Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milkmen

• 27-12-2007 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

You know milkmen with a van and glass bottles and stuff? Do they still exist? And so the glass bottles still exist? Swiping a bottle on the way home seemed a lot less like thievery than jumping into the back of a hiace and taking a carton.

Its been a slow Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

They still do as you can see....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6KYjjm6k8VQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Those Women Were In The Nip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Everybody knows its not stealing if its 5am and no-one is watching.

Those vans were very accessible in fairness, almost a shame not to.

micmclo wrote: »
    Let me be the first to say you're a theiving bastard :eek:
    Seriously, swiping someone's milk??

No, no from the vans not the doorsteps.

Also was teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Conor108 wrote: »
    Those Women Were In The Nip!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Peared wrote: »
    No, no from the vans not the doorsteps.

Also was teenager.

Apologies, that makes it ok so :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The bottles are long gone but cartons are delivered to the door steps.

micmclo wrote: »
    Apologies, that makes it ok so :rolleyes:

Yes its the honest Irish way of stealing that doesn't count.

Actually have never stolen anything before or since.

You're makin me feeel bad :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭crushproof

a friend of mine from wicklow couldnt believe that we actually have a guy who comes around and delievers milk early in the morning. He still didnt believe it until he actually saw the milkman one morning.
    Ah....country folk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

both milk floats and glass bottles still exsist in england, remember relatives getting glass bottles in fermanagh and kildare around 15 years ago, only ever seen cartoons being delivered here though during the last 10 years or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I was installing a light in the attic and found an old milk bottle must of belonged to the original builders!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Jeez, topics of conversation must have run dry if we're talking about bottles of milk.
    Coincidentially I still have the special milk bottle they made for the world cup 1990. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Those cartons just don't cut the mustard when you're caught short on the motorway, miles from the nearest service station. Give me a bottle anyday!:D

Progress is pi*s all over the driver's seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

BobbyD10 wrote: »
    Jeez, topics of conversation must have run dry if we're talking about bottles of milk.
    Coincidentially I still have the special milk bottle they made for the world cup 1990. :)

same here, its in my grans glasscase !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I found one of those old bottles a while back. I keep it in the shed. It says milk bottles ltd on it or something. Remember the Millenium bottles? they were rad.

gcgirl wrote: »
    same here, its in my grans glasscase !!

Lol..the thing's people keep... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Stupid milk is always outside the door when I'm in a rush to leave and I can't leave it there because someone always gives out! And the milkman always calls to get paid when there is no one in the house but me and I can't find any money.

I don't even bloody well drink milk!

Although, it's nice that it's there just in case I get over my whole 'milk makes me gag' phase that I've been going through for 12 years.

I was always jealous when my friends got the glass bottles delivered when I was younger. The milk always seemed nicer!

I remember when the left bottles and the damn birds would break the foil top on them...aaarrhh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Helper_Monkey

To my shame, as a student, my friends and I would often lift a bottle of milk/OJ/loaf of bread coming home at 6 in the morning. I lived on Baggot st so the pickings were bountyful.
    One time my friend and I lifted a loaf or two of bread from one of those crappy cafes on baggot street and got spotted by the bread man. He was still in his van so he floored it after us, actually crossing i the road into the worng lane to catch us. We managed to lose him running down an alley with a low bridge over it. It put the scares on us, and I think we never 'stole' again. Im sure we would have got into a scrap as he sounded well peeved.

• Advertisement

BobbyD10 wrote: »
    I remember when the left bottles and the damn birds would break the foil top on them...aaarrhh..

Yeah whats the story with that? The cream would rise to the top so was it a different type of milk cos that doesnt happen anymore?

Thought maybe some of the boggers would still have the old styley milkman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

only saw that in Father Ted's episode...in these recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I saw the local milkman in Malahide delivering one night and asked for a pint of milk - neither of us had change, so he said "pay me Saturday". that was 1994 and I still owe him. :(
    Peared wrote: »
    Yeah whats the story with that? The cream would rise to the top so was it a different type of milk cos that doesnt happen anymore?
    Milk is now homoginised (mixed), meaning it doesn't settle as much as un-homoginised milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

To my shame, as a student, my friends and I would often lift a bottle of milk/OJ/loaf of bread coming home at 6 in the morning. I lived on Baggot st so the pickings were bountyful.
    One time my friend and I lifted a loaf or two of bread from one of those crappy cafes on baggot street and got spotted by the bread man. He was still in his van so he floored it after us, actually crossing i the road into the worng lane to catch us. We managed to lose him running down an alley with a low bridge over it. It put the scares on us, and I think we never 'stole' again. Im sure we would have got into a scrap as he sounded well peeved.
    How long ago was that?
    I haven't seen a bread man in about 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Terry wrote: »
    How long ago was that?
    I haven't seen a bread man in about 20 years.
    Bread man still comes to my next door neighbour, we never used him though.

Heh, the best was on a Saturday morning and people would have OJ delivered. Nothing better than OJ for drunken pre-sleep drinking.

Advertisement