Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cecil Nolan's set - brilliant!

Options
  • 26-12-2007 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So good to hear Cecil back playing his brilliant set.. brought back soooo many memories!

It was a nice break from the usual set lists (while I know the station has to play some songs regularly, there is only so much Ben Folds and REM you can listen to!) and to hear vinyl again on the radio is brilliant - bring it back!!!!!!

Well done Cecil - an absolute legend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I managed to hear some of Cecil Nolan's programme last night whilst driving. It was fantastic. While I was never in "The Grove", some of the older music Cecil played reminded me of teenage discos that I frequented. What a great idea! He definitely managed to recreate part of a bygone disco in this listener's head!

This programme had the feel of adventurous, pioneering radio. It reminded me somewhat of certain programs from the past on pirate radio.

Cecil Nolan is a natural for rock-oriented radio for music enthusiasts. His interest in music was infectious and his style of delivery was very natural and down-to-earth. He ended the program with the last tune he every played in "The Grove" - "Smells Like Teen Sprit" by Nirvana. How well thought out that was and what a great song (imo) to finish the show with.

It would be great if Phantom could have programs like that again. It also shows that you do not have to be under 40 (or indeed under 50 in Cecil's case!) to have an adventurous taste in music and an appeal to younger music fans.

Advertisement