Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Persistent Network Problem

• 26-12-2007 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having an irritating network with my home wireless network and was wondering could anyone help me. I have a Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop which connects to an 802.11g wireless LAN at home, based in a Netgear DG843G v3 router. It's been working up until recently but, what's happening now is that when Windows XP boots, I'm told there is limited or no connectivity and the laptop ends up with a 169.x.x.x address.

When i click "repair" over the icon for my wireless NIC it reconnects fine, but the connection intermittently drops every 2-3 hours then. Seeing as this doesnt happen in college, Im assuming it's a fault with my router's DHCP server or something similar. I tried rebooting the router, plugging it out and back in, upgrading the drivers for my wireless NIC and using Lenovo's own network connection utilities to no effect. Should I just replace the router? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's your wireless connection that's dropping, not the DHCP server. Since your laptop is set to acquire it's IP form the DHCP, and since that is connected wirelessly, when the wireless loses connection, you lose your IP address.

A lot of people have found that because of the increase in wireless networks, all the interference is causing loss of signal. Some people I know have not been able to connect to their routers because of being blasted off the waves by a neighbour.

You can change the channel that your wireless broadcasts on and see if that helps.

Advertisement