Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teletubbies and Microsoft

• 27-12-2007 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Woa,

I just learned tonight that Microsoft invented the Teletubbies and discontinued their toys program in 2000.
    For god sake...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actimates

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

???

It didn't say MIcrosoft invented them

Just that they released a Tellytubbie version of their Actimate product

Says here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletubbies they were created by Anne Wood

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:rolleyes:

With the possible exception of "microsoft bob" there have bee very few real inventions to come out of the Microsoft stables. A lot of adopting and re-naming existing stuff.

And every time I hear Barney singing I think of Halloween III

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Sean_K wrote: »
    ???

It didn't say MIcrosoft invented them

Just that they released a Tellytubbie version of their Actimate product

Says here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletubbies they were created by Anne Wood

My bad

:rolleyes:

With the possible exception of "microsoft bob" there have bee very few real inventions to come out of the Microsoft stables. A lot of adopting and re-naming existing stuff.

And every time I hear Barney singing I think of Halloween III

Yep I agree, but they are very strong at turning other people inventions into big cash :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I've come across quite a few Mickysoft consultants and from experience, they've no idea. All theory, can't do it in real life...

The company really don't have any originality.

• Advertisement

I've come across quite a few Mickysoft consultants and from experience, they've no idea. All theory, can't do it in real life...

The company really don't have any originality.

Well you have seen a few.
    I have access to internal Microsoft email/distribution lists/resources although I am not an employee and do not even work for Microsoft more than a couple of days a year.
    I can tell you, for also have meet a lot of them, they have some really kick ass guys. Very impressive skills and experience. They could shoot you down at every single technical sentense that would come out of your mouth.

Now they do have some monkeys as well, like any other companies.
    What is brilliant with Microsoft, and I have never seen this anywhere else, is the passion they have about their own products. They believe so much in their products, this is incredible. They do mistakes, they know it, like anybody else, but that feels good to see such positive people sometimes :-)

And another thing you we did not mentioned, is that Microsoft also invented a lot of things, they created models, frameworks, developed and co-developed protocols which are industry standards nowadays.

Anyway I firmly believe, and I am sure many of you would agree, without Microsoft, what would we be today and where? Apple experts? Novell experts?
    Those companies are still millions of km behind Microsoft when it comes to enterprise products and solutions.

Microsoft is generating a tremendous amount of cash and we all have a share of it, we live from it. Well at least me and many others down here I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

mick.fr wrote: »
    They could shoot you down at every single technical sentense that would come out of your mouth.

Arrogant and ridiculous statement.
    Microsoft is generating a tremendous amount of cash and we all have a share of it, we live from it. Well at least me and many others down here I suppose.

We all know Mickysoft generate lots of cash, but the anti-competition rulings judge that they don't always play fair.

IPB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jmcdoe

Well you have seen a few.
    I have access to internal Microsoft email/distribution lists/resources although I am not an employee and do not even work for Microsoft more than a couple of days a year.
    I can tell you, for also have meet a lot of them, they have some really kick ass guys. Very impressive skills and experience. They could shoot you down at every single technical sentense that would come out of your mouth.

What, excuse me? I'd be very interested how they shot me down for this sentence:

What is, since when, and what is for, so called "memory allocation granularity" in Windows.

I've heard so many answers so far, one more laughable from another. I'll give your Mickeysoft boys a chance to make another joke of a month here.
    Now they do have some monkeys as well, like any other companies.
    What is brilliant with Microsoft, and I have never seen this anywhere else, is the passion they have about their own products. They believe so much in their products, this is incredible. They do mistakes, they know it, like anybody else, but that feels good to see such positive people sometimes :-)
    This reminds me of when I was a little kid building stuff from sand or Lego blocks later on. I didn't know much about it, but I was very passionate with results of my work. What a striking similarity.
    And another thing you we did not mentioned, is that Microsoft also invented a lot of things, they created models, frameworks, developed and co-developed protocols which are industry standards nowadays.
    Now, that is an interesting statement. Not even a month has passed in '08 but we already have quote of a year. I'm afraid that Microsoft haven't really invented or developed anything except new marketing models: stealing, extortion, bullying, monopoly and destruction of potential threads (eg innovative competition).

All of Monkeysoft crappy piece of junk is actually purchased off from some other companies or monkeyboys. They haven't developed neither Xenix nor MS-DOS, early Windows and office applications themselves. They have bought every single product from someone else. Ohhh OKay. They wrote Microsoft Baisc, all right. And Windows NT. But then NT wasn't much of an invention as it was just rewrite of OpenVMS (by the very same team of developers) with Win95 (earlier OS/2) GUI stacked on top.

Protocols? What protocols? Let me guess: NetBeui. Hahaha, what a joke. Every other protocol they have ever used has been developed long before. All they ever did is changed it so it became non standard and non compatible. They haven't even managed to write TCP/IP stack themselves, they've just ripped it off BSD Unix. That's why you have "Winsock" because it's BSD Sockets on Windows. Internet Explorer? This is just re branded and expanded NCSA Mosaic. They even acknowledge it in the About screen. And the best part, it's 2008 and they still send your domain username and password in clear text (yes!) without even asking, to authenticate to a proxy request. Obviously this is secure because they make it harder now to install Network Monitor. And this company is claiming they are making firewalls now. What a f* joke.
    Anyway I firmly believe, and I am sure many of you would agree, without Microsoft, what would we be today and where? Apple experts? Novell experts?
    Those companies are still millions of km behind Microsoft when it comes to enterprise products and solutions.
    And what would be Windows without stealing openly everything from Mac OS? Surely, Mac OS GUI was stolen from Xerox (they didn't mind though) but that doesn't make Microsoft invent GUI at any point. And would you have Active Directory without Novell first making NDS and Netscape making LDAP? I doubt it very much. Novell is dead but Apple is expanding it's market very steadily. Mainly thanks to the new invention from the far north west - The Non Working OS.
    I call it theft and extortion. Hopefully Vista crap is their last OS ever. It certainly looks like it. Dead on boot. I can certainly smell the future of Monkeysoft. By no means I'm implying they will die, I just think their revenue will be now mostly from Xbox and related BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wow, you registered just to post that vitriol. Microsoft steal your sweetie's as a kid or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Jaysus mick.fr, you put your out to be slapped there! The passionate people you talk refer to are commonly referred to as Fanboys LOL. There are some good MS people out there, but not many that have a broad knowledge of solutions outside of M$. The sam could be said about the *nix camp, but generally they have a decent understanding of M$ products ad services.
    mick.fr wrote:
    They could shoot you down at every single technical sentense that would come out of your mouth

Speak for yourself hehe.
    mick.fr wrote:

No offence, but you really need to work with these technologies to some degree of decent implemtation/administration before you make statements like this. In fact, if you would give examples, in the enterprise (15,000 users+) where M$ is millions ahead I would be very interested to read it.

I'm part of a technology team that supports over 25,000 users across 100 hospitals and clinics. We use a mix of technolgies including AIX and even in some cases Nextstep. However, our main directory service is Novell, sure we use AD and Exchange as well but all mission-critical apps, like the medical record system, medical imaging etc run and authenticate from Novell.

Why, because it still the most scaleable & stable system and TBH I think the medical industry is a good reference point for this. If we have failures, people can die, seriously, for that very reason, we dont use AD\MS for mission-critical situations.

Novell has certainly stagnated in recent times, but MS did'nt put money in their kitty wthout good reason!

I can only guess that you have not worked with OS X server either otherwise you wouldn't come out with such a blind statement. Millions of miles behind MS, I'm sorry, but I don even know where to start with that one.

For your own sake, take your head out of MS's ass and REALLY look into the alternatives in detail. Trust me you'll make a lot more money and your career will be an aweful lot more interesting.
    Novell is dead but Apple is expanding it's market very steadiy

I thought Novell was almost dead too until I got into the bigger enterprise and medical fields. Novell is prettymuch the way to go with these companies. Apple are making some inroads in the consumer market, but (regretably) their dent in the server market still has a way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OK , Im not going to lash the boot in to any company here , but that comment above that I quoted is so far out of the ball part its hard to know how anyone in the industry could make it.

Microsoft are king of the desktop, ( and will probably stay that way until linux doesnt rely so heavily on the command line and supports games ) but when it comes to enterprise applications they are nowhere near the top. Im sure they would be the first to admit it. Mission critical apps rarely rely on Microsoft , and for very very good reasons. They might be OK for internal office intranets , but transaction databases , medical ,financial apps and so on are firmly in the hands of more stable operating environments.Usually some kind of Unix/Linux or variant.

The key point is this , what do Microsoft run their mission critical apps on ? I bet its not their own software ?
    Its 3 years now since I left Big Blue , but at the time , I had it on good authority that it was AIX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

astrofool wrote: »
    Wow, you registered just to post that vitriol. Microsoft steal your sweetie's as a kid or something?

PMSL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jmcdoe

astrofool wrote: »

How about that? I have been browsing the boards as a guest so far. I've seen many BS here, but I've never seen me a guy who is so ignorant, arrogant and makes so juicy statements as:

"I work for Microsoft one day a year, but I have access to all the internal mail and I know everybody in there." I'm sure he is also dining with Bill on regular basis.

I'm sorry, I know it's a flame war but I couldn't help myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sometimes it good to vent this sort of stuff rather than hold it in or bore end users with the gory details.

My pet hate is that back in the early 80's Vaxen stored files with a version number. Revision control and going back to a previous version were trivial tasks compared to the current pain of implementing third party solutions to do that. And when you were finished the project you could just purge the working files to leave the final version.

Yes 2003 et al have a an option to do something with previous versions but too little too late. IMHO even though they bought the VMS team to develop it Windows is still over two decades behind for some pretty basic stuff.

/2c

jmcdoe wrote: »
    How about that? I have been browsing the boards as a guest so far. I've seen many BS here, but I've never seen me a guy who is so ignorant, arrogant and makes so juicy statements as:

"I work for Microsoft one day a year, but I have access to all the internal mail and I know everybody in there." I'm sure he is also dining with Bill on regular basis.

I'm sorry, I know it's a flame war but I couldn't help myself.

What kind of post is that seriously ?

You come here insulting people you do not know what I am doing, where I am coming from.
    For your information I am not working there 1 day a year like you said and yes my position is very special and I do have access to their email, specific range of developers based in Haifa Israel, and internal gurus from whom I am getting support when I need to.
    And so what is wrong with that?

And no I am not having diner with Bill Gates, what is that again ?

Man to man tell me what is your background and what you do.
    I will be happy to share ideas with you.
    I mean let's have a civilized conversation?

Jaysus mick.fr, you put your out to be slapped there! The passionate people you talk refer to are commonly referred to as Fanboys LOL. There are some good MS people...

That is precisely because my experience is based on heterogeneous environment I can talk about that.
    I worked only for big companies and I have seen Windows, Unix, IBM, Novell networks, and guess what? if Windows Active Directory was that unreliable, even for mission critical backend systems, we would be aware.
    Don't you think so?

I mean you are talking about Windows AD and other products not being reliable enough that could put people's life in danger, I mean, no offense but if you are posting this kind of thing that is because you have a bad perception and not enough exposure to the products.

And again you take your current job experience to justify this? I mean you need several examples, statistics to justify this.

Again other people talking about the fact companies are not using Microsoft products to host critical backend applications. I suppose you are talking about email, database servers, seriously guys where are you coming from?

You know ERP right? Historically it always ran on Oracle. Take BAN, SAP, PeopleSoft. That's another story.
    I mean seriously guys do you have an idea of the range of the Oracle applications is? The ****tiest product range ever. Oracle financial...Nightmare to install, nightmare to develop.

I know all this ****.

I know several Linux distros, I know OpenBSD, I know the pain associated with those products when it comes to patches, application deployment, enterprise reporting, bugs,...
    Do you know that sometimes patches take 6 months because Linus Torvald is gone on holidays and that Redhat won't release a Kernel fix til the Man is back.

There are still people thinking that Linux is the way to go because it is far more reliable and that Windows is crap. I do have both experience, I like both.

This is ridiculous guys you need to get more experience, some additional exposure.

mick.fr wrote:
    Man to man tell me what is your background and what you do.
    I will be happy to share ideas with you.
    As has been pointed out to you before not everyone here publicise information about themselves.

No doubt someone will link your suggestion of sharing ideas to the way Microsoft have shared ideas in the past...

Locking as no one is going to change their opinions on this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement