Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

After Getting Hit By Drunk Driver

Options
  • 27-12-2007 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Driving back from realatives tonight in Swords, halting to a stop at the juction at Campions Pub on the Malahide road, got shunted from the back and then into the back of another car, got out walked over to the car that hit me, a Renault Seanic, before i said a word the driver said ''I accept full responsability'', grand so walked over to the lady that i went into, she was distraught, so the Shades and the Paramedics were called then the fire brigade, whilst waiting for the aforementioned the drunk starts saying ''Were blocking the road we better move over'' no chance, was back over trying to get the lady to calm down, when i seen him starting to drive off, ran over to the car and took the keys out of the ignition whilst him driving off.

He got out and i thought he was going to deck me one, so by that stage i had his keys and he said ''Well you now have my keys so you were driving my car:eek:'' i turned around and said ''No i was driving my car thats registerd in my name'', the chap knew he was toast. so yer man gets carted away by the Gardai and put in the back of a Mondeo, brethalised and the like, and then gets taken away for us to clear up after him:mad:.

So i now have to go court to press charges and the like, insurance and the like.

What is the story now for claiming off this bollix? I know if your drunk while your behind the wheel the insurance wont cover you (especally if you crash, just wondering about my own car)

The Renault is a write off, the car infront off me only got a few scratches to the back bumper.

The 'oul Carina isnt looking too healthy:(

You can judge for yourself, paint the front bumper and a new back bumper and hit out the back panel, no boot floor damage:)

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You OK?

The drunk's insurance has to pay you. You or your insurance has to pay the woman in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yea i'm grand thanks, just going to get messy thats all, my car will be written off for sure, 11 year old ex taxi, i'll have to sort somthing out myself:rolleyes:

Your womans car shouldnt off sufferd any major damage,look at the front of mine 2nd picture, she was more shocked than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Glad ur ok i would have decked him though i know thats not the answer.

As for the drink driving if the gardai charge him you will only be called as a witness for the state if the offender pleads not guilty. Here your evidence would be straight forward. Expect the Gardai to be contacting you i n the next few days for a statement.

Your ins co. will look after the rest, you should never have to be in contact with that man again.

Be glad ur ok and not another ugly statistic on our roads.

Ps. i mean that in a nice way i can imaagine ur raging with the prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Yea i'm grand thanks
    You might be suffering from whiplash...the pain doesn't manifest itself for a few days.

Oh, make sure you tell the garda that he tried to drive off.
    You might be suffering from whiplash...the pain doesn't manifest itself for a few days.
    Indeed, woke up the morning after an accident feeling sore and bruised, but it was nothing compared to the following morning, when it felt like a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

at least you ok huh,. a said above whiplash can take up to 6months to have an effect on you. I had something similar myself., your car is defo a write off from the pics anyway but they should just pay you its value and leave the car with you.,
    it doesnt matter if the bloke was drunk or not when it comes to your claim, thats what the "third party" means and your insurance company should look after everything for you anyway.,
    To think of the amount of adds the cops are doing and telling people that they are out in force to catch drink drivers and the arseholes still do it.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

I was in a crash exactly like this a year ago except the other driver was texting when he hit me. The drivers insurance paid out for my car and also the car that i hit as a result as he claimed full responsibility. My car was a write off and the in front had slight rear damage. My insurance company had nothing to do with the case and the whole thing was dealt with within two weeks by the drivers insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Victor wrote: »
    You OK?

The drunk's insurance has to pay you. You or your insurance has to pay the woman in front.

that doesnt seem fair
    why would the op have to pay out or be penalised - he did nothing wrong and was not at fault

the way madson describes it seems much fairer
    the guy at the back who caused the accident ( or his insurance ) should pay for both cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The drunks insurance will pay up for both cars - either directly or by the OP's insurer paying the lady in front and then recouping the costs from the drunk guy's insurers. The OP won't take the hit.

Glad you're ok by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah whiplash, its great ;)

Seriously though, glad you are okay. It had to be a drunk did'nt it?.

Oh that first picture is huge (not dial-up friendly at all).

Mike.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, i know my car will be a write off for sure :mad::mad:, but i'll see if i can get her going again, just put the guts of €1k into her and i aint giving her up without a fight!:cool:. I'm grand tho just a bit pissed off about the whole situation, time of year and all that.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

i know my car will be a write off for sure :mad::mad:, but i'll see if i can get her going again

It's only a scratch - it'll buff out in no time.

Glad you are okay and "lived to tell the tale" and all that. I think it is more just the mess that you have to sort out at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

He got out and i thought he was going to deck me one, so by that stage i had his keys and he said ''Well you now have my keys so you were driving my car:eek:''

-VB-

unreal :(. what a langer. he must have been pretty drunk to come up with BS like that.

his insurance will be paying for all this though. the only reason you hit the car in front was because you were pushed into it so your insurance will not be paying seeing as how its his fault.

seriously though, for trying to drive off like that and pulling the other stunt with the keys i would not take it easy on this guy. let him have it and make sure you get it fixed at the most expensive place you can ;).

i hope this guy gets a driving ban and if he was breathalysed he should too. keep us posted.

Turns out the fella that went into me was twice over the legal limit, the lady and her young son i went into was in Beaumount Hospital all last night, with brusing and sore neck.

The Bastard.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 watchinpaintdry

A rare TRD-tuned Carina... it's bound to be a write off :rolleyes:

A rare TRD-tuned Carina... it's bound to be a write off :rolleyes:

No its actually a TRD tec not a real TRD Carina:rolleyes:.

Get over it.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

As a fellow Carina driver and a veteran of a few bumps over the years, maybe it's me, but I can't see why this is a write-off from the photos. I'm sure you know, since you drive the thing, but personally I would be inclined to negotiate with the insurers if I could fix it up myself (Carina parts are generally readilly available from scrapyards - I know for a fact that the guy in Swords by the Texaco garage has a Carina in).

Don't be drawn into this whiplash claim stuff - self respect is more important !

As a fellow Carina driver and a veteran of a few bumps over the years, maybe it's me, but I can't see why this is a write-off from the photos. I'm sure you know, since you drive the thing, but personally I would be inclined to negotiate with the insurers if I could fix it up myself (Carina parts are generally readilly available from scrapyards - I know for a fact that the guy in Swords by the Texaco garage has a Carina in).

Don't be drawn into this whiplash claim stuff - self respect is more important !

Im a panel beater by trade, i've seen newer cars been written off for less, a car will be written off if the cars repair bill exceeds 1/3 of the OMP (open market price) of the car it will be deemed a un-economical repair (a write off). And the fact that the car is a ex-taxi will also go against me.

-VB-

green123 wrote: »
    that doesnt seem fair why would the op have to pay out or be penalised - he did nothing wrong and was not at fault
    In such an incident, you are responsible to the vehicle in front of you - in essence you didn't leave enough space in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Victor wrote: »
    In such an incident, you are responsible to the vehicle in front of you - in essence you didn't leave enough space in front.

That may depend on the force of the impact, meaning it depends on how fast the third car was moving.

Essentially what will happen with the insurance is that the owner of the lead car will claim from the insurance of the second car. In turn, the insurer of the second car will claim for its own damage and the damage of the lead car from the insurance of the third car. And so it works its way back the line. The NCB of the front 2 cars should not be affected as their insurers will recoup their costs from the insurer of the last car in the line.

OP; sorry to hear about your accident.

• Advertisement

I was slowing down to stop at a red light, thats when your man went into me.

Was down with the Gardai tonight producing my ins details, i asked about the insurance situation, the Garda said the drunk pays for all the damages, clear cut as that really.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Was down with the Gardai tonight producing my ins details, i asked about the insurance situation, the Garda said the drunk pays for all the damages, clear cut as that really.

-VB-

Glad you've got your question solved and you're ok.:) I was hit head on in a hit and run by a drunk, who wasnt breathalised and all charges (leaving the scene, dangerous driving, not reporting an accident etc) were DROPPED against her! She paid for the damage but that's not really the point. Oh and I know she was drunk/over the limit beacuse my cousin, who witnessed it, had been working in her pub that day and served her. Apart from the shock, I was ok and so were the other two in the car so I suppose that's the main thing!

Advertisement