Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC stuck on continuous reboot cycle (Win XP Pro)

• 26-12-2007 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

So I've been allowing a visiting relative to use my main PC (Win XP Pro, SP2) while he's here.

This afternoon, he reported that it was stuck in a loop, which it is. It won't boot into Windows. I've tried booting into safe mode, and it goes as far as loading mup.sys, then reboots.

I ran chkdsk /R from the recovery console, which did fix a couple of errors, but did not fix my problem.

I am loath to Repair my installation, since my install CD is only an SP1 release (I have SP2 on a separate CD), and I'm even more disinclined to reinstall Windows. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 staby

1) Boot off the XP CD and enter the "recovery console"
    2) type "diasable mup" and hit enter (with out quotation marks)
    3)reboot normaly and should work.

might be worth a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Thanks for the quick reply, Staby.

I followed your advice, and now it hangs after another one - a Zone Labs one, screscan.sys - this is curious, as I don't have Zone Alarm Suite, of which this is apparently a component. Ah, I see ZA free installs this, and its companion, screscan.dll, but doesn't use them. I'll see about removing them, then, and hope that that solves it. It won't, of course, but one can always hope.

Thank you.

EDIT: correction: srescan, not screscan.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

OK, that didn't help - it's just stopping at NDIS.sys now, and I ain't going to disable that. Looks like I'll have to Repair it :mad:

Still, it's the lesser of two evils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brigantia

i had a problem with srescan as well, but my screen kept flickering on and off every now and then. so i deleted zonealarm altogether but i still have the srescan in the device manager with a big yellow circle and an exclamation mark in it, i don't know if i should remove it or not. i don't know if i should reinstall zonealarm either, is there any other firewall out there thats better, or should i just go ahead and reinstall zonealarm.

i'd also like to know if my screen would flicker on and off for some other reason, i scaned my computer and it didn't pick up any other kind of problems. but i have a lot of errors in the event viewer, i'm not sure how to fix all of those either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Daemonica

Hi there. It seems like the boot.ini file in system is corrupt. Usually this is the main cause for a bootscreen error. Put in the recovery CD or repair CD. Restart the computer, keep tapping f8. Select boot from disk option, let the OS load for a bit, then you should be greeted with a recovery console. Type fixboot into this and press enter. Reboot.

Might resolve the crashes, but it definately either sounds like a .ini file error or a shedueled task error.

With regard to the screen problem, the flicker is caused usually by overheating or a refresh rate bug. Right click on the desktop, select properties, select Settings, then click Advanced. In this new window, click the Monitor tab, then change the refresh rate to something lower. Apply the changes by pressing OK. Then press the Fn key on the kyboard and press f8. This will usually refresh the monitor.

Also, what type of monitor do you have? What make is it? Does it have a model number?
    For the Zonealarm issue, I would recommend completely uninstalling Zonealarm from the programs list in control panel. Then use the system restore in windows to undo the registry changes too.

I would personally recommend Avast security. It's free, cheap and powerful but at the same time non intrusive and fairly lightweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

As the previous poster mentioned, looks like you just need to fix some boot files like the boot.ini

But, if you prefer you could do a repair install.
    Here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055503992

iRock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brigantia

hi

i have a Dell monitor, my computer is a Dell Dimension 5100.

i tried the recovery console, after a while i got it right (it was the space). i'm not sure about trying the fixboot, i'm not sure what the line means that comes up, so i keep pressing N for no.

i seem to have a lot of errors in event viewer, whats the best way to fix them? again i'm not really sure what kind of programs they are, and i don't want to mess about with anything i'm not sure about.

i did have a disc for the monitor and i put that in, i got the driver files off of that.

i'm still not sure about it, i don't feel 100% about it.
    i tried windows update and microsoft update, but they didn't really have any driver updates.

i did an AVG scan and an Ad-Aware scan, i did the check disc for errors scan, but still the errors are coming up in event viewer with a couple of warning as well.

Advertisement