Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

next car dilemma

• 27-12-2007 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

I am in an "uncharacteristic" dilemma about what car to get next....

My (new) requirements are:
    - big load space to carry stuff as I travel to UK 3-4 times a year.
    - space for 2 adults and 2 kids (over the pram stage) (plus the above)
    - reasonable economy
    - diesel
    - e35k budget (prefer 2nd hand so someone else gets the early depreciation)
    - 20k miles a year

wont buy Audi or Honda (sorry Audi/Honda fans, prefer VW, Skoda or Toyota).

Have been looking at Merc E270CDI estate, S320 saloon, Toyota Avensis Verso D4D.

However, I can't seem to justify them over what I currently drive, which is:

A '96 Carina E for commuting and a V6 156 for any longer journeys. When going to the UK, I usually hire something (MPV, van or jeep)

Is there anything else out there I am missing or forgetting about...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

kyote00 wrote: »
    wont buy Audi or Honda (sorry Audi/Honda fans, prefer VW, Skoda or Toyota).

Why is that? They are practically from the same factory. Main difference being the respective models from Audi are generally made from better stuff ;)

I would have thought Audi & Honda would be up there on most peoples lists when buying a car. Both looks & mechanics (& reliability) considered, they are 2 of the best.

A BMW 320D Touring Perhaps? http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=810316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Seperate wrote: »
    Why is that? They are practically from the same factory. Main difference being the respective models from Audi are generally made from better stuff ;)

Had a feeling that would be controversial....Its simply that there seems to be a price premium for Audi and Honda over the others --- and this price premium is not justified (IMHO) when the car is going to see some "action"....

I'd have to get a BMW with indicators though :p . I think I need load space plus 4 seats so maybe the 530d touring might be an option...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

BMW 750 V12
    Not diesel of course, but a whole lotta fun and a boot the size of Cork unlike the newer generation touring limousines.

Jag S-Type
    Boot's not as big but a trailer'll sort that.

Saab 9-5
    Reckon it's an option for you anyway

Volvo V70
    Old faithful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote: »
    BMW 750 V12
    Not diesel of course, but a whole lotta fun and a boot the size of Cork unlike the newer generation touring limousines.
    Nice car, but eventually mr gormley is going to tax it out of existence.....
    (In 10yrs, I reckon owning a car will be as socially unacceptaable as chasing a fox across Co Meath on St Stephens day ! :D (runs for cover) )
    Jag S-Type
    Boot's not as big but a trailer'll sort that.
    I like it - except the front grille - very mark 2 jag but I have one of those already !
    Saab 9-5
    Reckon it's an option for you anyway
    Yes - had not considered it - thanks
    Volvo V70
    Old faithful
    Not quite ready for the blanket on my knees yet .....

(Ps. excellent options --- thanks !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

One of these would remove the requirement to hire when going to the UK. They are thirsty, but having been my taxi to and from dinner yesterday, they're DEFINITELY infinitely confortable....nice warm arse I had whe I go home :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is there anything else out there I am missing or forgetting about...

You like your 156, so how about a Alfa 166 2.4JTD?

Or as you suggested yourself, a 530d. Do you really need an estate? It sounds like a saloon car the size of the above would do the trick

Dark horse: Skoda Superb 2.0 diesel

You've a nice budget, but if I were you I wouldn't spend more than half of it. You won't get a much better / nicer car if you do spend it all imho and the extra money will be gone in two years time thanks to depreciation

thanks.

interesting comment about the budget. the budget is high to allow me to get a low mileage car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

can you actually get a 166 with diesel??? would love one if it was cheap, which it could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

thanks.

interesting comment about the budget. the budget is high to allow me to get a low mileage car

Well, seeing as you're ruling out Honda, than that leaves the 159 either the 150bhp 1.9 or the 2.4 JTD models to choose from. Do it.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    BMW 750 V12

I love how optimistic BMW are about their fuel economy. That car has a 5.4L V12. The needle will never be pointing at 50 or 30 ;)

773896_20070821120835_9.jpg

finally solved my dilemma...so to close the thread....

went for a Toyota Avensis tourer d4d.

Brought an 07 with 2200 miles in from the UK....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

:eek:NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I mean... well wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

3ps wrote: »
    can you actually get a 166 with diesel??? would love one if it was cheap, which it could be.

There was but LHD only. It was the 2.4 JTD engine.

Advertisement