Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Class

• 26-12-2007 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

Wanted to make a thread about this because the term gets thrown around so often on this board. There doesn't seem to be a set definition for the term which makes arguments about players frustrating as two people may be working off different definitions.

I think the most common idea of the word is that the player is one of the best players in their position in their world. My problem with this is - what does among mean ? Is it the top 2 players ? top 4 players ? If the 5th best right back in the world plays for my club, does that mean hes one place off being world class ? Personally, If I had to define the word I think the best way would be this 'a player that would arguably get into the squad of any team in the world.

My other problem with the word is that the vast vast majority of people that use it, only watch the premiership. Maybe they watch La Liga highlights on Sky or the odd Real or Barcelona game but very few would actually have any sort of knowledge of world football. If this is the case how can you say make the claims that x amount of players from your team are world class ? I prefer to just call very good players, very good players and leave it at that.

Am I alone in thinking this ? Am I getting annoyed over nothing ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

World Class.

There are some stipulations as to what constitutes a world class player, imo.

Not younger than 23/24. Far, far too many players are called world class after two or three very good seasons. It's a joke. If you perform at the top of your game for five, six, seven, eight years, that is world class. If you have two or three or excellent seasons, you are not world class. You are a good young player with potential to get better. If you handle the pressure of being at the top and can keep it up, then yeah, world class. Not until then. Not ever, no exceptions. Lionel Messi, C Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney etc etc Not World Class. Not at this stage.

If a player has success at every level he possibly could have, then he is world class.

Domestic, European, Continental Champs (Euro, Copa America etc), World Cup.

The following players were world class in their day, without a shadow of a doubt, they are accepted as being the best footballers to have played the game, ever. They did it for years.

Maldini.
    Baresi.
    Van Basten.
    Zidane.
    Cruyff.
    Best.
    Maradona.
    Pele.
    Romario.
    The Fat Ronaldo.
    Ronaldinho.

Shíte, I fogot.

Hunt.
    Doyle.
    Long. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The term World Class is usually spouted by the EPL watchers. Does it really matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

DesF wrote: »
    World Class.

There are some stipulations as to what constitutes a world class player, imo.

Not younger than 23/24. Far, far too many players are called world class after two or three very good seasons. It's a joke. If you perform at the top of your game for five, six, seven, eight years, that is world class. If you have two or three or excellent seasons, you are not world class. You are a good young player with potential to get better. If you handle the pressure of being at the top and can keep it up, then yeah, world class. Not until then. Not ever, no exceptions. Lionel Messi, C Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney etc etc Not World Class. Not at this stage.

If a player has success at every level he possibly could have, then he is world class.

Domestic, European, Continental Champs (Euro, Copa America etc), World Cup.

The following players were world class in their day, without a shadow of a doubt, they are accepted as being the best footballers to have played the game, ever. They did it for years.

Maldini.
    Baresi.
    Van Basten.
    Zidane.
    Cruyff.
    Best.
    Maradona.
    Pele.
    Romario.
    The Fat Ronaldo.
    Ronaldinho.

See, you make some good points and your definition of a world class player is a fair one. I cant pick holes in it. Its exactly why I dont like the word, as your definition is completely different to mine. Christiano Ronaldo for example, would get into the squad of any team in the world so by my thinking, hes world class....but not by yours.

Theres is an amazing about of debate on various threads about world class players. "your team only has one world class player!" - "no we have 7" "no you have 1" and on and on and on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Domestic, European, Continental Champs (Euro, Copa America etc), World Cup.:p

Have to disagree a bit here. Certain players, no matter how good are prohibited from having an illustrious international career simply because of where they happened to be born .Best , Keane, Giggs, Rush are four examples that spring to mind. I mean from that list, Keane is the only one who even got to play in a world cup (or EC iirc), never mind be in a team capable of winning it.

International sucess is not really somethign a player has control of and the best he can do is play well in the mayches they play. If Maradona had been from Andorra, would he still be world class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i dont buy that tbh

you could be an absolutely phenomenal player, but never win anything thought bad luck, bad teammates, whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Tusky wrote: »
    If I had to define the word I think the best way would be this 'a player that would arguably get into the squad of any team in the world.
    This sounds like a fair definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My definition is a player who is better, or as good as, the players in his position in the world.

Again that comes down to opinion as to who is the best in each position

However I hate when you see people compairing a striker to a defender etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I dunno about that. Wouldn't the whole Barcelona or Man United first 11 get into every squad in the world? I certainly don't believe the whole Man United first 11 is world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

my own personal definition of world class involves the players who would make it into a world XI squad...... the top 5% in their position..... i like rooney, i think hes a great player, but i dont consider him to be quite world class, similarly with steven gerrard and frank lampard, who would you rather in your team? lampard/pirlo/frings/ballack/gerrard/fabregas/riquelme/gago

thats just a small list of some of the best midfielders in the world, there are many many more and how do you separate them? its very very hard tbh! would take a long time and lots of debate imo. it doesnt really matter that much who is the best, it matter who has the best impact on their team

you can draw up similar lists for all positions and you will never find people who will agree on everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

top 5 in their position in the world for me, which pretty much limits there to being 55 world class players at any given time in my opinion

• Advertisement

Some people up there are confused by me saying that success at every level is needed for World Classity.

No, what I actually said was "success at every possible level".

See, I have Best on my list. He won Domestic and UEFA honours.

He was never going to win, or ever even play in, the WC or EC with NI. He's still on my list though, a truly World Class player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Some people up there are confused by me saying that success at every level is needed for World Classity.

No, what I actually said was "success at every possible level".

See, I have Best on my list. He won Domestic and UEFA honours.

He was never going to win, or ever even play in, the WC or EC with NI. He's still on my list though, a truly World Class player.

No, Best is a legend. That's different to world class. World class are those players who are the best in the world during their careers but are not in the all-time world XI. Zidane say might be a legend but he was probably only world-class, like Cryuff or Maldini. There are also local legends, who might not even be world class (Shearer, Carra, Neville, LeTissier etc). Then you have those players with stardust (Torres, Ronaldo etc - Big 4 only)...

George Best was a world class player.

Anyone who says any different doesn't like football.

George Best was a world class player.

Anyone who says any different doesn't like football.

BLah, Blah , Bah, wasted career, Blah , Blah alcho etc etc. :D

Just getting in first before some numpty comes on saying same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There's probably 50-100 players in the world class bracket. Top 5-10 in each position.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    There's probably 50-100 players in the world class bracket. Top 5-10 in each position.

...and none of them play for Celtic :D

:eek:How dare you. Nakamura is the best player in world football, fact.

The also have the biggest name in world football plaing up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

aidan mcgeedy des, dont forget him:p

my definition of world class - any player, who in his position, would fit into any team in the world and improve that team.

in the premiership, fabregas, rooney, ronaldo are the 3 front runners here anyway. czech would definately be another. honours means nothing to be honest, i genuinly think Shay Given is world class also and he has won f**k all. if he was at a "bigger" club and a different country, then he may, i say may, have won alot more. damien duff, around 2002 was world class.

damien duff, around 2002 was world class.

Is playing really well for a while world class though? or playing out of his skin for a while?

damien duff, around 2002 was world class.
    You know that Family Fortunes sound, when they say an answer but no-one in the survey said it? Well that sound is playing right now.

Duffer was never world class, he was a player who had three decent seasons and got hyped the fúck in Ireland. Like Robbie, Jason McAteer, Gary Kelly and the Fabulous Phil Babb before them.

Get a grip will you.

• Advertisement

Well yeah, other than Naka. ;)
    he was a player who had three decent seasons and got hyped the fúck in Ireland.
    It wasn't just Ireland. FIFA team of the year voted by over a million people. ;) Anyway, easily one of the best wingers in the world under Ranieri.

Well yeah, other than Naka. ;)

It wasn't just Ireland. FIFA team of the year voted by over a million people. ;) Anyway, easily one of the best wingers in the world under Ranieri.

1 million voters, 4 million people in Irleand. I'm seeing a pattern. :)

After the Ronny O'Brien thing nothing would surprise me. :)

Duffer was never world class.

well we will have to agree to differ on this. IMO, duffer, at the time was one of the best, if not the best left winger in the world. not just with ireland, with blackburn and then chelsea. i saw him play live a few times and was amazed at how good he was at times. please do not mix up form and class lads!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Let me know what other wingers in the world you saw to verify that he was one of the best in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

i genuinly think Shay Given is world class also and he has won f**k all. if he was at a "bigger" club and a different country, then he may, i say may, have won alot more. damien duff, around 2002 was world class.

Indeed. Id rate Shay ahead of Cech tbh. He just has the misfortune of playing with some pretty awful defenders over the years, and why he is still at Newcastle (and probably will be until he retires) I really dont know. But its a crying shame a player of his calibre, skill and 110% commitment will likely never be part of a team that lifts a trophy.

While I agree with Des re Robbie did anyone really state McAteer, Babb and Kelly were world class?
    ]
    Shíte, I fogot.

Hunt.
    Doyle.
    Long. :p

Your new best friends have`nt taken out the restraining order yet? :p:)

shane86 wrote: »
    Your new best friends have`nt taken out the restraining order yet? :p:)

apparantly, there is pictorial evidence that they are already very very afraid!!!:p

After the Ronny O'Brien thing nothing would surprise me. :)

Now there was a genuine world class player :D

Let me know what other wingers in the world you saw to verify that he was one of the best in the world

mark rutherford and kevin kilbane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

oobydooby wrote: »
    No, Best is a legend. That's different to world class. World class are those players who are the best in the world during their careers but are not in the all-time world XI. Zidane say might be a legend but he was probably only world-class, like Cryuff or Maldini. There are also local legends, who might not even be world class (Shearer, Carra, Neville, LeTissier etc). Then you have those players with stardust (Torres, Ronaldo etc - Big 4 only)...

Are you even sure what you're talking about here? It doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I thought this thread was about what the definition of world class was, not which players were or not (btw, Roy Keane would be world class in Desf's definition :)).

It seems to be a word bandied about too often, usually by supporters in a points winning excercise.

I think a better way to look at it, is what players you would most like to come to your team, without considering money/pay/age, and ignore this "world class" malarkey, it doesn't really mean anything as it's been abused so much. Every person wants to feel like their team has some special players (long, hunt, doyle), and so will adapt definitions to suit themselves, otherwise, wtf are they doing supporting a team with a bunch of crap players? (without going into what a "supporter" is please :p)

astrofool wrote: »
    is what players you would most like to come to your team,
    Barcelona wanted Gary Breen at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No defender came close to him between 1998-2002

(btw, Roy Keane would be world class in Desf's definition

He was world class in any definition.
    Unearthly wrote: »
    No defender came close to him between 1998-2002

Only because they were up the other end of the pitch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What the fuck? So you're saying Gary Breen wasn't world class? I've heard it all now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Create match. Team A vs Team B with all the players in the world to choose from.

If you make either team or the bench then you are World Class.

Stekelly wrote: »
    He was world class in any definition.
    Yeah, I agree.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Only because they were up the other end of the pitch.
    Heh. :)
    What the fuck? So you're saying Gary Breen wasn't world class? I've heard it all now.
    Yeah, I'm saying Gary Breen wasn't World Class, if you have a problem with that, we can take this outside.

I may be slated for this, but fúck you all tbh. Gary Breen most certainly was not world class. Sure, he did it all. Scored in a World Cup, mooted move to Barca scuppered only by his unending loyalty to Coventry City, skillz of ten Madonnas to boot. And that song of course "We all dream of a team of Gary Breens".

But still, I would argue that Breener wasn't world class.

I say he wasn't world class, because quite plainly still is world class. Wherever he is now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, I'm saying Gary Breen wasn't World Class, if you have a problem with that, we can take this outside.

I may be slated for this, but fúck you all tbh. Gary Breen most certainly was not world class. Sure, he did it all. Scored in a World Cup, mooted move to Barca scuppered only by his unending loyalty to Coventry City, skillz of ten Madonnas to boot. And that song of course "We all dream of a team of Gary Breens".

But still, I would argue that Breener wasn't world class.

I say he wasn't world class, because quite plainly still is world class. Wherever he is now.
    You're right, apologies!

Barcelona wanted him, I doubt the fans did, and they may have been at a low ebb at the time (Barca were awful a short few years ago).

Manchester United just signed an Angolan striker, I doubt the Utd fans will want him above all others, there's a difference.

Barcelona wanted him, I doubt the fans did, and they may have been at a low ebb at the time (Barca were awful a short few years ago).

Manchester United just signed an Angolan striker, I doubt the Utd fans will want him above all others, there's a difference.

Here, I got you this for Christmas. :)

• Advertisement

it was inter milan that wanted gary breen after the world cup in 2002. i ended up singing that t"eam of gary breens song" last night. legend yes, world class no im afraid not, Des.

Here, I got you this for Christmas. :)

Well if you had to resort to sarcasm, then I've won the debate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So far we have found out that a world class players is

-someone who could get into any squad
    -someone who could get into any team and improve them
    -someone who has had success at every level
    -top 5 in their position
    -top 10 in their position
    -someone who would make the team or bench of one of two world XIs....

etc etc etc

So everyone has a different definition. Its a crap way of defining a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I don't think you can really call any player totally world class, but alot of players have world class attributes.

Advertisement