Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Punto overheating

Options
  • 26-12-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

my punto overheated earlier and i threw water on it to cool it down,then i put some water in the radiator

later i turned on the car and left in running and after about 2 minutes it started to heat up again so i left it.

what might be the problem is it the head gasket?????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Check to see whether the radiator is leaking (happened to a Punto I once owned), there could be a blockage in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

i put water water in the radiator and it cooled straight away was this a good thing to do or indifferant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

what kind of punto is it, ie year, mk1 or 2, 8v, 16v etc
    it could be either a blocked cooling system, water pump, thermostat, air in the system, leaky rad etc etc.,
    is the heating inside the car working?
    have a look under the oil cap and see if theres any white gunky looking stuff., that will tell you that the head gasket is gone.,

vtec wrote: »
    what kind of punto is it, ie year, mk1 or 2, 8v, 16v etc
    it could be either a blocked cooling system, thermostat, air in the system, leaky rad etc etc.,
    is the heating inside the car working?
    have a look under the oil cap and see if theres any white gunky looking stuff., that will tell you that the head gasket is gone.,

the heating in the car is not working

the car is a mk1 16v 1.2 sx60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Oh oh. Head gasket's the most likely culprit on an older punto. If the coolant level is dropping a little bit, and it's overheating in a matter of minutes, that's what it'll be I reckon.

Best price I found to have one done was €500 including parts and labour.

Gil

• Advertisement

if its a 16valve then its unlikey to be HG, they dont suffer from the same problems as the 8v and also can take running hot much better than the 8v., I dont think yours is a 16v being a 60sx though.,
    have you looked at the oil cap OP?

i filled the radiator with water and drove and rev'd it up a bit and all seems to be fine

i didnt check the cap i will in the morning but all seems to be fine

be careful with it though, if you over fill it, it will blow the rad cap off and leak all over the place.,
    If it got to the stage of over heating then your gonna need to bleed the system to remove trapped air in it, the fact that you have no heating inside the car means this defo needs doing,. then theres the cause of the air in the system., My money would be on the waterpump or the core plug beside it.,
    what year is your car actually?.,

how would i go about bleeding the rad

the car is a 99

you have to run it until the engine is at normal temp and put the heating on full, then get a good water supply, (a couple of bottles or a hose and undo the bleed valve on the water pipes behind the throttle body, at first it wont leak because theres air in there but once the circulation gets around your see it spit at first and then it should squirt out, when it does you need to replace the bleed screw and tighten it up, (dont over tighten this), you should start to notice the heating comming back but uf uts only luke warm you need to do it again, theres also another bleed screw on the rad.,

• Advertisement

vtec wrote: »
    you have to run it until the engine is at normal temp and put the heating on full, then get a good water supply, (a couple of bottles or a hose and undo the bleed valve on the water pipes behind the throttle body, at first it wont leak because theres air in there but once the circulation gets around your see it spit at first and then it should squirt out, when it does you need to replace the bleed screw and tighten it up, (dont over tighten this), you should start to notice the heating comming back but uf uts only luke warm you need to do it again, theres also another bleed screw on the rad.,

thanks for your help i'll try it in the morning

the bleed valve behind the trottle body is the rear bleeder or the rad bleeder which i think is not near the trottle body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

with the engine cold, start the car, from under the bonnet remove the radiator/expansion tank cap. Pull the throttle cable or get someone to press the pedal. If you see bubbles the head gasket is gone, most likley on older punto.

Advertisement