I just disabled this than enabled it and it works fine again.

I now get all the information such as the IP address but I still can't get a page to open on my browser.

Are you getting a correct IP address if it's a home wireless network it's probably something like 192.168.x.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0

Try ping some where like www.google.com and let us know what kind of response you get.

Do you access the internet through a proxy at work or elsewhere using this laptop? If so you may have to tell your browser not to use a proxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DellCA

doyler442 wrote: »
    Hi All

Im having trouble trying to connect to the net with my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop.

I've connected it to my wireless network and at the bottom right hand side my icon appears and tells me I'm connected, with the speed and so on but when I try open Mozilla or Internet Explorer I get the "Page Cant be Displayed".

Cheers for the help

Hi,

My name is Todd and I am with Dell's online outreach program at our headquarters in Texas. If you haven't resolved this problem yet you may want to try resetting the Winsock TCP/IP settings on your system to see if that helps.

Here is a link from our support site showing how to reset it on a system running Windows XP. Please note, on this page there are seperate instructions depending on whether you're running Service Pack 1 or 2. SP 2 makes it much easier to reset the Winsock settings.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=D182ADD15C2839C3E030A68F732846D5&doclang=en&cs=

If you have problems with that link just go to our support site, http://support.Dell.com and do a search either on Winsock or the phrase "page cannot be displayed" and you should be able to locate the link.

Let me know if any of this helps or if the problem continues. I'll check back to see if there is anything else I can do to help if this doesn't resolve the problem.

Thank you,

Todd
    Customer Advocate
    Dell, Inc.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2006/11/19/3648.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭accensi0n

rmacm wrote: »
    Are you getting a correct IP address if it's a home wireless network it's probably something like 192.168.x.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0

Try ping some where like www.google.com and let us know what kind of response you get.

Do you access the internet through a proxy at work or elsewhere using this laptop? If so you may have to tell your browser not to use a proxy.

Seems like its this problem to me, if it is, follow these steps.

1. Open your web brower
    2. Go to tools in the menu bar
    3. Go to Internet Options
    4. Go to Connections
    5. Go to LAN Settings
    5. Uncheck the box that says, "Use a proxy server for your LAN"

internetsettings.jpg

Advertisement