Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Eircom Wireless?

Options
  • 26-12-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Hi, ive got Eircom home wireless and its supposed to be 100mbps, but all i can get is 54. My security is locked so nobody is hogging my connection, so i want to know, can i upgrade to like 400mbps?

I looked on the Eircom site and could only find first time connection bundles. I play on Xbox Live and need a good connection. Anybody know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Hi, ive got Eircom home wireless and its supposed to be 100mbps, but all i can get is 54. My security is locked so nobody is hogging my connection, so i want to know, can i upgrade to like 400mbps?

I looked on the Eircom site and could only find first time connection bundles. I play on Xbox Live and need a good connection. Anybody know?

You may want to check your figures. Your Broadband is more like 1,2 or 3 Mbps. Your wireless connection between your PC and Router is 54Mbps and a wired connection to your router would be 100Mbps. So the broadband is your bottleneck not your home network.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its supposed to be a 1meg connection. And so all i can get on wireless is 54mbps, ok.

Can i upgrade to like 4meg so i could get 2/3 on wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You will typically get approx 800/900Kbps on a 1 meg line so yes you could upgrade with Eircom to a 3Mbps service which will give you a connection of approx 2.6 Mbps.

1 Meg service = 800/900Kbps = internet connection from ISP to Router/Modem

54Mbps = Standard wireless connection from Router to PC. This can vary depending on what walls the signal is going through and other local interference.

Often people see the 100Mbps pop-up in their task bar and think this is their internet connection speed. The 100Mbps is the standard PC to Router speed when wired. Once your PC to Router speed (54Mbps wireless or 100Mbps wired) is above your ISP service speed (1,2 or 3Mbps) then you should be fine.

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

great Cal thanks a million for the help!

Advertisement