Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread closed for no apparent reason

Options
  • 27-12-2007 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was just wondering could you please tell me why my thread was closed http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055206627. I was just trying to inform people who bet with paddy power that they could be availing of a 10% increase in odds. No one pm'd me or anything so i'd just like the answer thank you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Hi, i was just wondering could you please tell me why my thread was closed http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055206627. I was just trying to inform people who bet with paddy power that they could be availing of a 10% increase in odds. No one pm'd me or anything so i'd just like the answer thank you.

Its rule one of Boards. Pay for your adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Karoma wrote: »
    These matters can usually be resolved quicker and better and with less kittens by sending a private message to the moderators of the forum (Log out -> view forum -> Scroll to the bottom)
    In this case, the moderators are Hobart and RuggieBear (CMod of the sports category)

I did send a pm to them, if thats the case. I think itd be easier if they sent me a pm telling me why it was closed. And the other poster said i should pay advertising why? because im trying to give follow gambalers an extra 10%? Ive never once posted about paddy power before im just passing along information. Is the forum bargains all advertising? Exactly, thought as much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Is it definitely spam? Doesn't necessarily have to be, could be just someone passing on news of a bonus offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is it definitely spam? Doesn't necessarily have to be, could be just someone passing on news of a bonus offer.

@ANXIOUS: I had retracted and deleted my post just as/before you hit reply. Damn you.

I've looked through 200+ of your posts, whatever else about your time on boards.ie you don't look like a shill. *shrug*

I promise its not spam its me passing on information to benefit other backers? The exact same as me giving a code to get free delivery from amazon or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is why mods should say why a post is being locked while doing so.

eoin_s wrote: »
    This is why mods should say why a post is being locked while doing so.

couldnt agree more, it wouldve cut down on numerous threads in feed back. I know mods do a lot but if they stated in the thread why it was closed and pm'd the op so they knew who locked it. The amount of time'hassle it would save. I know it seems harsh but if anything itt pat should be banned for aledging i was spamming then trying to play it off with a link to the definetion to joke.. Its not after hours, after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

yea you wouldn't be the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seems innocent enough to me but its not on my watch.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well to be fair, he just locked the thread. Its not like he shot your dog.

It could have been a little clearer why but I think its a fair compromise or otherwise we will have people coming here "explaining" to our users about the "amazing deals" they have for them. And we'll be up to our oxters in such informercials. I think Bargain Alerts would have been a better place to put it perhaps...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I know mods do a lot but if they stated in the thread why it was closed and pm'd the op so they knew who locked it. The amount of time'hassle it would save.
    In cases of spam, it's generally a matter of just locking the thread and leaving it at that. Spam isn't worthy of an explanation, why waste the energy an electrons. The volume of spam is far higher than users see, so to reply to every piece of spam explaining why they are locked, would take far more energy than it takes me to reply to you here.

You fell into that tiny category where you ticked all the right boxes for spam, but actually weren't. It happens, it's no big deal like DeV says.

Hobart closed it, he probably hasn't seen this thread. PM him if you'd like an explanation.

Hi, mod returned my pm earlier reason it was closed was because it become off topic. He invited me to start a new thread. The reason i didnt put it in bargain alerts was becauses i felt only the people in horse racing would be interested. I would like to thank hobart for his quick reply

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats the argument of marketing spammers. "I felt justified in cluttering up the forum because the people I wanted to advertise to were there". If 10 other people (possibly shillers) took that view the forum becomes unusuable.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Yeah but it's not like he linked with a referral id or anything. I thought normal practice for OT posts was to warn the people going OT rather than lock the thread. Seems it was a bona fide deal for horse racing punters.

Would you have put it in Bargain Alerts if it was an online poker special? Or would you have told anyone at all ;)

Advertisement