Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding wireless for laptop

• 26-12-2007 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I have my iMac hooked up to my NTL Broadband via a MOTOROLA modem - thats all fine!

Thing is I bought Mrs. 6th a DELL Inspiron 6400 for Christmas and picked up a TP-LINK Wireless LAN.

I haven't been able to get anything right with it so far. At one point it looked like the Laptop was connected and all I needed to do was enter my ISP name and password .... but that didnt work. I've tried contacting NTL but they just keep saying someone will ring me back :rolleyes:

Anyone in the know see anything I am doing wrong straight off? Could it be a mac to PC problem?

I want to keep the iMac direct to the modem and just have the laptop wireless.

Yes people ...6th hasn't a clue!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

So you've no router in your setup?

6th wrote: »
    Yes people ...6th hasn't a clue!
    ethernet wrote: »
    So you've no router in your setup?

See above statement :)

Well when I asked in Max BUrns for a wireless router I got the TP-Link device? I had it plugged into the modem and my iMac could connect wirelessly no problem.

I was getting a signal with the laptop but couldnt connect, I presume this was due to an ISP problem, but the TP Link device said in the instructions that I should reset the device which I did .... now nothing :(

*Edit: Sorry I see now that the TP-Link device is this: http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

6th wrote: »
    ... Well when I asked in Max BUrns for a wireless router I got the TP-Link device? I had it plugged into the modem and my iMac could connect wirelessly no problem.

I was getting a signal with the laptop but couldnt connect, I presume this was due to an ISP problem, but the TP Link device said in the instructions that I should reset the device which I did .... now nothing :(
    Well it's the correct type of router as it has a WAN port for connection to your Motorola modem. When you open http://192.168.1.1 (username and password of 'admin' unless you changed it since resetting), any sign of an Internet connection? Best get that working first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

So your mac and laptop can connect to the router wirelessly ok, but can't connect to the web, is that correct?

• Advertisement

That was teh case but thankfully my webhost guy came over last night and spent an hour sorting it all out .... of course he is my brother-in-law :)

Thanks for taking the time guys, cheers.

6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Well feel free to share how he fixed it so others might benefit. Sharing is caring!

I wish I knew!

Anyway he is a Boardsie so I'll get him to post it up here.

Advertisement